Sarjoo

Tyre Insurance or Not...Poll

Tyre Insurance Poll   14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have independent tyre insurance? With policies at about £300 for 3 year cover, upto 5 RFT tyres, seems a no brainer?

• Yes, I wouldn't be without it
    • Yes, thought I'd get cover just this once
    • No, I'll chance it and pay for a new tyre if something goes pop
    • No, they're actually not as good value as they might seem

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 posts in this topic

Do you have independent tyre insurance?  With policies at about £300 for 3 year cover, upto 5 RFT tyres, seems a no brainer?

I am on the verge of deciding which way to go, would be good to see what people here have done with a poll.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

In 6 years of driving the car I have needed to replace 1 tyre due to a bubble in the sidewall £240 so I saved!

I hear ya. I did that with my last car, kinda chanced it and unfortunately on that occasion it didn't work out well as I ended up buying a RFT due to an irreparable puncture and then changing the SAME tyre two weeks later after another one....what a waste of a brand new RFT, and what luck  :( 

Having said that, I am still highly tempted to just chance it again :)

Definitely not. You have to weigh up how much you're paying out. Car insurance, maybe a warranty on top. Then on top of that tyre insurance. By the time you're finished the ££'s are going to stack up. That's just my personal opinion.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

It's like any kind of insurance. Except for the mandatory kind (i.e. car insurance) we all have our risk tolerances. Personally I wouldn't bother with tyre insurance as the probability is too variable. I have gone for periods of many years without having to replace a tyre through damage and then there have been years like the one where I put a full set of new tyres on my wife's MX-5 and two weeks later she drove over a piece of metal and trashed all four of them. But even then it didn't cost me £300 to replace them (admittedly it would be a lot more painful if that happened to the Beemer).

I've only ever had to replace one tyre in 13 years of driving BMWs that hadn't naturally worn out and that was a runflat That lost an argument with a pothole along with the rim.

You can pay to insure anything you want.

Seems the overwhelming majority here are happy to ride it out and see how it goes, I think i am pretty much in that camp, but some days the temptation to get the insurance returns ha!   Anyway, does anyone know if RFTs for the F10 5 series are still about £300 or so each?  My car is an efficient dynamics model and apparently it has thinner tyres for efficiency reasons. They're defo RFTs though.

I can get a Michelin  rft delivered for ~£175 on 19" exc fitting. 

£300, where is that Kiwkfraud?

Sarjoo likes this

Ditching the run-flats was the first thing I did when I got my e61. Bought the space-saver spare kit from Cotswold BMW. I had to replace two tyres recently (corrosion on the inner edge of the alloys had worn through the tyres so not something insurance would have covered) and the money I saved covered the cost of the space-saver kit.

Edited by Paggers

Tyre Insurance !!!

Never heard of it.

Sounds like anther con like Gap insurance and all the other bolt on garbage people get spoon fed into thinking they need nowadays

This is a wind up surely - it's nearly April as well

Brother in law took it out about 3 years ago when he bought a one series, it paid off for him as he knows the guy in National Tyres...

there will always be a market for tyre insurance, never a correct answer either, some people use it, some don't. I'm in the latter.

2 hours ago, 535iAR said:

I can get a Michelin  rft delivered for ~£175 on 19" exc fitting. 

£300, where is that Kiwkfraud?

Might I ask where from?

Who do u then get to do the fitting (and wheel balancing already done I suppose?) DIY fitment I guess?

On line. 

I was going to get the guy who refurbed my alloys to fit them but his business has just closed.

Not quite at tyre DIY yet, brakes, suspension, servicing yes for DIY but not tyres......

I bought tyre insurance. The policy allowed for two tyres per year from memory, and the salesman's advice was that each year "accidentally" get a couple of nails stuck in a non-repairable part of a pair of tyres.

Needless to say, I completely forgot all about it and have never claimed.

Pretty interesting just how much ahead the option to chance it and wait and see how things go is.  I expected it to be the most popular but didn't think by this margin.  I was kinda on the fence between trying the policy this once, and just chancing my luck too, but I think I am veering towards not buying a policy more and more.   Thanks for the input guys!

14 hours ago, sshooie said:

Meh, right tools and it's easy...

Image result for 2 old spoons

I think they would bend tackling runflats!

That's rather why I thought this was a wind up what sane insurer would cover a wear item so prone to 'accidental damage' as described by Dan that is just madness! Or the policy must have endless get out clauses surely,

Do these policies pay out on a prorata basis i.e if the tyre is bald as a coot with or without err accidental nail you get nothing.

Edited by Alexak
Can't spell!

No, they view a tyre as a tyre.

You can't claim for new ones just through wear, it's only to replace non-repairable damaged tyres, and the policy will limit the number you can claim per year (in my case two).

When you buy AUC you get the option of buying tyre insurance. I declined this on mine.

Only after declining this did I notice that the rear tyres on my AUC car were not star marked tyres, but budget tyres.

If I had taken tyre insurance and then got a puncture on the rear making the tyre a right off, would I then have got a replacement budget tyre or a tyre of the correct star marked spec?

It would have to be the correct spec for the car.

Context: Porsche mandate the fitment of 'N' spec tyres to fulfil your warranty obligations. If the dealer sold you a policy that replaced tyres with non-conforming spec ones, they'd be in a right old pickle.