Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M88RCC

2008 520d

7 posts in this topic

Jimmy,

Looking to buy a cable or set or cables that will enable me to basically keep an eye on the car for diags and faults also be able to re-code if I add additional modules to the IDrive etc (if this can be done?).

Could you let me know what I need here please?

Thank you

There are lots of different options. The one I use is a system from Carly that combines a phone app with a Bluetooth (Android) or WiFi (IOS) ODB-II adaptor. You don't need the Carly-specific adaptor if you just want to read and clear fault codes but do need it if you want to be able to do coding of modules. Details at the link below.

Please post links for competitors products in model forum not in here.

Edited by jimmy

Thanks for that Paggers,

always good to advertise other peoples wares before mine,

For your 08 e6x you would need the D-Can cable, comes with everything you need included (except laptop)

and it does a lot more than just read codes!

I have a laptop with software and cable provided by Jimmy - it was my first setup for working on my e61 and was used for diagnostics and coding. Works excellently. I only moved over to the Carly setup primarily because I wanted to go wire-free for diagnostics. I continued to use Jimmy's setup until very recently for coding. So even thought I have defected I can definitely recommend his cable and software. If you decide to go down that route it will be a lot cheaper than the full Carly setup - you just have to get used to the software :) 

Well credit where credit is due. You also provided a lot of support while I got the software working.