Sign in to follow this  
DennisCooper

Radioplayer Car - unit with DAB & Smartphone Control & More

Hi,

Recently been hearing advertisements on the radio about 'Radioplayer Car' so had a look online. It's a small unit installed in the car and connects to the OEM audio system most likely via the FM antenna socket or Aux In where equipped. It's not a new system having been announced late 2014 it seems to be fully available now and hence the adverts for it. Given the recent change about not being able to touch your smartphone when held in a cradle, this unit has Voice Control. Pricing is £245 including installation which seems excellent value considering the fine for touching a cradle held device is £200. Also included is an Antenna, Cradle and microphone etc. 

The website for it is here

http://radioplayercar.com/

A good solution for those who don't want/wish to change from their oem head unit and aren't looking for Sound Quality increases either but just want to stay legal and have extra functionality with access to more content than just DAB stations. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Interesting, and reasonably priced, as you say.

I hadn't heard that there will be a fine associated with even touching cradle-held devices. Our runabout has no satnav and we often mount a smartphone in a cradle for use as satnav. Presumably we'd be acting illegally to touch this too?

Must admit I rarely use the voice control feature in the BMW.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

iPhones already have Siri that can navigate using 3rd party apps as well as it's own. If you're parked, engine off and handbrake up, not in traffic but at home for example or at a parking space then there isn't a charge.

The contravention only applies if the driver holds said "Internet device" while driving or in traffic.

If you have a passenger, as you know, then as long as they do the alterations to navigation then you're fine. If you're alone, find a safe place to park and then make necessary changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a link to the actual rules that lead to the offence anywhere? Be good to be clear on this.

Yes it does but does that mean a phone in a cradle used as satnav is ok?

My understanding was holding a phone whilst driving was the issue along with texting and Facebook and the like.

Is using the phone as the radio or a satnav an offence?

Yes it does but does that mean a phone in a cradle used as satnav is ok?

My understanding was holding a phone whilst driving was the issue along with texting and Facebook and the like.

Is using the phone as the radio or a satnav an offence?

Arguably the physical act of pressing just one button on a dedicated screen-or-dash-mounted satnav is no different to pressing just one button on a cradle-mounted phone being used as a satnav - for example to mute the device.

If they are saying you cannot use an internet-enabled device (if that's the case) then that knocks my use of phone/Google maps on the head unless I preload my route and switch off WiFi and mobile data surely?

I guess the issue isn't just pressing one button, it's the idiots using their handheld phone as if they were sitting in a chair at home, surfing, texting while driving.

Getting off topic I guess.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

I would guess its officers discression as to wether your driving is causing a danger to yourself/others by what you are doing, ie eating, drinking, using the stereo/sat nav or a mobile in a cradle as satnav, the actual offence is for HOLDING a device and using said device while you are in traffic (stationary or not) or whilest driving, if you need to use your device simply pull over in a safe place out of the flow of traffic and apply your hand brake and you will be just fine.