Wabby

Dark Side May Be Calling

52 posts in this topic

So the dark side may be calling.

Looking for a new motor and seriously checking out the 3 pointed star offerings.

Anybody anything good or bad to say about the latest C-class Coupe? Other than there is no room in the back, of which I don't care.

Depends on your size, but no room in the front either... 

I know I'm a Cadburys mishape :lol: My pals got one and I struggled as both passes and driver... 

Edited by d_a_n1979

The 3 pointy star C carries more road presence than a 3er.

I always look again at a Merc, esp the AMG body kit versions, without the body kit they are old men's cars. 

Ex father in law bought a 4 door new recently. It's ok, don't like the screen thing that does sat nav, looks like an after though not being integrated into the dash. Prefer a 3er just because they are better looking.

Stunning cars, the upgraded sounds are superb and the interior way ahead of the 3 series interior which I personally don't like.  

I say go for it.  

Wabby likes this

In my opinion the Merc is a different class of car driven by a different class of owner.  

I was always for BMW but the last few years iv appreciated the Mercedes look more and more.

im not a massive fan of the new C Class coupe and prefer the looks of the saloon. The AMG kitted saloon is one of the nicest looking cars on the road.  The new CLS is simply stunning.

For me BMW has lost its soul with the newer stuff and as I spend eight hours a day on the road they are also generally driven by idiots.

ROB163, Steve AD and Mr_530i like this

8 hours ago, Fezzy16v said:

In my opinion the Merc is a different class of car driven by a different class of owner.  

I was always for BMW but the last few years iv appreciated the Mercedes look more and more.

im not a massive fan of the new C Class coupe and prefer the looks of the saloon. The AMG kitted saloon is one of the nicest looking cars on the road.  The new CLS is simply stunning.

For me BMW has lost its soul with the newer stuff and as I spend eight hours a day on the road they are also generally driven by idiots.

Agree. Watched the latest crime watch episode and three incidents of hit and runs were all done by BMW drivers.  

Also Mercs interior do look and feel next Gen, compared to newer BMWs. 

Fezzy16v likes this

23 hours ago, 535iAR said:

The 3 pointy star C carries more road presence than a 3er.

100% agree with this, however, I still prefer the 3, in fact, I'm not a fan of anything in Mercedes' current line up. And I had a nose inside a new C class a while back and whilst it was a pleasant place to be all the little chrome details everywhere really put me off, and it looked like they used the vents from a mk4 Cortina.

32 minutes ago, NWJW said:

mk4 Cortina.

One of the last decent Fords, Ford made!

Nomis likes this

My dad had a silver LHD 1.6 mk4 Cortina that he fitted a 2.0 out of a transit into. He sprayed the back panel matt black like the S models. He drove it everywhere like he'd stolen it and I loved it, such a cool car I thought. XNT 260S.

sshooie likes this

6 minutes ago, Nomis said:

My dad had a silver LHD 1.6 mk4 Cortina that he fitted a 2.0 out of a transit into. He sprayed the back panel matt black like the S models and I loved it. He drove it everywhere like he'd stolen it and I loved it, such a cool car I thought. XNT 260S.

Last 'Tina' i had was a 2.3 Ghia S. Loved it with a 2.8 dropped in. Same as this.

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9164&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1316901250

urquattro and sshooie like this

I love a 2.0s in signal yellow

Most journeys of my childhood were in mk3-5 cortinas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've an old s211 E320cdi and it's a very good car that's well built, what I've found with this particular car is Mercedes have seemingly taken driving into consideration, and have thought out all the controls really well and devised systems that just make daily driving life easier :)

if ESP wasn't so evasive and I could actually turn it off, I reckon it'd drift quite well too :lol: 

I looked a a few different Mercs before buying an F10.  C class, the 4x4 one and others I can't recall.  The one thing that stood out was what I felt was a really low quality interior.  Not just materials necessarily but also design and attention to detail - almost like someone's trying too hard and ended up with something cheap looking / tacky.  

Had one on test now for a few hours ... think the 3 pointy stars are calling. 

On 8 March 2017 at 9:26 PM, roofer said:

Last 'Tina' i had was a 2.3 Ghia S. Loved it with a 2.8 dropped in. Same as this.

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9164&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1316901250

I had a Mk4 2.3 Ghia auto,79 T reg in Jupiter Red with a black vinyl roof when i was in my early 20,s,

The memories of this car are still clear as it remains one of my all time favourite cars i,ve owned.

^nah, I think the outcome of this thread is that you should go an buy a Mk4 Cortina with a 2.3 lump in it.  It would make a far nicer noise than the Merc you want.

Might not be quite as quick/reliable/well built but......

740mick, NWJW and Nomis like this

10 hours ago, 535iAR said:

^nah, I think the outcome of this thread is that you should go an buy a Mk4 Cortina with a 2.3 lump in it.  It would make a far nicer noise than the Merc you want.

Might not be quite as quick/reliable/well built but......

I love how this is a BMW forum but the slightest mention of an old Ford gets everyone talking. I don't know if rose tinted spectacles are involved but I think it says a lot for the old blue ovals. 

Nomis and 535iAR like this

11 hours ago, Wabby said:

C250d it is then. 

Its been nice owning you 535d. 

I was going to ask what engine was in the car you were test driving, I've heard the petrols are quite thrashy (unless you opt for the AMG six pot :-D) and that the 2.1 diesel isn't particularly refined either, how does it compare to the m57?

I have to say, in this class of car it would be either the C Class saloon or the new Alfa Giulia. I wouldn't even consider the F30 3 Series - it's basically a tarted up E90 in design and thus 5 years out of date as well as being rather dull and inconspicuous. BMW really need to up their game as they're being left behind. The G30 5 Series will be old hat by 2019 (it's only a facelift of the F10) so they really shouldn't make the next 3 Series look like that. Time for an E30-v-E36 type sea change gents.

I had several Cortinas including a 1980 2.0GLS with fishnet Recaros :-)

Edited by Sir Anthony Regents-Park