Wabby

Dark Side May Be Calling

52 posts in this topic

^^^^^ That would be an early Mk5 i,m guessing,seem to remember the GLS was quite rare compared to the L,GL,s and Ghias.

1 hour ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

I have to say, in this class of car it would be either the C Class saloon or the new Alfa Giulia. I wouldn't even consider the F30 3 Series - it's basically a tarted up E90 in design and thus 5 years out of date as well as being rather dull and inconspicuous. BMW really need to up their game as they're being left behind. The G30 5 Series will be old hat by 2019 (it's only a facelift of the F10) so they really shouldn't make the next 3 Series look like that. Time for an E30-v-E36 type sea change gents.

I had several Cortinas including a 1980 2.0GLS with fishnet Recaros :-)

Boasting again I know - however in a very secure shed is 1974 Mk 1 RS2000, original, unspoiled, Olympic blue, black recaros, factory rs wheels plus the steel specials of ebay etc, paid £1800 for it and around £850 to do the front wings and paint jobs, full decal set plus the big cibbie spot lamps all came with the car - maybe it will see light of day fairly soon but family wont consider a sale - it was his 19 birthday pressie and he well into mid forties now and guards its security with cctv..................

7 hours ago, NWJW said:

I was going to ask what engine was in the car you were test driving, I've heard the petrols are quite thrashy (unless you opt for the AMG six pot :-D) and that the 2.1 diesel isn't particularly refined either, how does it compare to the m57?

Its obviously nowhere near as fast, or as refined ... but its punchy for only 200hp and with the 9 speed box is very quiet at motorway speeds. Some reviews say its noisy low down, but I dont hear it. Got enough 'get up and go' for a little fun, and handles extremely well (I wasnt expecting it to handle well after reading reviews). Either these journos can't drive or only had one an hour or so. I've had this two days so far and I dont want to give it back. 

Only annoyance so far: its fully premium plus amg line specc'd, but hasnt got seat belt assist passer thingymabobs. 

Hopefully can do a deal when I take it back. 

9 gears in a car! I've driven trucks with less. They must be like a DAF variomatic

In my opinion I find all the new merc saloons a bit ugly from behind and would much prefer the AMG style estates.

I agree with Sir Antony, the F30 in anything other than M3/4 is pretty bland. The E9x was a far better looking car, classier somehow.

4 minutes ago, Nomis said:

9 gears in a car! emoji15.png I've driven trucks with less. They must be like a DAF variomatic emoji23.png

In my opinion I find all the new merc saloons a bit ugly from behind and would much prefer the AMG style estates.

I agree with Sir Antony, the F30 in anything other than M3/4 is pretty bland. The E9x was a far better looking car, classier somehow.

Its not a saloon ... its a Coupe. 

Nomis likes this

11 hours ago, NWJW said:

I love how this is a BMW forum but the slightest mention of an old Ford gets everyone talking. I don't know if rose tinted spectacles are involved but I think it says a lot for the old blue ovals. 

Because we all really know that if Ford made a decent rear wheel drive car, we would all be driving that instead. But as only BMW make cars that are driven by the rear wheels which aren't for old men or golfists, then we all drive BMWs!:D

NWJW, Nomis and Loadmaster like this

Because we all really know that if Ford made a decent rear wheel drive car, we would all be driving that instead. But as only BMW make cars that are driven by the rear wheels which aren't for old men or golfists, then we all drive BMWs!

They do and I'm waiting for them to become affordable to a peasant like me..........Mustang!

NWJW and 535iAR like this

11 minutes ago, Nomis said:

They do and I'm waiting for them to become affordable to a peasant like me..........Mustang!

It's not just me then that's hoping the new Mustang will depreciate like a stone! :-D  I think that although they are actually cheap to buy new considering what you get for your cash they will hold their money and still be worth a few quid in five or ten years. Look at the prices of Monaros, they were only about £30k new and decent ten year old ones still fetch £10k plus. I did read that Ford have deliberately kept stock levels of new Mustangs low so as to keep the residuals of second ones high.   

P.S. They never should have made the Mondeo front wheel drive, the chassis/floorpan is actually laid out in a way that could take a rear wheel drive powertrain but instead they sent power to the wrong wheels. :-(

Edited by NWJW
Nomis and 535iAR like this

7 minutes ago, NWJW said:

They never should have made the Mondeo front wheel drive, the chassis/floorpan is actually laid out in a way that could take a rear wheel drive powertrain but instead they sent power to the wrong wheels. :-(

My parents both had the MK 3 which when removing the rear wheels you could clearly see the suspension set up could cater for a diff and driveshafts. In fact a mate who went back to Oz sent pictures of his 'Mondeo' which he was boasting was a 6cyl rear wheel drive job but wasn't called a Mondeo but the body shell was identical.

But Ford didn't want to make it rear drive as it is more expensive, heavier, uses more fuel, exactly what our Government don't want!

So I went out and bought my first E60 cos it was two figured salute to Gordon Brown and the lentil brigade when I was eligible for a Mk3 Mondeo Ghia as a company car.  In fact I had looked at a Monaro (the love child of a Lotus Carlton and Calibra) first but I needed something a bit more conservative for meeting clients etc. I could only buy a red one and at the time tbh a 6.0  just sounded too much.

12 hours ago, 740mick said:

^^^^^ That would be an early Mk5 i,m guessing,seem to remember the GLS was quite rare compared to the L,GL,s and Ghias.

CBW818V, November 1979 build, Jan '80 registered, It was Midnight blue with the twin spot lights plus it had the slightly uprooted suspension with solid axle bushes (same as the Estate) and Bilstein dampers plus 185 tyres.

Bought in in mid 1989 from Witney Car Auction for £350, put a new wing on it and smoked it about for a while. It was on the road for another 5-6 years. The 2.0 was a better car in as much that it suffered far less from axle whine in old age.

Mondeos  have always been a good looking car for their era, the latest one is a great looking thing, if a little on the large side, with a great interior. If they were RWD they would be a serious contender as an alternative to the 5er. I'd like to think the Mustang will depreciate like a stone but I've got a feeling it won't, time will tell I guess. 

Anyway, back on subject...........I like the coupe merc B)

How about a nice new Alfa Giulia QV. Now that is a car

^Just watch out for one with a damaged windscreen and serious scratches to the roof and door pillar! :D

Presumably to fund the Mk4 Cortina purchase?

NWJW likes this

1 hour ago, 535iAR said:

Presumably to fund the Mk4 Cortina purchase?

Indeed. ;)

535iAR likes this

I loved my C when I had it, wrote off early last year in heavy fog, gutted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also considering a merc at the moment.

A 2011 E220 CDI blueefficiency Avantgarde.

Has anybody had any experience of these? Are they quick when you need them to be?

I know nothing about Mercs but this one does look appealing.Only 29k miles and up for £12500 main dealer.

12 hours ago, bmwtransit said:

I know nothing about Mercs 

You'll be the perfect Merc driver then as the majority of Merc drivers know nothing about their car either......

On 10/03/2017 at 10:12 PM, 740mick said:

I had a Mk4 2.3 Ghia auto,79 T reg in Jupiter Red with a black vinyl roof when i was in my early 20,s,

The memories of this car are still clear as it remains one of my all time favourite cars i,ve owned.

I also enjoyed my mk5 Cortina 2.3 Ghia X, a good and pokey car in its day, pic taken around 1986!  31years ago bloody hell.

20170321_133224.jpg

duncan-uk, Nomis and 740mick like this