oberlointment

Front brake discs and pads what ones should I buy

Need some helpful advice on what front brake pads and discs I should purchase for my 2002 530i.

Ebay has loads so it's hard to decide.

In the past on previous cars I have used Brembo discs and ebc red stuff pads. Is this a good selection? Or shall I just keep it oem.

M-tec are doing some super cheap and on the surface excellent looking drilled and grooves discs and pads for not much money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300601428707

Anyone used these?

Advice would be great.

Genuine stuff is pretty cheap from Cotswold, no messing around trying to work out what ones fit then, got fed up trawling through ebay trying to work out why some said they would or wouldn't fit my car but seemed like the same bits. think I paid about £180 for discs, pads and wear sensor.

Never been convinced about those drilled+grooved discs, just seem like stress risers that are going to make the disc more likely to crack. Fair enough on a track car which is going to build up lots of heat over a short period of time and then get everything checked before the next session, but seems a bit pointless on an e39.

Edited by lufbramatt

Mtec brake discs with EBC Redstuff pads

Partnered with HEL braided lines, you'll have a superb braking system! 

EBC pads are very good now, their Redstuff and Yellowstuff pads are very good, the Mtec grooved or C hook discs are also very good, great for keeping the pads glaze free. 

EBC used to have a bad rep, that was a long time ago and mainly around their Greenstuff pads... This is no longer, they're well respected and a lot of people rate them. 

However, if you just want basic braking, Brembo or Mintex blank discs and pads visible eBay will be fine... 

Pagid discs and pads from Eurocarparts

Used then on my 530i, no problems

Avoid anything cheap and nasty, eg Eicher from ECP and you'll be fine though

6 minutes ago, Too late said:

What I fitted . Fitted well and bedded in great . That's the trick . Combine with good tyres and good driving and there is no need for anything more on a road car . 

I would never fit braided lines on a road car . 

Why? once fitted they'll never need to be replaced. Less compliant than rubber hoses, so a much better pedal feel and unlike rubber, they don't perish! 

Horses for courses, everyone's different... But stuff like braided lines makes a lot of sense IMO 

4x mintex discs from micks garage, delivered to NZ were about 110 pounds... your shipping should be cheaper. They're been great on our 525i

I got posi-quiet ceramic pads elsewhere though, to help reduce dust!

Hi,

I did the same as Dan 1979, MTEC cross drilled disks all round, braided brake lines but used Pagid pads. Very happy indeed!

Cheers, Dennis!

As luck would have it my pad warning light came on today so I'm now also on the lookout for replacements.

From what I read, Pagid/Textar seem to be OEM fitment but I see on another site that people are complaining that Pagid quality has recently taken a nose dive with talk of squealing and warped discs.

I had thought of going with Bosch but I gather you lose the sensor function with them.

For what it's worth, Cotswold are today quoting £71 for front pads with sensor, Europarts £46 for Pagid with sensor (includes weekend discount).

Is this now another case like the Behr radiators which are either sturdy originals or Chinese rubbish??

Very confused!

On 09/03/2017 at 0:06 PM, 535iAR said:

Ate discs from Euro car parts and Textar pads from Euro car parts.

Keep it OEM.  

when it comes to brakes spend money, don't save it!

^^^^ +1

IMO, OEM is not always better... However, OEM can be more expensive, which isn't justifiable etc

Fully agree that brakes, like tyres, are one place to not skimp, but paying over the odds for stuff that's the same, but cheaper, as it doesn't have BMW on it etc, isn't always the best choice

Companies like Mtec and EBC have been around a long time and work very well together. Mintex and Brembo similar...

Depending on the part, you can sometimes do better than OEM. Brake pads is one example, EBC redstuff is quite a bit superior compared to Textar, including slow driving. I used to run Brembo vented (plain surface, not grooved etc.) and EBC Redstuff for years, now switched to Pagid discs and pads - for costs reasons. No complaints, but then again, my e39 is a workhorse so it's not getting pushed very much.

Springs/shocks are another example where you can do much better for less money. OEM is best in most cases, not all.

Now my new ATE front caliopers, Brembo discs all-round and Brembo pads all-round are fitted, I'm extremely happy with the feel and lack of juddering. 30% off at Euros helped, as did the cashback from Quidco.

Sounds good. Looking forward to doing the discs and pads on mine, just waiting for warmer weather and longer days. Going to do all 4 front arms, ARB bushes and droplinks at the same time. Big box of bits in the loft at the moment. Hopefully get rid of the shimmy for good!

Don't fit Pagid. Had tons of comebacks due to brake squeal on various motors. Mine have been on since October and are vibrating all over the place, dangerous braking at speed. Theyre getting changed under warranty at the weekend. We've been fitting Ferodo Premier in our place for a few months now with 0 issues. Quite a high quality for reasonable money.

2 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

56% off at Euro Car Parts currently. Just priced up rear ATE pads, discs, and handbrake shoes and it was little over £100 for the lot. Not bad at all.

Up to 56%. I priced a master cylinder and came out at 30%, and was still too expensive at £120. Disappointed.

Yep took advantage a few weeks ago. And got all

My front discs and pads for 150. Got some money off for ecp not delivering on time time too and a free £20 car wash pack thingy.