d_a_n1979

2002 530i - Sapphire Metallic Black / sand beige interior (making it my own)

5 hours ago, trenchy24 said:

If you fancy a long road test 'pop' down to Sussex so I can check out those coilovers :D

Haha; not exactly a days out drive etc ;)

However, coilovers and and car rides superbly... Just need to drop the front a touch and raise the rear the same really... With me in it (around 21 stone currently), the tyres just catching the inside of the wheel arch :roll::lol::oops: 

Suspension/coilovers installment part 1:

D2s.jpg

fdroplinks.jpg

frontcoils.jpg

rdroplinks.jpg

rearcoils.jpg

stands.jpg

studs.jpg

Will sort Part 2 out tomorrow or Friday (when interior is refitted and car sits as I want it) ;) 

For now, this will do as I'm brain dead, mad hungry and missing skin off various knuckles and the middle of my scalp (stood up when I shouldn't have) :lol: 

Edited by d_a_n1979

Back on the drive; had another ride height tweak and steering geometry tweak and all is as it should be now ;) 

Haven't gone too low for now; want to see winter out before I drop it any lower; it's 25mm lower at the rear and 30mm at the front; more than enough for what state the roads around me will get in soon and for when we trek up to Dunkeld and back in Feb etc:

IMG_20171109_131039.jpg

7 hours ago, Hairyarse said:

That’s sitting nice Dan. Bet it rides well too ;)

Rides very well indeed; very comfy, harder than stock (but not stupidly hard as we've set the damping rate around half way on rears and a bit firmer up front) and it loves bends/roundabouts etc ;):lol: 

Hi Dan,

So what's the new set of wheels going to be?! (just seen your FS post!) 

For me, these AVA's you had didn't 'quite' hit the mark in terms of looks on the car, so I'm hoping you've got your eye on some much more exciting wheels to go on and really make your car come together nicely!

19's I hope too! ;)

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi Dennis 

I know you're a wheel whore :lol: your taste and mine will never align I'd say. 

I'll be sticking with 18s, as previously stated, roads around me are harsh enough and the 19s will just make the ride worse

I've a few ideas and will look into them more, if/when the AVA alloys sell. 

Not desperate and happy to keep them otherwise ;)

Edited by d_a_n1979

Hi Dan,

I can't help it that I love fantastic looking and quality wheels :)

Some nice Alpina, ACS, Hartge 18's would look great on your car, would be period correct and would complement it really well. I know some of those designs aren't to owners who only like OEM choices. For those guys, I'd say perhaps get a set of style 42's and then re-barrel/re-lip them, a set of Rondell Type 58's etc. 

Guess I'm lucky, I've run 19's on my car for over a decade and also had plenty of '19's must ruin the ride' guys who've subsequently ate humble pie once they've been out in my car !  I wonder what you'd do if you ever got into an Alpina B10 V8S as that came with 19's from the factory :)

If the AVA's do go, it'll be interesting to see which other wheels you are thinking of ! 

Cheers, Dennis!

Thanks Dennis

Not interested in alloys with lips; been there/done that, got bored very quickly and certainly not going to spend £££ on rebarreling them. Simply want plug n play etc... And alloys that don't cost a fortune either, they're really not all that to me, I'd rather spend my £££ on hifi, my gardening/veg growing, our house and on weightlifting equipment ;) 

I've a few ideas of alloys that I've rarely come across, if at all, on E39s (well, not that I've seen anyways)

Re 19s; try coming to live where I do where I'm surrounded by poor, unkempt country roads that half their life, are covered with shite off tractors and the other half, they're full of pot holes, standing water and shed loads of loose tarmac...

I've been out in plenty of cars with 19" alloys to know that I'd never own them on a car for the area that I live in... Thanks, but no thanks!

15mm hubcentric spacers fitted to the front of the car; wheels sit much better now, just under the arches and not hidden away like they were previously wink.gif

Running 5mm hubcentric shims on the rear still and they're fine, any more and the tyres would rub the arches, more so fat boy here sat in it biggrin.gif

Weather's getting colder and colder here now in North West England; so winter alloys & tyres will probably be fitted later this week and then, fingers crossed, that's the work done on the car for this year

New Year will bring about a full brake disc, pad, lines and fluid overhaul and will then get someone to refurbish the drivers seat (currently covered with a heated seat cover wink.gif ) and may look to get the steering wheel retrimmed too smile.gif

58 minutes ago, Milo said:

Ohh ! Subscribed :lol:

Dont know how I missed this thread !

Hats off to the bodywork Dan it looks like glass B)

Its still not convinced me whether to go coilovers or OEM though :lol:

It does look very clean now, but still imperfections as it's a 15 year old car and I'm not gonna start forking out shed loads of £££ doing more bodywork etc... It looks very good though! 

Re coilovers or OEM; for me it's all about cost and by the time you've added up all the bits, it's a lot more than decent coilovers (D2s, BC's etc) and you get no adjustability then, just fixed ride height etc... 

I've not gone and won't go silly low, but having it 20mm lower, IMO, makes it look better and it's handles superbly now (handled great on the Mtec II suspension) but it never cornered like it does now ;)

It does ride harder, but only just. It's not harsh, clunky or rough in any way... Very much point and shoot :mrgreen:

New calipers, discs and pads ordered for upfront, have a sticky NS caliper issue so will replace the whole lot rather than just one side!

• Mtec grooved discs
  • Mtec brake pads
  • Refurbed ATE brake calipers
  • Motul brake fluid

It's never ending :lol: 

Edited by d_a_n1979