d_a_n1979

2002 530i - Sapphire Metallic Black / sand beige interior (making it my own)

Dropped this off, this morning to have the RHS bolster foam repaired in readiness for it's refurb/re-dye etc:

So; before:

IMG_0223.jpg

After: (will update once it's done) ;) 

Before (nice and shiny :lol: )

Wednesday: Rinsed, snow-foamed, rinsed, washed, rinsed, washed again (salt residue), rinsed, towel dried, clayed, machine polished, waxed...

IMG_20180307_162232.jpg

IMG_20180307_162246.jpg

During:

Thursday (heavy snow early morning, not forecast :roll::lol: )

IMG_20180308_082633.jpg

IMG_20180308_082646.jpg

Then on Thursday afternoon (snow melted, suns out, car rinsed off) and alloys fitted...

After:

Friday morning (new wheels on but the cars bloody filthy :roll::x:lol:  ) ...

IMG_20180309_102550.jpg

IMG_20180309_102558.jpg

Cleaner, more polished pics to follow... When it's stop lashing it down as it is doing currently (ie. not this weekend) 

Edited by d_a_n1979

1 hour ago, adeel43 said:

Those wheels make the car, looks brilliant. Was not a fan if the previous ones you had.

I liked them; but they never sat with me right

Did toy with going for some bronze alloys; but again, not sure if they'd be wheels I'd be happy with, whereas the current 19s I really like and think they set the car off very well indeed :) 

Just collected it from the professional detailers, he was working on the car until 10pm last night, so he's finished and sealed it today :)

It's absolutely coated in dust now due to local building work :lol: But you can clearly see that 90% of the swirl marks have gone and it's shiny as hell under all that dust :mrgreen:

The main paint issues are still there (which only a respray will take care of); micro-blisters on the rear C pillars, some very small amounts of lacquer peel under the lip spoiler (can't be seen unless looked for) and some deeper scratches (car park wars etc), but other than that, it looks immaculate.

Not going to bother with pics as it looks exactly like the ones I took, but up close, you can really see the difference

Will hopefully get the drivers seat re-coloured in the next week or so and that's it done :) Just maintenance and driving it to enjoy going forward ;) 

On 26/02/2018 at 11:07 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

Dropped this off, this morning to have the RHS bolster foam repaired in readiness for it's refurb/re-dye etc:

So; before:

IMG_0223.jpg

After: (will update once it's done) ;) 

From ^^^

To:

Drivers seat finally restored :)

IMG_20180323_171409.jpg

IMG_20180323_171420.jpg

It need a few days to cure; so will be able to drive it Sunday onwards and it'll take a few months to smooth off/wear in so it doesn't look as 'brand new'

The guy did a superb job and all for £70 and on the drive!

2 hours ago, Hairyarse said:

Wow great job on the seat Dan. Did he colour it?

Has it made the rest of your interior look dirty by comparison now?

Yes; it's been recoloured/redyed etc

Quite an aggressive job as he strips the seat of any protection using an acid and goes at it with sandpaper and roughs it up too :shock: 

It's lighter than the rest of the interior as it stands, but the interior is very clean as I scrubbed it a lot when I first bought it and condition it every time I deal the interior etc

The drivers seat will soon have some normal, everyday wear & tear too it once I start sitting on it and driving the car etc :) 

On 3/24/2018 at 11:32 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

Yes; it's been recoloured/redyed etc

Quite an aggressive job as he strips the seat of any protection using an acid and goes at it with sandpaper and roughs it up too :shock: 

It's lighter than the rest of the interior as it stands, but the interior is very clean as I scrubbed it a lot when I first bought it and condition it every time I deal the interior etc

The drivers seat will soon have some normal, everyday wear & tear too it once I start sitting on it and driving the car etc :) 

Would you be able to shoot me a PM with his details in dude? My drivers seat is looking a bit shabby (well they both are really) and could do with being refurbished. I'm amazed at the job it looks like he's done on that and me and you aren't a million miles apart.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Would you be able to shoot me a PM with his details in dude? My drivers seat is looking a bit shabby (well they both are really) and could do with being refurbished. I'm amazed at the job it looks like he's done on that and me and you aren't a million miles apart.

