Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marcus GTE

New E61 owner

12 posts in this topic

Hello! 

Im Marcus, and I'm the proud owner of this E61 535d m sport LCI 

hope to find the forum a good source of info on any issues that may pop up in the future. 

She goes into BMW tomorrow for a once over, so I'll know what needs doing. 

It has an oil leak, and I've read that this can be the red charge air hose that can perish. Hoping it's just that, as it is dirty; but I'll wait to see what the experts say. Expecting to spend some money on it to get it ship shape. 

In general though its in great shape for 109,000 miles. 

The sunroof (heard they are problematic) has been coded just to vent, so I'll ask about that when I'm in too. 

Cheers :)

IMG_4633.JPG

Edited by Marcus GTE
GStarrr and Hairyarse like this

Hi - welcome along! I've found this forum friendly and full of helpful folks. There's not much you can't get an answer to!

Hope all goes well with the health check.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Marcus GTE likes this

Lovely looking car you have there. Yes, they can be pricey to fix, but they are well worth it. I'm sure you are going to be very happy.

Marcus GTE likes this

Thanks. 

Im hoping it's just the intercooler pipework that's leaking and not either of the turbos. 

Think im doing the right thing taking it to BMW. £100 for a checkup and then I'll be better informed on where to go next. 

So BMW found that it's the large low pressure turbo that's leaking oil. Bad news. 

Its currently at my family mechanics waiting on them looking at it on Monday. 

Im looking into getting the turbo refurbished,  if I can find somewhere that does it properly. 

Update from my mechanic today, 

there is is a foam filter missing from a crank case vent that is allowing oil to enter the charge air hose system and leak out past the intercooler hose seals. 

My guy guy also told me that nothing had been disturbed for a while in respect to what was required to strip down to inspect the low pressure turbo. And that there was minimal play in the impeller shaft. So basically the dealer lied to me that any inspection had taken place, including a face to face discussion of the internal condition of the low pressure turbo. They also charged £100 for the privilege and wanted £2858 to fit a new turbo. 

Unbelieveable. 

1 hour ago, Marcus GTE said:

Update from my mechanic today, 

there is is a foam filter missing from a crank case vent that is allowing oil to enter the charge air hose system and leak out past the intercooler hose seals. 

My guy guy also told me that nothing had been disturbed for a while in respect to what was required to strip down to inspect the low pressure turbo. And that there was minimal play in the impeller shaft. So basically the dealer lied to me that any inspection had taken place, including a face to face discussion of the internal condition of the low pressure turbo. They also charged £100 for the privilege and wanted £2858 to fit a new turbo. 

Unbelieveable. 

Unfortunately it's completely believable.

Marcus GTE likes this

I emailed them to complain and they are washing their hands of it, saying they spoke to the mechanic again and they said they did inspect it, and offered another inspection as a good will gesture. 

Yeah right. 

A good few years ago I put my car (a Ford in those days) into a dealer for an MoT. They called me to say there was a problem with the brakes and I told them to fix it. That evening I picked the car up and drove it home and the following morning I took my wife to the train station. As I sat stationary I could feel the brake pedal slowly sinking to the floor - something was definitely wrong. So I drove back to the dealer and because I was travelling for work that day I had to hire a car from them (no courtesy car available at such short notice apparently).

That evening I returned to the dealer. "All fixed, sir", they say. I ask what the problem was. "Oh, one of your brake pipes was disconnected at the caliper."

I threw my toys out of the pram - pointing out that they had worked on the brakes the previous day. No, definitely not their fault, they assured me. And anyway the mechanic who had worked on the car had gone home so nothing they could do. It got escalated to the head of the service department who just stood there with his arms folded refusing all responsibility, refusing to refund the cost of the hire car, just making pointed comments about how they needed to close up as it was finishing time.

I did consider writing to Ford but it would have been their word against mine, and given their behaviour I had little doubt their 'word' would be whatever they needed it to be in order to shift the blame elsewhere. Needless to say I never darkened their doors again.

It's disgusting how they treat people. An instance like that is actually criminal. 

I think they they are so used to people just eating what ever they say, that they are caught off guard when anyone legitimately questions something and they lie to cover up what they've done. 

Got it the car back today totally fixed from my normal garage. Crank case pressure excessive. A few hoses and filters changed and a clean out and bang. It's fixed.