d_a_n1979

2002 530i - Sapphire Metallic Black / sand beige interior (making it my own)

Cars booked in sometime early September for a full front-end respray and then an overall polish and detail :mrgreen: 

Lots of scratches and swirls that'll come out when treated properly (better than I could ever do)

We've a fair bit of driving to do in the next 3-4 weeks (off to Anglesey sometime tomorrow, if not the very latest Friday morning) and want to do a bit of touring around North Wales and a bit down the coast too (all day trips) and then I'm off up to Scotland last week of August to do the final Highland Games and a tour of the manhood stones near to Aberdeen etc, so might as well get this all done and out of the way before the bodywork!

After a fair whack of reading and research; think I'm going to go with Bilstein B4 dampers with Eibach Pro kit springs all round alongside new top mounts and new drop links all round. Will probably poly bush the ARBs too, but leave the rest OEM for the OEM level of compliance, don't want to go too hard with too much polyurethane etc :lol: 

This is a long term plan; want to get the bodywork sorted first which will be sometime mid September

A few reasons re the B4's; a) they're uprated and fine for a 30mm drop (the Eibach's should give around another 10-15mm lower than the current M-Tec drop on my 530i Sport, more than enough for what I'm after) b.) their overall cost. At c£65 for the rears, each and £90 for the fronts, each, they come in hell of a lot cheaper than the B6s or similar Koni's and that level of expenditure on a car that does c4k miles a year simply isn't needed IMO and c) we all know that Bilstein and Eibach work very well together and are highly recommended. 

Obviously all suspension arms will be checked and replaced where necessary and then the car should handle and ride superbly :) 

Interior trim swapped out from aluminium to vavona

For me, the silver did not suit the cream interior whereas the vavona wood looks better suited; I know it'll be marmite with some folk, but looks much better to me :) 

IMG_20170830_112332.jpg

IMG_20170830_112310.jpg

IMG_20170830_112300.jpg

New front tyres fitted. Hadn't realised how badly the Pirelli's I had on, had worn, quite unevenly too and they'd started to show their age as some cracks had appeared.

Nice Nexen N'Fera SU1's all round now and have to say, I'm impressed with them. They get decent reviews and they're grippy and very quiet too!

Car's just had a full alignment and fast road set up; the tyres weren't great when I put them on. Just thought I'd use them whilst I had them, serves me right for being a cheapskate :lol: 

• Fitted new front fog lights and LED HB4 bulbs
  • Fitted xenon ballasts, D2S/H7 bulb adapters and using Osram Xenarc 'Cool Blue' D2S bulbs
  • Parked back up the drive as it's been biblical rain here today :lol: 

Collected a set of 16" turbine alloys yesterday from an elderly neighbours brother, who lived around the corner! Free too, all I needed to do was sort some of his garden out for him. Not bad for 2 hours labour and more coffee and cake than you could shake a stick at :lol: 

Had an E39 530D that was written off 2 years ago, still had a few sets of alloys and old tyres for them (sold the 17" alloys last week he said, no idea which wheels they were), and currently drives around an a 3.0 Z4 ;) Not bad for 81! :shock: 

So I've sanded them/scotch padded them to clean them off, power washed them and dried them, primered and then x3 coats of Rover gun-metal grey and 3 coats of lacquer

IMG_20170920_144744.jpg

Michelin Alpin A4 winters to be fitted to the (225/55/16s) and my winter wheels are all sorted :mrgreen: 

Edited by d_a_n1979

55 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

I know to some people the wood trim says 'old codger' but it suits the rest of the trim perfectly IMO. emoji4.png

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

It can look like that in other finishes I agree, wouldn't have had it in my previous 530i which was black on black inside (the champagne interior wood trim would have suited well though I reckon).

Then again, I'm not keen on the black trim in an all black leather interior car...

Horses for courses and all that :) 

• Washed and dried and all areas for attention with the bodyshop noted (gets dropped off in the morning)
  • New interior mats ordered
  • Rear front and rear upper arms ordered / new tie rods and knuckles/gator kit ordered (to be fitted Weds 04th Oct)
  • 15mm hubcentric spacers ordered too

Spend, spend, spend :lol: 

On 7/4/2017 at 11:33 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

New single DIN Kenwood Bluetooth head unit fitted in an OEM BMW fascia; mic fitted by the rear view mirror :) 

Thanks to @DennisCooper for the fascia ;) 

kenwood.jpg

mic.jpg

Good Morning.

Is there a part number for the fascia?

Thanking you in advance.

@DennisCooper is the person to ask re this part @morgam23

I got it off him and fitted it; didn't pay attention to the numbers on the back sorry

However, if you used the search facility and use something like "single DIN BMW" I'm sure it'll bring a thread up that Dennis has detailed about these parts etc :) 

Black chrome kidney grilles ordered via Schmiedmann

Should arrive in the next few days; looks like I got the last set too (fingers crossed) as they've removed them off their website now!

These are them (pics pinched off bimmerforums):

530full.jpg

530nose.jpg

The matt black ones looked well on my Slate Green 530i as they complemented the Sport black trim

But black o black; nah, it'd be lost

Don't really like chrome and certainly not paying for CF; so these shadow black chrome suit the best IMO

Just to update; Schmiedmann have emailed to say that they're not happy with the quality of the black chrome kidney grilles (very good/honest of them), so they're sending me a set of gloss black grills and will refund the difference etc!

Will update with a pic of them when they land :)