Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ningham

Shock absorber compatiblity sport se etc

13 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm new here, after some advice.

Picked up a high miler (180k) 535d e61 sport model. 

Used daily for commuting on motorway so adding the miles rapidly. 

Front shocks are nackered. Rears likely on the way out too.

I need to know if any spec shocks will physically fit? I'm happy to replace with an SE spec shock setup as long as I know they will fit.

Any knowledge here appreciated. Thanks. 

Any e61 shocks will fit but if it's a msport if you fit SE Shocks you will loose the sporty feel plus your rear should auto air up.. Oh 180k is nothing I'm on 202k

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

SE shocks will be physically longer than MSport or Sport Settings shocks as the ride height is higher on SE trim.

They will still fit but not ideal as there will be permanently more compression on the strut spindle when you put your MSport springs on.

See here for all the different rear shocks for my last E60 depending on suspension set up.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NB32-EUR---E60-BMW-545i&diagId=33_1170

But you can easily enough pick up the right shocks for your E60 anywhere so don't fit the wrong part.

if you know which end of a spanner to hold, it's an easy enough DIY job.

E60 DIY front strut removal

E60 DIY rear strut removal

Westy likes this

Thanks for that info. It's all a bit confusing because there seems to be a million variations of shocks for these things! 

Pretty sure it's shocks. Rumbles, unstable, twitchy handling and the ride height has dipped slightly on both fronts, one more than the other and no springs broken! Control arms and drop links have been replaced recently

Ride height is controlled by springs not shocks.

Look very closely for the top most or lowest coil in the spring broken, it's more difficult to spot and you may need to take the wheel off to be sure.

Crap tyres at wrong pressures will not help wayward handling.

Also there are a load of ball joints and bushes that can wear and cause a wander on the road.

I will recheck all before purchasing shocks but fairly sure they're to blame. 

I've seen a few times suspension sags because of weak shocks giving no resistance or support to the spring

the ride height ended up dropping a full 2" overnight on one side compared to the other. the front right was literally tucked up into the arch. I already had the shocks waiting to be fitted in the garage so this prompted me to crack on.

stripped it all down and the springs were not broken.

replaced both front shock absorbers and the ride height is now back to normal and rolling smooth.

the only failed part was the shock absorber and this caused the drop in ride height as i suspected.

Dotcom1970 likes this

What part of the shock failed to cause the drop of that amount?

i can only assume a combination of both the gas and air has escaped, therefore pretty much zero resistance in the shock. the weight of the 6 cylinder diesel block is abviously more than the spring alone can handle. im also fairly certain the were the originals looking at the markings on them. (181K miles!)

Has anyone replaced the original "M Sport" shock absorbers (Sachs I believe are the OE manufacturer for both M sport and SE shocks) with Bilstein B4s? I am considering doing this on mine, as the Bilsteins are a little cheaper, and for some reason I imagine are slightly superior.

For the E61 I think I'm looking at p/n:

22-212696 (fronts)

19-239828  (backs - E60 would be different)

I just went with the TAtechnix ones. They were decent money and are the sport spec. Should comfortably see out the life of the vehicle I imagine