MrSweet1991

525D or 530D

28 posts in this topic

Hi All, 

Looking to purchase an LCI 525D or 530D, I will be doing mostly town driving so the 520D would probably appeal more in respects to MPG but I wouldn't mind sacrificing some MPG for that awesome torque increase! I am willing to DPF gut, swirl flap removal and map the car to squeeze some extra power and MPG but I'm interested to know how the two engines compare both with common problems and MPG town driving if possible. 

Cheers. 

I think I'm right in saying both 525 and 530 LCI's are 3.0 engines. I've had mine 6 months and drove 525 and 530 and just preferred the torque and extra bit of poke of the 530d and now it's remapped even more so

I think I'm right in saying both 525 and 530 LCI's are 3.0 engines. I've had mine 6 months and drove 525 and 530 and just preferred the torque and extra bit of poke of the 530d and now it's remapped even more so

My LCI 525d has the 3.0 engine. Not sure when the change occurred. Can't remember the bhp of the 530d but the 525d in LCI form is 197. I'm happy enough with that, and I can't fault the fuel economy.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, jake13 said:

Town driving + Diesel car = Trouble

Spot on, if you do less than ~10k a year a diesel could spell trouble after a while.

Buy the 525d and spend the rest of the time wishing you had bought the 530d.

If you must buy/heart set on a heavy oil machine, buy the 530d.

Mashed Potatoes likes this

My 6 pot 525d is good for me only 1 turbo so no worries and great on diesel 20£ a week fuel if that.

Engine nice and smooth

Spot on, if you do less than ~10k a year a diesel could spell trouble after a while.

Buy the 525d and spend the rest of the time wishing you had bought the 530d.

If you must buy/heart set on a heavy oil machine, buy the 530d.

It's not the total mileage that can have a detrimental effect, rather it's the type of journey. An excess of short trips is bad news. I do less than 10k a year, but that includes several 200+ and 400+ milers, and if I happen to have a spate of shorter journeys I schedule in a 50+ motorway blast to give things a blow through.

I don't wish I'd bought a 530d either - 525d does all I need. Horses for courses I guess.

535iAR and cubbyq like this

2 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

It's not the total mileage that can have a detrimental effect, rather it's the type of journey. An excess of short trips is bad news. I do less than 10k a year, but that includes several 200+ and 400+ milers, and if I happen to have a spate of shorter journeys I schedule in a 50+ motorway blast to give things a blow through.

I don't wish I'd bought a 530d either - 525d does all I need. Horses for courses I guess. emoji4.png

You are right, low annual miles can be offset by regular long journeys but you shouldn't have to schedule in a long journey just to keep things working properly.  That is the downfall that no one told us about 10 years ago when the government of the day made us all go out and panic buy diesels.

A car salesman told us that a diesel wants a motorway journey of at least 30 miles once a week to keep it happy. 

Sod that!

BMW reckon the regeneration game should happen automatically via software control without motorway runs providing the other conditions are met. I guess I do it partly in the hope of avoiding the Gong of Death.

I still fancy that 530i, but at present it can't be done.

Regens will happen during town driving but the problem is that it wakes a while to reach the conditions to start the regen process, then you really need to have the rpm up over 2k for a proper sequence to have a decent effect.

It's very difficult, if not impossible to do this with start/stop driving.

Similarly, it is likely your journey will end before the cycle has completed, which can lead to fuel getting into the oil.

15 minutes ago, chr15gb said:

you really need to have the rpm up over 2k for a proper sequence to have a decent effect.

Ive just driven my petrol car 35 miles on twisty B roads M8 and M77 and stop start traffic and at no time did my engine go above 2250 rpms and that was momentarily before changing up, the only time this was exceeded was during the odd downshift when I hit 3000 rpms but the exhaust gasses are nothing as I'm off the power.

As a diesel revs lower, the same journey in my dads 530d F10, I can guarantee that I never have hit 2000 rpms.

Ok so yes the F10 has 8 speeds but the ratio in 8th when you at 70 on the motorway will result in engine rpms much same as in a 6 speed E60.

19 minutes ago, chr15gb said:

It's very difficult, if not impossible to do this with start/stop driving.

That's a very good point! But looking at my last journey it will be difficult to achieve on most driving experiences.

This is why my local BMW dealer tells punters who come in with a clogged DPF to drive to Carlisle and back in third gear. 

pidgeonpost likes this

I agree - 70-ish in 6th is around 1600-1700 rpm from memory. I have to either use sport or manual gear selection to stay topside of 2k rpm. Luckily the M50 isn't far from me and is pretty deserted so less chance of interrupting a regen. Still a pain in the fundament that us oilburners should have to consider such measures though.

On the E60 530D Auto, the car will drop down a gear when the regen starts if driving on a motorway. That's the sign of a regen, when my car jumps up to over 2k rpm on it's own (no change of speed).

If driving in town, the car will hang on to the gears (very similar to Sport mode) so it will get the rpm up to near 4k rpm before changing.

The exhaust note is more prevalent, kind of boomy as if there is a hole in it.

It can be a bit embarrassing as it feels like the car next to you thinks you are trying to race.

