535i Andrew

Personalised reg numbers

Personalised reg numbers who has one?   41 members have voted

1. 1. Personalised reg numbers who has one?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

82 posts in this topic

I've sadly got a big birthday coming up and was debating wether or not to get a personalised reg.

I looked into buying C1ACR many years ago but I felt I couldn't quite justify the cool £1,000 asking price. It was in the days before a mortgage and I then used the money as a deposit when I moved in with my girlfriend who is now Mrs 535iAR.

I can't decide if they are a bit, well twee, when I look outside at my neighbours I shudder as they have a fleet of Audis on their driveway and I shudder again as said cars are equipped with same prefix and number then different initials as the last three digits.  I can't help but think that this matching and hers number plates makes these plates a bit naff. But then again a neighbour a few years back had on his Bentley, 100XXX, not that I could afford something like that!

I think it can set off a big 5er, something a bit different, with a personalised reg. 

Or are they for AR53HOL's?

Thoughts? 

IMG_0459.PNGI bought the wife one a few years ago now and she loves it,seen another for sale on DVLA website that has both our initials on a 52 plate which would do for my newly acquired 530i.

Edited by 740mick

I'm not a fan. Couldn't wait to get the m3 plate off my m3 when I bought it.

I think they're tolerable if they're not try hard or so contrived as to be laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

535i Andrew likes this

I have one and quite like it...but a cautionary tale, my business partner bought his Mrs who hadn't worked a day in her life AJ08 BEC, she promptly got a job and then left him.

535i Andrew likes this

I'm undecided on the whole personal plate thing, some are good but then others not so.

if you do get one, try and get one that someone else will want as you struggle to sell the private plates that are kind of meaningless 

it's the pricks that try so hard to make something out of nothing or the little shits that use the plate to try and deceive cameras or any other innocent party they might run into that spoil the game.

I have two they mean nothing to anyone but our family.

One bonus I have had insurance discounts, apparently vehicles on ageless plates are less likely to be stolen 

Edited by Alexak
Lennox likes this

3 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I think they're tolerable if they're not try hard or so contrived as to be laughable.

And

2 hours ago, Alexak said:

it's the pricks that try so hard to make something out of nothing or

Like trying to spell out John using sixes and fours and in the case of a colleague, Boyd out of sixes and G's.

I would like a non dating plate, saw something like 7025AR but it had a reserve price of £2-3k!

I have one, but it was a 40th birthday present from the missus so I dare not keep it on the car! :lol:

Most aren't 'personalised' plates in the sense that they were created by the owner, they just happen to be older 'normal' DVLA issues that fit with someone's initials, business name etc. 

But anyway, yes I have two. One of them, K8 LCJ, I bought about eight years ago for £295 - its significance? I call it my 'family plate' K8 = Kate, L = Lauren, C = Cameron, J = Julie, in other words, the kids and wife. I usually have that on my bike, but it's on retention as I'm in-between bikes at the moment.

The other is MD11 FLY . Now, for those of you not into civil aircraft types, the MD-11 was the successor to the DC-10 widebody passenger transport in the 90s and I thought that an aircraft type and 'FLY' as a reg plate was too good to miss, particularly at only £395. I think that DVLA missed a trick there. I've only assigned it once to a vehicle, a bike, but it's been on retention for a few years now. In the past I've been offered four figures for it from a couple of pilot colleagues, so I may just sell it on.

The only thing I think is a bit naff is when people space letters to make a word or name, also using the plate fixing bolts to create a dot or make a C look like and E etc - I saw that the other day. I just think that looks really crap, sorry.       

Edited by Loadmaster
535i Andrew likes this

"I think they're tolerable if they're not try hard or so contrived as to be laughable. "

That's my view. The better ones are ok-ish (e.g. I used to see M4 MUM around here), but some are pretty cringeworthy. There are loads of Land Rover vehicles around these days, mostly black, tinted windows, 'unique' plates...yawn.

I do already have a unique plate - the standard year-related one.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

535i Andrew likes this

I have an old 3 no/3digit plate at present stuck on the Previa, nothing spl just a nice balanced 750 on the end.

The B10 Alpina was bought with 3 digits and V8 on the end so just left there as p/owner was not willing to contribute to return costs.

there are some many naff and illegal plates it shows that fines and incorrect displays are all now not actioned.

Surely you'd have to be something of a CU11NNT to want that on the front of your pride and joy?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

I have one, but it's pretty subtle, especially as it's a 63 plate anyway, and I don't think anyone has yet detected it as a personalised plate without any prior prompting.  I just got it because it was available, cheap and a little nerdy!

DSC_4914a.jpg

If the spacing was M S63T GC it might be more noticeable; if you're a geek and know the designation for the engine in the M6 Gran Coupe!

If I could afford to and it was available, I'd not say no to 'M 1' on my M1.  Apparently it was sold for £331,500 in 2006!

Edited by RichardP

6 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

I do already have a unique plate - the standard year-related one. emoji1.png

You know that was my exact response to my colleague who was telling me about his personalised plate, when he was trying to tell me that a 6 was a B and a G was a D. He claimed it was unique and I retorted with "and so is mine or I should £&@/ing hope so!"

pidgeonpost likes this

33 minutes ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

I'm amazed that slipped through the DVLA as they hold back all the "rude" plates every time a new year/reg comes out! 

RichardP that's just sad! 

I have one that came with the car on the F11.

The combination doesn't mean anything to me and not bothered that it goes with the car when time comes to sell. 

P1010846.JPG

16 minutes ago, E39mad said:

I have one that came with the car on the F11.

The combination doesn't mean anything to me and not bothered that it goes with the car when time comes to sell. 

P1010846.JPG

If you want to flog that one I'll put you on to an old boss of mine, they are his initials.

E39mad likes this

11 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

I don't get them at all. Each to their own though. 

So you are in the AR53HOL or PEN15 camp then?:D

8 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

I don't get them at all. Each to their own though. 

I know what you mean.  I grew up with my family all having them, when they were unusual.  They are now common so a bit, take it or leave it.  I almost prefer to see expensive cars without them.  

I now have 2 on retention as well as on in the car...  the wife's not a fan.  In her industry you don't want identifiable tags. 

I have a 4 character one I have reserved for a motor bike...... ok midlife crisis chariot. 

13 minutes ago, Lennox said:

the wife's not a fan.  In her industry you don't want identifiable tags. 

So why then is it so common to see folk with easily identifiable personalised plates driving so badly? I've often thought when I've been carved up like a Christmas turkey by someone with a different plate, it makes it much easier to identify them. If you are going to drive like a tw@t surely you don't want more attention drawn to yourself.

PS is your Mrs a Baliff?:P

I have one, had it for years

M88RCC

Not currently on the car as I just bought it but I might put it on