Iain L

Late E60 or early F10 decision

37 posts in this topic

I'm in a position where I'm having to sell my current car. I'll be trading in my Discovery 4 and will be going for a 5 series. I'm doing this as the wife was made redundant last year and I need something cheaper to run. Due to having high milage and can't afford to put much down on another car I will have to be looking at either a late E60 or very early F10 with higher milage. I'm not completely sure if I would be better off with the newer, lower spec F10 or going for a higher spec E60. I will be doing the servicing myself, I already have INPA on a laptop. Any advice would be welcome!

Ive owned both a late E61 and currently have an early F11, the E61 is a great car but for me the F11 is more like my e39, It feels really well built and is a lovely place to be. Would you be going down the 520d route? If so just watch out for the timing chain issue on some engines.

It would be the 520d, I've been reading up on the timing chain issue. If the F series is like the E39 then I would be very happy with that.

Don't buy a 520d in either an E60 or F10 guise. They are agricultural in sound/refinement and can be plagued by the timing chain issues.

Always go for the newer model, but make sure any F10 is a 6 pot petrol or diesel (if you do the mileage to warrant it), has leather and auto and most importantly xenon headlights. Also look for signs/evidence that the aircon matrix has been replaced.

Plenty out there to choose from so be fussy and get the right one. There are some nice toys fitted to some F10 so do your research to find the right one for you.

44 minutes ago, 535iAR said:

Don't buy a 520d in either an E60 or F10 guise. They are agricultural in sound/refinement and can be plagued by the timing chain issues.

Always go for the newer model, but make sure any F10 is a 6 pot petrol or diesel (if you do the mileage to warrant it), has leather and auto and most importantly xenon headlights. Also look for signs/evidence that the aircon matrix has been replaced.

Plenty out there to choose from so be fussy and get the right one. There are some nice toys fitted to some F10 so do your research to find the right one for you.

Out of interest why would it need to have xenons?

3 hours ago, paperjams said:

Ive owned both a late E61 and currently have an early F11, the E61 is a great car but for me the F11 is more like my e39, It feels really well built and is a lovely place to be. Would you be going down the 520d route? If so just watch out for the timing chain issue on some engines.

Agree..... F11 is a far better built car....

1 hour ago, 535iAR said:

6 pot is the way to go and get think the 525d its the smart choice, with a tune it's surpasses a std 530d and heads toward a 535d.   Have had the luxury of this being or third 6 pot diesel I would highly recommend them.   Never had an engine failure, but plenty of suspension airbags, exhaust sensors, idrive glitches and RFT punctures....   

My sister in law has a / year old LRD4 HSE and my brother in law a 2014 520d ms.   She likes her Disco but loves his BMW.   She's doesn't understand why we need a 535d (jealousy is a funny thing)   Scared the hell out of a muppet in an A45 the other night....  

so in summary F11 6 pot if you can.....  and if you can get me a RR Velar 3.0 dynamic in November I have a 2012 535d for you!! 

I hope I can stretch my budget to a 6 pot. I'm going to get a part ex value on my car today, I don't think I'll be offered much as my Discovery is nearly at 157000 miles. I can narrow down my search from there on.

10 hours ago, Fezzy16v said:

Out of interest why would it need to have xenons?

Non Xenon headlights according to those that have them are dangerous.  Candles would give a better light at night.

The Xenons in mine are terrific.

Whilst the standard headlights are not as bright as xenons they aren't dangerous! I have them in my car and they are fine... not brilliant but fine. I'd much rather have the smoother 6 pot with no xenons than a 4 pot with them. 

Lennox and e60neindanke like this

As an owner of an F11 520d for 3 and half years I disagree with the agricultural bit about the engine. Yes on start up it can sound a little gruff but on the move the engine is inaudible. It has enough go and superb economy. Mine is on almost 51000 miles and I do early oil changes and run it on V-Power diesel only. It has averaged 44mpg in my ownership and quite regularly achieves close to or above 50mpg on long runs. 

Having owned many 6 cylinder BMW's I also know the difference and whilst a 6 pot maybe preferably in the F10/11 the two litre diesel is superb. That's why over 90% of the ones sold have this engine. I missed out the E60/61 range as was not a fan of the interior in particular.

I upgraded the bulbs in mine and the lights are good and no where near dangerous.

Edited by E39mad
Iain L likes this

12 minutes ago, paperjams said:

Whilst the standard headlights are not as bright as xenons they aren't dangerous! I have them in my car and they are fine... not brilliant but fine. I'd much rather have the smoother 6 pot with no xenons than a 4 pot with them. 

Id go with this, a car not having xenons wouldn't be a deal breaker for me unless I was constantly driving along poorly lit country lanes all the time.

For whatever reason I always associate BMW with the 6-pot engine and although I knew nothing of the 4-pot the 6-pot was my choice. Had I wanted a 4-pot then the range of cars that appealed would have been wider.

Most diesels are pretty rattly on a cold start, but on the move they are fine. They will never have the silky sound of the 6-pot petrol engine, but fuel consumption is a factor that clinches things for many people (as for pollution that needs a separate thread! ).