I don't think too much would have changed with the F10 so the above is something to look out for.

pidgeonpost likes this

Hi All, 

Well thank you all for the replies, as noted I don't mind adding a swirl flap blank and DPF removal to avoid most of the diesel regeneration problems (assuming that's all their is) so let's assume DPF has been gutted and swirl flaps are blanked what's everyone's thoughts on the two engines then in respects to MPG, Reliability and torque as I imagine that will contribute towards the 3.0d over the 2.5d I'd imagine.

Exhaust manifolds crack which leads to horrid exhaust fumes coming into the cabin. 

Mine has had three manifolds now (158k miles)

Once the weak points I.e. DPF and swirls are dealt with they shouldn't give too much bother other than the stats.

There have been reports of main bearing failure on the 530d blocks but it's pretty rare.  You are more likely to have autobox issues with the 6HP boxes in the E60s than serious engine woes.

4 hours ago, chr15gb said:

Exhaust manifolds crack which leads to horrid exhaust fumes coming into the cabin. 

Mine has had three manifolds now (158k miles)

3 Manifolds! I wonder if that's just a very unfortunate issue that's happened with your BMW? There's more time of course but I don't seem to have come across Manifold issues as of yet, could it be a particular age that suffers with Manifolds or is there something wrong that causes it? 

3 hours ago, 535iAR said:

Once the weak points I.e. DPF and swirls are dealt with they shouldn't give too much bother other than the stats.

There have been reports of main bearing failure on the 530d blocks but it's pretty rare.  You are more likely to have autobox issues with the 6HP boxes in the E60s than serious engine woes.

Great to hear, do the stats have anything to do with the auto boxes? I just did a quick Google about the stats and someone mentioned "transmission oil heat exchanger" and beings as you mentioned the auto box more likely to have an issue would the manual be a better option as they are available in both engines (mind you only 17 results found for the 3.0d) 

They make them out of stainless for some crazy weight saving reasons. 

Google "e60 exhaust manifold crack" to see the extent...it's very common and unlike the DPF, is not something you can avoid.

Many put a cast manifold on from the old E39, if you can find them. Absolute swine of a job for a home DIYer to do (as you will see by the pictorial guides).

Edited by chr15gb

13 minutes ago, chr15gb said:

They make them out of Aluminum for some crazy weight saving reasons. 

Google "e60 exhaust manifold crack" to see the extent...it's very common and unlike the DPF, is not something you can avoid.

Many put a cast manifold on from the old E39, if you can find them. Absolute swine of a job for a home DIYer to do (as you will see by the pictorial guides).

To be honest I'm a simpleton when it comes to car work, the most I've done was changed the wishbones on an e36 I had so if it's a relatively complex job I have no chance haha. I will indeed give it a good research though, and maybe see if there's a better manifold available that I could source if it was to ever happen.

Had a quick look and it does look like a right job, but it doesn't seem to hard to source a cast iron manifold as this person states: 

"By all accounts part number 11622248166 can be used to replace your cracked manifold, as found on these vehicles.

E38 730d

E39 525d Saloon
E39 525d Touring
E39 530d Touring
E39 530d Saloon

E46 330d Touring
E46 330d Saloon
E46 330xd Touring
E46 330xd Saloon

E53 X5 3.0d SUV" (reference to information)

and a quick fleebay search and I found an e46 330d cast iron manifold for £80-£90 so not too bad :) 

Edited by MrSweet1991
Update of information

The thermostats in the heavy oil engines need to be in good working order to maintain engine temp so that you are more likely to get a DPF regen. If the thermostat has failed, the engine runs cool and will not allow a DPF regen so you get DPF errors.

My E60 autobox failed on me at 91,500 miles (despite having been serviced twice) with terminal E clutch failure resulting in a need to get a reconditioned box at the cost of not far off the trade in value of the car hence why I now have an F10. There have been a few autobox failures mentioned on here but you don't hear of the many thousands of autoboxes that continue to work fine upwards of 120k miles on original oil.

For utmost E60 reliability buy a 530i manual.

Blatant plug here, but are you after a saloon or estate?

Blatant plug here, but looking at selling my 525d in the coming weeks...

Drop me a PM if you want more details.

Cheers,

Nick

On 11/03/2017 at 3:49 PM, MrSweet1991 said:

Hi All, 

Looking to purchase an LCI 525D or 530D, I will be doing mostly town driving so the 520D would probably appeal more in respects to MPG but I wouldn't mind sacrificing some MPG for that awesome torque increase! I am willing to DPF gut, swirl flap removal and map the car to squeeze some extra power and MPG but I'm interested to know how the two engines compare both with common problems and MPG town driving if possible. 

Cheers. 

Not sure why a DPF gutted diesel is bad in town, it's excellent in fact, thousands of cab drivers can't be wrong. I removed my DPF for that reason as most of my journeys were very short ones, yet i can still return good mpg

As to which model 525,530,535 is all depends on your cash and what good deal you can find at the time, personally i went for most extras at the time I would have settled for a 530d, it's just a 535d turned up and i had to find an extra £1500 to buy it, well worth it of course