Hippy

Facelift halogen to xenon upgrade - lots of pics!

Hi Guys!

Plenty on here about this topic, but thought I might put some info together with pics to show some upgrades I carried out today. Enjoy:)

Although the lenses on the car weren't that bad, they were blemished in places. Out came the 800 grit, followed by 1200 and 2000.

IMG_1501.JPG

After slurping the cuppa, polished the lens with fine compound and the electric buffer.........

IMG_1504.JPG

And on to the other one........

IMG_1503.JPG

With both lenses now looking fine n dandy, here are some pics with the original halogen bulbs in place. First the halos.........

IMG_1505.JPG

Dipped lights.........

IMG_1506.JPG

....and main beam.......

IMG_1507.JPG

Now the fun can begin! 

After reading several threads , I decided that not only did I want to upgrade to xenon headlights, but I also wanted to upgrade them from standard spec. Because of this I opted not to buy a pair of xenon headlamps complete, as I would be replacing all the bulbs. With this in mind, I drew up the following shopping list.......

• OEM ballasts and ballast holders
  • Osram Xenarc D2S 5K bulbs and adaptors
  • MTEC 3.6w CREE LED angel eye markers
  • Osram H7 Nightbreakers

Here they all are.........

IMG_1508.JPG

So out came the standard headlight. Here's a view of the rear..........

IMG_1509.JPG

.........and here are the new parts fitted.........

IMG_1516.JPG

Then back into the car.........

IMG_1518.JPG

So, after repeating the process with the other light, the moment of truth arrives..........

Halos........

IMG_1519.JPG

Dipped.......

IMG_1521.JPG

........and finally main beam.......

IMG_1522.JPG

I'm well pleased with the result............just got to wait til it gets dark!!!!!!:P

look great :) hippy.  like to see some night picks, so if i have got it right you converted the standard halogen lamp assy, just by adding the ballasts and the d2s bulb holders + bulbs etc

but did not start with xenon lamp assy  are you also going to fit the head light wash aswell ?

15 minutes ago, supertramp101 said:

look great :) hippy.  like to see some night picks, so if i have got it right you converted the standard halogen lamp assy, just by adding the ballasts and the d2s bulb holders + bulbs etc

but did not start with xenon lamp assy  are you also going to fit the head light wash aswell ?

Yes, the headlamps are the original halogens with all the parts mentioned fitted to them. Will try and get some night pics!

Not thought about the headlight wash..............until you mentioned it^_^

i got all the bits of piper quite a wile ago but as yet not took the dremell to the bumber yet :D  like you have done i would rather go down the oem as poss route

so you might have given me a little kick to get things moveing on that front  whats a ball park figure on all the bulbs and ballasts etc  i was thinking even at 150-200 still lower than a set of zenons off f bay

loveing them 5k mtec crees  no blueish tint then (one of my pet hates ) :) 

nice mot history you do less miles than i do :D

Edited by supertramp101
up date

4 minutes ago, supertramp101 said:

so you might have given me a little kick to get things moveing on that front  whats a ball park figure on all the bulbs and ballasts etc  i was thinking even at 150-200 still lower than a set of zenons off f bay

loveing them 5k mtec crees  no blueish tint then (one of my pet hates ) :) 

Crees were £75 the pair, Xenarcs and Nightbreakers together were £100, adapters were only a few quid, the ballast holders were 2nd hand off Evilbay ( £15 - £20 I think ) and the ballasts themselves came from a Forum member a while back.

thats not to bad

think i might be going f bay .de .uk  shoping

later if the misses falls a sleep :D

then ill have a bit more of an excuse to get in a  lcm iv to have the angles on as d r l 's

5 minutes ago, supertramp101 said:

thats not to bad

think i might be going f bay .de .uk  shoping

later if the misses falls a sleep :D

Be rude not too!!!:P

Great job :)

Had the same set up in my previous 530i, but I used double sided Velcro to hold the ballasts onto the trays behind the lights as couldn't find the brackets etc...

Just bought the ballasts today on eBay via a BMW breaker in Latvia of all places best prices too! Will order the Osram Xenarc bulbs when they land, already have the adapters.

Will be nice to have much better headlights again, the Osram Nightbreaker H7s are ok, but can easily be bettered with xenon ;) 

6 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Great job :)

Had the same set up in my previous 530i, but I used double sided Velcro to hold the ballasts onto the trays behind the lights as couldn't find the brackets etc...

Dan, when I was looking for the brackets Evilbay.com seemed to have more available than the UK. Typically not much on there at the moment though:(

1 hour ago, Hippy said:

Dan, when I was looking for the brackets Evilbay.com seemed to have more available than the UK. Typically not much on there at the moment though:(

Yeah, on eBay.de too... But tbh they're not really needed, just adds neatness etc

A quick night shot - not great as it's an old camera, but a vast improvement over standard.

Hard to tell, but this is dipped lights!B)

IMG_1523.JPG

14 minutes ago, supertramp101 said:

happy days  no on comeing flashers thinking you are on high beam ?

No, it's the camera - the light is actually much more focused than the pic makes out!

30 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yeah, on eBay.de too... But tbh they're not really needed, just adds neatness etc

Very true - and you can always add them later if you feel the need!

This was the route I wanted to go down with my '39. After painstakingly searching for ballasts, bulb holders etc. I acquired all the kit to do this conversion only for my MOT man to flag it up as an advisory one of my adjusters was goosed :(

Still passed it but in the end I thought sod it and purchased some Xenon's !

Would be interested to know if you plan to fit the oe washer system ? Personally I don't really think you need it and I will not be fitting one to mine.

Edited by Milo

17 hours ago, Too late said:

Did they look that good after polishing or dine the "shine " come out with lacquer spray etc .Most when buffed still look a bit matt ? 

The pic was taken straight after polishing with no protective coat added.B)

I used to work a lot with fibreglass and gel coats. Generally a poor / matt like finish was due to poor prep ( not fine enough grades of paper used ), too coarse a compound used in the buffing process, or too much heat generated on the item by not keeping the buffer moving. Same would apply to polishing the lenses.