Captain Beaky

The Little Donkey is out of Hibernation

10 posts in this topic

Nice car. Would I be correct to assume that's not you in your profile pic?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Hi Captain beaky, when you say the covers are off, does your car live outside all year round? If so what type of cover are you using.

Unfortunately yes it does live outside, the Dolly's live inside as a  matter of seniority but once I finish the loft conversion this year the new garage is next.

There are 3 covers on it, I buy a new Halfords extreme weather cover every year £49 and then one of these plastic frost caps you buy in Argos £13. that sits over the top .  Finally I have a tarpaulin 5m x10m which goes on the floor drive the car onto it then I have a heavy duty gazebo frame 4m x 3m which I erect around the car but only at half height and wrap the tarpaulin over the top left to right with the ends open so it makes a tunel. It can not blow off even when Doris came along because the car is anchor.

Bit of a phaf but worth it, and also dehumidifier inside, and 2 kg of rice in the boot inside the missus tights, but before anyone asks there not used, that would just make the boot smell a bit muffy :lol: 

Hi. Wow that's an intricate covering method you have there and fair play for doing it. I've thought about the rice thing before.......do you reckon it really helps ? 

1 hour ago, Style5 said:

Hi. Wow that's an intricate covering method you have there and fair play for doing it. I've thought about the rice thing before.......do you reckon it really helps ? 

Only to keep the damp away, if there is water getting in its a waste of good rice. However I went to great pains to make sure the boot was watertight and I,m smugly pleaseed with myself because i don't suffer with condensation on the boot lid any more.

Not wanting to sound like an anul anorak on the floor under the tarp is a multilayer plastic/kevlar sheet, it was the wave former for an indoor surf machine which was replaced due to delamination. Although at the time I had no specific use for it I bought it home rather than see it go to the skip. I forgot to include it earlier

Deserved congrats in keeping condensation away. I remortgaged and bought a v expensive all singing and dancing 4 layer breathable, seal skinned, mink lined, buffalo hide, pure silk layered cover for mine and it is always getting condensation under it.  As for the rice, I think I'll try Pilau lol as it'll make the car smell like a good Friday night !! 

Captain Beaky likes this