FAB_BMW

E60 530d Coolant Temperature

21 posts in this topic

Hey guys, recently bought a 2009 E60 530d, and I've got a query about the coolant temperature, what should it be?

I ask because I've started getting the Particle Filter warning up on the iDrive. I've tried taking it on the motorway and the DPF doesn't seem to regenerate.

The cabin heater also seems to take ages to get hot, and the MPG isn't as good as it should be.

I've accessed the hidden menu, and checked the coolant temperature. When sitting in traffic the temperature gets to about 80, but not above, and when driving along at 30mph it doesn't go above 70 degrees. Is this too low? And if it is would it cause the above problems?

Thanks in advance.

Should be around 90 degrees for normal operation. Get yourself a new main thermostat and a new egr thermostat. My coolant temps were around 84 degrees which is good enough to meet the regen requirements but the egr stat was too weak to allow a regen to finish. It would just start but not stay hot enough to complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pidgeonpost and FAB_BMW like this

As above, your stats need changing as soon as possible before the DPF clogs up.

These cars do take an age to warm up though even with good stats, it's a big lump to heat.

FAB_BMW and pidgeonpost like this

Mine takes around 20 mins in the winter to be at a stable 90 degrees.

pidgeonpost likes this

Cheers guys. The car was bought from BMW approved used, so I'll send it in to them armed with with info.

Good luck with the dealer. I took mine in and told them it was never getting above high 60's low 70's and they still told me that was fine. Changed the stats anyway.

Agree with it taking a good while to warm up fully even with new stats.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Quick q on the same line. Is 86/87c ok temp? Mine gets to that after a few miles but even after an hour it's not getting to 90 and wondered if I need to look at changing stats? Thanks in advance

When the thermostats are new you get a running temperature of around 92C. This declines over time as the thermostats age. You'll get an even higher temperature, like 94C, during a regen (which usually happens pretty soon after replacing the thermostats).

In my opinion maintaining around 85C once warmed up is fine, probably holding over 80C will be OK but if it's dipping below that after reaching maximum temperature then you need to be changing thermostats.

Machinehead likes this

Cool. This diesel stuff is all new to me!! Reading and learning as I go along!

During cooler weather you may also want to consider screening off the radiator to a degree by inserting a sheet of cardboard (or similar) between the aircon condensor and the radiator. Not large enough to completely block the radiator obviously, but big enough to obscure maybe 1/3 to 1/2, reducing but not preventing cooling from air movement.

Once we get decent daily temperatures again, I'd remove the screening, but monitoring the coolant temperatures will aid you in such choices until you get around to replacing stats.

This is achieving the same as the Efficient Dynamics radiator blind, just without the opening when hot (which is pretty rare anyway unless you're thrashing it).

Just a thought....

25 minutes ago, Machinehead said:

^^^ Blimey - I thought that practice died out in the 70's!! :lol:

It's an oldie but it works... may lessen the effect of a failed stat for some of the oil burning community until they get around to replacment.

Used it all the time years ago especially on S3 Land Rovers, even in the Summer. Kind of nervous about doing it on my E60 with no temperature gauge though.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Small update, the car is in BMW, and they are investigating the DPF not regenerating. They have found a problem with the heater plugs, so that is being done under warranty first, then they will go from there. They are of the mind that the car is not getting up to temperature, but they have to sort out the stored codes first, hence the heater plugs.

I'll update when I know more.

1 hour ago, FAB_BMW said:

Small update, the car is in BMW, and they are investigating the DPF not regenerating. They have found a problem with the heater plugs, so that is being done under warranty first, then they will go from there. They are of the mind that the car is not getting up to temperature, but they have to sort out the stored codes first, hence the heater plugs.

I'll update when I know more.

Well that's a bit of luck - you probably wouldn't have known the glow plugs needed changing if you hadn't had the DPF problem.

There's a heated debate on the web about whether glow plugs are needed for DPF regen or not. Glow plugs are not mentioned at all in the BMW documentation regarding DPF regeneration but some people are certain they are needed. On my car they are not, I know that because I can read out the mileage my glow plugs failed and the mileage since the last DPF regen. However it does seem some models or even different years do need glow plugs for a DPF regen.

Anyway BMW have excelled themselves here because the BMW documentation is crystal clear that the engine coolant must be over 75C for DPF regeneration to commence....and they're fixing the prime suspect last!

Completely agree, I would be annoyed if I was having to pay for any of this and they left the thermostats till last. But I'm just letting them get on with it.

Personally I can't see how glow plugs are needed for the regen. They are used to warm the cylinders pre starting on a cold engine. Once the engine is running they've served their purpose.

Glow plugs aside, I'm baffled why bmw seem completely ignorant to the role thermostats play in the regeneration cycle . 

I've seen dozens of posts where people have sent their cars into main dealers for dpf problems but not a single one where stats have been changed without a fight. 

Well when I booked the car in, the service advisor had the same problem with his girlfriends 1-series and that was due to the thermostats, so he thinks this is the same problem. Fingers crossed that him in my corner makes it less painful when it comes to getting the stats changed.

And no mention of the EGR stat anywhere. In many cases the main thermostat is capable of getting the coolant above 75 degrees but if the EGR stat is weak then the regen can also have issues.