I've a friend who ran an E60 3.0d and was delighted with it. When he changed he bought an F series 2.0 and he's very pleased with that, and says that any reduction in power is barely noticeable most of the time, though he's an older bloke who got rid of his competitive urges years ago. I haven't asked him how his timing chain is, but I know he's had a couple of broken springs replaced under warranty.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

535iAR likes this

Well, my budget is set at £10k max. That rules out the 6 pot engines except ex police cars which I won't be going near. So it will be a 520d, most seem to be manual with a few auto's. Is there any real advantage of the M sport over the SE spec? Looks like I have a 3 hour drive to see any of the cars on my list.

I bought my F11 520d in 2015 it is more than adequate for my needs but for how long..........

Now that Diesel seems to be akin to the Anti Christ and with the budget looming I expect Diesel to be steadily hit for more and more fuel duty annually for ever until they all turn over and die.

So with hindsight I might have chosen differently in fact if I had the same money in my pocket today I would be seriously looking at a Petrol Hybrid or full EV and I would probably buy or lease it via PCP or through my Ltd as the tax hit is not bad at all plus the Corporation Tax on a purchase is fully recoverable.

Have you thought about leasing rather than buying 2nd hand?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-series/94188/bmw-330e-plug-in-hybrid-2016-review

Edited by Alexak
535iAR and Iain L like this

A hybrid would be something I would go for, but it's not something I can afford at the moment. One of the reasons for going for a  5 series is the weight of the car for towing my caravan. I will also be driving to the in-laws in Dorset and to my daughters in Inverness, so I will be covering some decent miles. What ever car I do get, I'll probably have it for about 2 years.

Almost 2.5 years ago I had to make the same decision i.e well spec late e60 or a very basic f10 with 4-pot engine and I went for an 09 e60 with 6-pot engine and no regrets so far!

535iAR and Iain L like this

1 hour ago, Alexak said:

Something cheaper to run does not really = a 5 series

Yeah have to agree with you. Folk who buy a 5er then moan that taking it to BMW to get serviced is pricey. Well no sh1t Sherlock.

SE spec v MSport.

SE is a bit more conservative looking, no body kit, no lower stiffened suspension, 17" or 18" wheels compared to MSport which can give you bigger 19" wheels and ///M badges everywhere. Purely personal preference.

Drive both and see which you prefer.

I'm on my fourth BMW but this is my first MSport model and I'm quite happy with it.

I would take a decent spec/ engined SE Over an MSport of lesser spec any day.

1 hour ago, Alexak said:

Now that Diesel seems to be akin to the Anti Christ 

Lovin that ^ :D

1 hour ago, Alexak said:

Have you thought about leasing rather than buying 2nd hand?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-series/94188/bmw-330e-plug-in-hybrid-2016-review

Thats a good shout and one I've toyed with.  10k will get you some good many months payments, but you are left with nothing to show for it after X years....unless I'm missing something. I've always bought mine outright, but that keeps me buying 2nd hand. Just keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow's euro squillions.

I'll be doing the servicing my self. I don't mind taking the hit on part ex in the coming years, so that'll keep some of the cost down. It can't be any more expensive to look after than my current car.

The F10 is not better built that the E60. Nicer interior plastics maybe, but more reliable? No.

I wouldn't touch a higher mileage 520d myself. An E60 525d Sport Auto would be my choice, a far better car than the van engined 5 Series. The F10 is a prettier car no doubt, but older higher mileage versions can absolutely bury you in invoices. They definitely don't drive as well as the E60 - you really notice the bulk.

Vlady likes this

If I was spending £11k on an E60 at the very least I'd expect it to have the larger, nicer looking 19" Spyders on it.

Edited by Fezzy16v

If I was spending £11k on an E60 at the very least I'd expect it to have the larger, nicer looking 19" Spyders on it.

On 06/03/2017 at 8:25 AM, E39mad said:

As an owner of an F11 520d for 3 and half years I disagree with the agricultural bit about the engine. Yes on start up it can sound a little gruff but on the move the engine is inaudible. It has enough go and superb economy. Mine is on almost 51000 miles and I do early oil changes and run it on V-Power diesel only. It has averaged 44mpg in my ownership and quite regularly achieves close to or above 50mpg on long runs. 

Having owned many 6 cylinder BMW's I also know the difference and whilst a 6 pot maybe preferably in the F10/11 the two litre diesel is superb. That's why over 90% of the ones sold have this engine. I missed out the E60/61 range as was not a fan of the interior in particular.

I upgraded the bulbs in mine and the lights are good and no where near dangerous.

Well I've had two F10's (manual and autuo) including actually buying one instead of a company car. It's going next week as G30 arriving. Both in 520d, no issues whatsoever. Yes, I'd like a 535d but having driven both of the G30 Diesel engines i prefer the 520d. I've gone for xDrive as live in the sticks. On a trip to Kent from Lancs yesterday, averaged 54.5mpg. You can get 400 miles or 800+ on a tank depending how you drive it. 66,500 miles for sale at £11500 520d 13 plate sports auto, nav...