He's from up Blackpool way pal and the furthest he does in Preston unfortunately

He's not far off retiring and don't think he can be arsed with the travel any more

10 hours ago, GStarrr said:

That is an amazing difference. Must make it feel like a new e39 now. 

Haha yeah; it makes me feel like it's a finished project

There are a few paintwork niggles that I might think about getting sorted later in the year, but then again, may just leave them as it's nearly a 16 year old car and you have to ask is it worth it as I'll never see that £££ back.

CCV and oil filter housing gasket to be done next. Then I'll get the autobox serviced and then going to seriously consider uprating the ARBs etc... 

Scrubs up well ;)

Engine bay got a little love too as it was filthy/dusty as hell with all the salt that's been on the roads :lol:

IMG_20180405_140840.jpg

IMG_20180405_140855.jpg

IMG_20180405_140941.jpg

IMG_20180405_141001.jpg

32 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Scrubs up well ;)

Engine bay got a little love too as it was filthy/dusty as hell with all the salt that's been on the roads :lol:

IMG_20180405_140840.jpg

IMG_20180405_140855.jpg

IMG_20180405_140941.jpg

IMG_20180405_141001.jpg

Paintwork looks amazing! If you ever sell drop me a PM :D

Edited by GBS

Thanks; it does look well. Unfortunately up close, there are plenty of imperfections, more so with it being a black car

Stone chips galore over the front, it was fully resprayed less than 6 months ago. Just can't be avoided :( 

I've done enough bodywork to this car now; it'll only get more if absolutely necessary...

Alas, I've only just had it 12months, so won;'t be selling unless an all elusive touring crops that that hits every note I want it to and is at the right price ;) 

A bit more work today :roll::lol:

This:

IMG_20180410_130105.jpg

And this:

IMG_20180410_130111.jpg

• CCV kit refreshed with a Meyle kit
  • Inlet mani gaskets replaced
  • Throttle body gasket replaced
  • Oil dipstick o-rings replaced
  • Oil filter housing gasket replaced

Nice clean engine now after the oil weep clean up :lol: 

All parts sourced via C3BMW ;) 

Brand new, genuine Hella drivers side headlight fitted to match the passenger side one that was fitted a week before I bought the car; mainly for OCD reasons :roll::lol:

front.jpg

Fitted a strut brace and a DIY air intake too for shits & giggles (but also as I damaged the OEM intake box when refitting it after doing the CCV and still haven't sorted a replacement; this will do for the time being)... Sounds great under load TBH :lol: Used the Meyle intake boot from a Z3 3.0 to delete the resonator too; looks tidier! The K&N filter I had in the garage fits into the cold air feed too which is a bonus!

strut.jpg

intake.jpg

Edited by d_a_n1979

Where did you get the brace from Dan ?

Any noticeable improvement or is it early days yet ? 

Smashing work but maybe you need to take that other headlamp out to fully benefit the cold air feed :lol:

10 hours ago, Milo said:

Where did you get the brace from Dan ?

Any noticeable improvement or is it early days yet ? 

Smashing work but maybe you need to take that other headlamp out to fully benefit the cold air feed :lol:

Just off eBay pal; I'm already on coilovers, which are set to medium-hard, but it feels that it's tightened up the front a touch more. Better on turn-in etc

Nah; the air intake is doing just fine as it is :mrgreen:

15 minutes ago, R44M BM said:

@d_a_n1979 car is looking very tidy! interior looks immaculate!!  I am on the hunt for a pair of headlights too! B)

I thought about getting another set and refurbing them, but for the price I paid (c£220 IIRC) it was easier to go for a brand new one!