bmw535dlad

E60 M5 gearbox fit my e60 535d?

26 posts in this topic

This might of already been covered on here but if I was to put hybrid turbos on my e60 535d I don't think the gearbox could take much more as I'm at 725nm already so would a M5 gearbox fit so I could go more power?

Any advise would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are already well beyond your autobox limit of 600Nm.

I wouldn't go putting much more thru it. Unless you've got a spare £3k for a refurbed box.

It doesn't like 760Nm much.

I don't think the clutch could take the torque personally

Edited by Blobby
535i Andrew likes this

Remember that an M5 has less torque than a standard 535d so don't expect an M5 box to be able to take it just because it's on a 500bhp car.

535i Andrew and tej like this

My LCI box is holding out at about 800Nm. I'm just careful not to abuse it and I'll be doing regular fluid changes in it. An M5 box will have different ratios to the diesel boxes due to the different power band too. 

Westy likes this

6HP26 box is good for 600Nm, that's the design input torque according to TIS and ZF for my pre LCi E60.

The LCi boxes can take a bit more but it's like 50Nm more, nowhere near you are or wanting to be.

http://www.ukrtrans.biz/files/2010/08/ZF6HP26_Transmission.pdf

Westy likes this

Got some good feed back here guys but does anyone know who has actually tried any of the suggestions you have made? And how did it work out?

I think there would be so much coding and adapting involved it would be cheaper to buy M550d or M5 in the long run.. Even the latest 535d is no slouch and you could try and pick up a second hand one of them

That picture with a gearbox in bits would have me guessing which part goes where. I wouldn't mind having a revamped torque converter though, at times mine feels it slips too much

Edited by Blobby

What you see in that upgrade thread is someone effectively rebuilding the box, which will set you back £3k by the time it's slotted back in between the engine and the prop shaft.

21 hours ago, jake13 said:

The hardest job would be getting the tranny off the car, rebuild is not too difficult because there are plenty of videos online.

ZF Repair Manual.pdf

Well that looks like a peace of piss, where's me adjustable spanner :D

Mashed Potatoes and Westy like this

47 minutes ago, jake13 said:

If I look hard enough, I'll probably find the 6hp28 repair manual.

I don't think it will be any easier..

23 hours ago, jake13 said:

The hardest job would be getting the tranny off the car, rebuild is not too difficult because there are plenty of videos online.

ZF Repair Manual.pdf

Not difficult at all if you have all the necessary drifts and means to press down the spring plates when reassembling the clutch packs. And the accurate means of measuring everything.

Now I'm sure I've got a gift voucher from Halfords somewhere.....

Westy and Mashed Potatoes like this

I have stripped manual boxes down before so maybe i would be able to strip one of these, but because you need the special tools and not make do with something else, also the tolerances required and the possibilities of what can go wrong, i won't bother

Be nice to be able to pick up a box from a scrappy and get it on the bench at home. Could then strip and build at your own leisure when time and funds permit. Then do a swap for your box.

Blobby and Mashed Potatoes like this