Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aquinas

525tds Touring - Rear Brake Backing Plates

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of anywhere that does OEM rear backing plates?

Nothing appears to be on GSF or Eurocarparts and searching the part number of eBay only brings up sellers in Latvia/Lithunia. Cotswold Group has them but surely there must be a cheaper option? 

I'd have no issues with getting them from latvia/lithuania, they love the BMW out there, it'll take a little bit longer to get to you than if it was in the uk is all.

I can't imagine anyone but oem suppliers doing them,.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-BMW-e34-e32-Rear-Brake-Disc-Rotor-Backing-Protection-Plate-Left-Right-Set-/152401755482?hash=item237bda3d5a:g:KooAAOSwjDZYf96q

guess its these you've spotted, realoem has the price at $27 each, what do Cotswold have them at?

the 3 series ones annoyingly are £20 each on ebay, they have smaller discs though.

It's not the kind of a part that would be available from various manufacturers - dealer only.

Surely they are not too pricy? £30-40 each?

Cotswold say £55 each for rears and £65 each for fronts.

However, despite what the mechanic who changed my shocks said, they really didn't need replacing and I've now successfully changed my rear discs, pads and shoes.

The only fly in the ointment is that although I've now got new brakes all round the "brake lining wear" still won't go out. Can't understand this as both sensors were fine (pads hadn't worn down sufficiently to break the wire) so I can't see how I've got the short circuit that triggers the warning light.

When I bought the car the handbrake didn't work and the front brakes juddered but no warning light. When garage changed the rear shocks I got them to tighten the handbrake cable, this helped a little but they correctly said I needed new shoes. The brake lining warning light only came on after my wife managed to drive a few miles with the newly tighted handbrake on! Which is wierd when the sensors are on the pads not the shoes.

Any ideas?

e34 parts prices have jumped in recent

Years it must be the limit stock ...

Also the weak £££ in recent months.

The pad sensor wire is succeptable to nicks which then corrode the wire away. Try to buy the sleeved type :-)

Edited by stevenc3828

Sounds like I should have checked the continuity of the sensors rather than just rely on a visual inspection. I decided to leave the original ones on (both front and back) as they had the yellow sleeve and looked a lot more robust than the replacements. Looks like I'm getting the jack out again!

By the way, I got the replacement brakes from ATP in Germany - £106 for all round discs, pads and shoes and that included postage! Also, ordered on the Monday and everything delivered on the Thursday which is pretty amazing BUT.....the hole in the rear discs for the securing bolt did not align with the threaded hole in the hub. Not a show stopper as obviously when you put the wheel the nuts hold the disc in place but a bit annoying. (Alignment on fronts was fine.)

Re rear discs - had the same with some Mintex brake discs for one of the 525ix. I did manage to get it on by threading the securing Allen bolt in at the same time as pushing the disc on the hub