duncan-uk

Front dampers

16 posts in this topic

So I changed mine yesterday and obviously I noted the requirement to install them left and right according to the marks on the strut tube.

Two things I note.

First I assume my shocks have never been changed but we're set neither left or right it appears.

Secondly does anyone know the reason why?

I can't see how it would affect the suspension geometry as the damper is in effect just a straight rod and rotating it doesn't alter caster or camber.

If it was critical you would assume there would be some way of keying it to ensure accuracy?

So presumably it's a clearance issue?

Seems curious.

Finally I plan to have an alignment but do others do the same after damper change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is the angle the spring seat will sit. 

Its not a flat cup as far as I recall? 

It coils down with the spring as it were 

i may be completely wrong btw!!

Edited by falcodub

The spring isn't parallel which I assume is by design So maybe it's just the spring support position.

Never seen it before though.

You don't need to have the alignment done just because of a damper change, but if it hasn't been done recently (and you're not doing more tinkering) then worth getting it done, yes.

It was aligned on a hunter machine not long after I got it and I went through the suspension front and rear.

This weekend was just dampers. It can't change any thing at the back and really shouldn't at the front but the manuals recommend it.

I recently did all four shocks and springs on mine and didn't note any side specific marks on the shocks. They have the same PN etc. 

Alignment was well overdue also. 

They are marked L and R Clem - you line them up with the gap in the hub depending on side.

As i say the originals seemed central neither L or R

OEM Sachs dont seem to have L/R markings from what i remember but the Monroe's i put on did, with a little slot that goes in between the pinch bolt gap

l&r on the b8's i fitted last year 

i think also it has something to do with the spring seats

see hear

strut install.pdf

I think so too. I'm just curious as to the purpose. The spring seats are asymmetric and the springs non concentric but I can't quite fathom to what end.

By which I mean the damper compression prescribes how the hub goes up and down in terms of its path and that isn't affected by the spring

They won't have anything on them because the tooling in the plant will set them to the hub. This Is cheaper than paying delphi (or whoever makes them) to put a label on the shock body. Most modern suspensions are all set up on a platen before it even sees the car.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

On 13/03/2017 at 8:25 PM, Clavurion said:

6801015868_590d2a13e0_b.jpg&key=9d87d0f7

A good question by the post op, but no one seems to know why there are left and right fitment marks Clavurion.

I hope you used good quality spring compressors on changing the dampers Duncan, as you really have to wind those springs down to change them, you will know having done the dampers.