525-Jay

Shaking on cold start

I've noticed this on cold starts, when I start the car, it judders/shakes for about 5 seconds then calms down.

Is it something to worry about? I replaced the oil/filter and air filter about 7 months ago..

Not sure one glow plug would make that much of a difference.

The controllers fail more often than the glow plugs. Often they report faulty glow plugs when they're not.

You can easily test each glow plug...but only once the intake manifold is off. You measure the resistance from the top of the plug to the the car chassis. On a good plug it will be less than 1 Ohm. A bad plug will be open circuit or a much much higher resistance.

If the temperature is above 5C and you have the problem, and with only one glow plug down, I'd starting considering looking elsewhere.

If the controller has gone i think it shows errors for all glow plugs. That was certainly the case for me. Showed errors for all 6. Changed the controller and all errors gone. Nice & smooth on startup. How many miles has she done? If it's high-ish I'd be tempted just to get them all replaced. If there are still errors afterwards then you can change the controller yourself. £69 plus an hour of swearing and it's all done. 

I don't get errors on iDrive/dash for glow plugs, this was just via my friend who did a diagnostic.

Car has done just under 125k miles.

So would you guys recommend that I change all 6 plugs for peace of mind and if I still experience the shaking etc, then the controller?

Steve-Savalas is right, when the controller fails it usually shows all glow plugs as faulty but I'm not sure that's always the case.

You won't get any warnings about glow plugs unless you read the fault codes.

Up to you regarding changing all the glow plugs. Glow plugs are supposed to be replaced something like every 60k miles if you listen to the manufacturers. In BMW's they don't help much unless it's really cold. The risk in changing the glow plugs is that they can shear in half when you try to undo them - it then becomes a major (expensive) job to sort it out.

If you're in the UK and posting about the problem now then I don't think it's cold enough for the glow plugs to make a difference.

I have exact same problem as you but never had a chance to take to read the codes, plus I thought if I change glow plugs now I wont see any effect until winter so I just left it as it is. Still would need to get prices for 6 glow plugs an glow plug controller, you know, just in case! :) 

ah okay fair enough. Yes I'm in UK, it's not as prevalent now.

I just haven't given my car much tlc in the last 6months or so and it's been a loyal steed so I might do the plugs with the rest of the service in a few months