Branton70

Increased emissions warning

Had increased emissions warning after eml light came on.

Fault reader code displayed as below.  I was told possible egr fault so removed and cleaned...it was very dirty and clogged up.  Replaced and cleared warning  but light has come back 2nd start after.  So either not fault or egr faulty.

Any suggestions please guys?

Mark

20170312_104034.jpg

With the EGR removed, I used a socket extension inserted into the opening where the exhaust gases pass through.

Then press the EGR valve open, it takes a fair amount of effort so put the EGR valve body against a solid object when you compress the spring opening the valve.

With the Valve held open, put your thumb over the vaccuum line hole.

Release the Valve, allowing it to close but hold your thumb in place for 10-15 seconds. Then remove your thumb, you will feel the suction when the opening is exposed allowing the air in.

If there is no suction, the diaphragm has failed.

You could also suck the small pipe which is a bit gross but will do the same thing,

ok so i removed the vacuum hose to the egr, cant feel anything when normal running, but can feel some suction when engine revved,, is this normal or has vacuum pressure convertor failed?

ideas guys?

thanks

On 29/03/2017 at 10:44 AM, Branton70 said:

ok so i removed the vacuum hose to the egr, cant feel anything when normal running, but can feel some suction when engine revved,, is this normal or has vacuum pressure convertor failed?

ideas guys?

thanks

Did you find out the problem?

I might be able to help on this one. I've just resolved a similar issue on my car.

This might not be the cause on your car but it was on mine, and it has happened before.

I recently did some pretty major work on my car (changed the steering rack) which involved lifting the engine and dropping the front sub-frame. That meant lots of potential for disturbing something, a hose, cables, connector, kinking/trapping/damaging a vacuum pipe etc.

Anyway once all done after a couple of test drives "Increased emissions" pops up.

Having had some fun with the vacuum system on my car before that was my prime suspect. What I did was disconnect each vacuum operated device at the "vacuum manifold" and check they all held a vacuum - I confirmed there were no leaks (a leak will caused increased emissions).

That's 

Swirl flaps (even if blanked off the hose needs to be vacuum tight)

Engine mounts

Exhaust flap

EGR

Here's the vacuum manifold, it lives under the intake manifold towards the front of the car:

image.png.d69fbbf2a3a916d072506ae75d254f0a.png

Seeing as the turbos were running fine I left the two hoses that feed them alone.

You do need a handheld vacuum gauge but the one I bought off ebay for about £12 was perfect.

Next I checked that with two taps disconnect from the vacuum manifold when I pulled a vacuum with the hand pump it leaked away instantly through the other open tap. And bingo here's the problem, a problem I've had before. Some crud possibly introduced through a vacuum hose leak, or in my case disconnecting and reconnecting them, had blocked one of the orifices. I cleaned them out with a piece of wire the correct diameter (a needle would probably be a good solution). Checked and the problem is fixed.

I managed to resolve this (just) without removing the intake manifold but it was fiddly.

20 minutes ago, JasonH said:

Of course the EGRs do get jammed up with oily crud - so that's a possible.

And as well as vacuum leaks the pressure converters do fail.

I cleaned my egr valve out last week as I did the swirl flaps and full service with all new filters 

My emissions light came on at the very start of the Bank Holiday. Got it diagnostics on it and "lean fuel mixture" was logged. Garage did a smoke test and said cam cover is leaking at the rear (where the pipe for the breather or something attaches to the cover). They sais they have changed a few of these recently,

Anybody else heard of this problem? I know the covers are plastic and I do have an oil weeping cam cover gasket but at £425 plus fitting (and plus vat I suspect),  this is going to be an expensive and annoying replacement. I asked if the crack could be sealed with epoxy but the mechanic said not. I don't think he has heard of modelling putty either. It is malleable and sets rock hard when "air dried"

E60 525i LCI 

I'm getting the increased emissions also, but a p3264 code.

This happened not long after a remap, garage is saying possibly O2 sensor or MAF. 

Well if that’s happened after you had it remapped then I would take it back and get them to sort it 

The only time I've seen that before was a failed 02 sensor in the exhaust, but it would need testing properly to confirm before outlaying on a new sensor. A remap won't have caused that if it's the 02 sensor, just bad timing.