535i Andrew

Top Gear

75 posts in this topic

1) I liked the S63 AMG vs DB11 bit. Pretty cool car chase scene....not so much a car review.

2) The Golf bit with Rory was a little bit of a step up I think. Expect me to believe a Golf with 306bhp was faster than race cars? Who were driving the race cars? Grandmothers on a Sunday drive out?

3) I thought the Abarth 124 section was wrong due to a number of reasons, main ones being i) Matt calling it a Fiat, ii) Abarth 124 being compared to a standard MX5 and not a MazdaSpeed MX5 (one doesn't exist), iii) Think I heard him saying the 124 was £5k more expensive, yet when I went to the Mazda website, the MX5 RF launch edition is £29k which is only £1k cheaper, iv) Think i also heard him saying it was too grippy (the tyres) and not simple like a 60s small sports car. I wonder why he just didn't get a Fiat 124 and reviewed that. This way it would be comparable to the MX5 and the 60s Fiat 124, and probably tick some of the boxes that he required from it.  

I didn't like Rory a lot in the beginning of this new Top Gear, but he is growing on me. If someone asked how I feel about him, I would reply with "Meh", but now I'm like "He is aight" 

I just can't bring myself to watch it still. I guess I'm still mourning old top gear too much because on the whole I loved it. I don't even watch the grand tour avidly for the same reason. I think I need councelling :lol:

19 hours ago, Too late said:

There is room for a REAL motoring show. TG was just a joke .I love the jay leno  show. wish he did one that involved a lot more reviews and driving etc. Everyone Loves the guy. 

Jay Leno's Garage? Discovered that a few months ago on some Freeview channel and loved it.

Just watched Sunday's Top Gear. I now have a new reason why I need a Lotto win. That Aston.....

SuperDave likes this

I'm quite enjoying this series without Evans. The chemistry will come. I'm sure if you went back and watched the first series that Clarkson, Hammond, and May did together it was much the same.

The Nurburgring feature was a bit of fun. I've driven the ring a lot and you always see super cars cruising. Why would you risk binning an expensive car?! Sabine was brought up driving that track and as we know she can get a transit round in under 10 mins so it was nothing to do with the new Golf GTI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo_1986 likes this

Its almost like its back to the cars, v enjoyable overall. Just need TGT and will be sorted for cars and laughs

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mo_1986 likes this

And damm....

They had bloody Eddie J on there again last night....

FFS - IMHO he is nearly as bad as Evans....

Don't the BBC production teams ever watch their own shows....???

I just can't abide his pointless wittering !!!

SuperDave likes this

Any one dared to watch Extra Gear with George Lewis? Who the fuck is he and where did he come from? I mean a quick google search came up with a comedian.. I watched his act on Youtube and it's as bad as his presenting

Westy likes this

5 hours ago, Piper said:

I like it. Can't really knock it, just like all three guys, the cars have been class and the locations top notch. 

Same as that really looks ok to me ,on the plus side no daft challenges which had got really lame

I think some of the footage they have captured over the last few episodes has been really excellent. I assume they are now using drones and it really works. Overall I think its getting there, Le Blanc on the whole is very good, Harris is starting to settle in and gives the show some credibility with us proper car fans. I agree about Rory Reid though, nice guy but he really doesn't bring anything to the show at all. It has the potential to be very good though, so long as they get rid of EJ, the silly old fart, and limit Sabine to driving and no talking!

Last night I watched it with the volume muted for domestic reasons. I missed not being able to hear the cars but not much else. And how does using a crane grab to drop an old fridge or bath onto a perfectly good shed qualify as 'entertainment'? Beats me!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

Last night I watched it with the volume muted for domestic reasons. I missed not being able to hear the cars but not much else. And how does using a crane grab to drop an old fridge or bath onto a perfectly good shed qualify as 'entertainment'? Beats me! emoji1.png

It just a bit of a piss take, it's no big deal really is it

It just a bit of a piss take, it's no big deal really is it

No, it's not a big deal. Just seems like schoolboy stuff to me. Why not give us a bit more about cars?

5 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

No, it's not a big deal. Just seems like schoolboy stuff to me. Why not give us a bit more about cars?

You're kidding....?

This new series is the most car focussed TG there has been for years. The crane/grabber thing was a good old bit of childish fun and I laughed out loud at it. I mean - wouldn't you do it for a laugh given the chance.?

I wasn't a fan of TG last year and had serious reservations this year - but it's panning out superbly and the episode just gone (Cuba, mental Merc etc) was just excellent TV.

MLB has become a great host and the other two are settling in nicely. I reckon they've got it spot on - I like it a lot.

You're kidding....?

This new series is the most car focussed TG there has been for years. The crane/grabber thing was a good old bit of childish fun and I laughed out loud at it. I mean - wouldn't you do it for a laugh given the chance.?

I wasn't a fan of TG last year and had serious reservations this year - but it's panning out superbly and the episode just gone (Cuba, mental Merc etc) was just excellent TV.

MLB has become a great host and the other two are settling in nicely. I reckon they've got it spot on - I like it a lot.

The crane grab thing? No, I wouldn't do it. I agree it is more car focused but the crane thing just harks back to the old series. If they've got a bit of space to fill I'd rather they did something useful with it - they could feature Piper's used spares for sale for example!

Piper likes this

On 4/18/2017 at 7:17 AM, pidgeonpost said:

The crane grab thing? No, I wouldn't do it. I agree it is more car focused but the crane thing just harks back to the old series. If they've got a bit of space to fill I'd rather they did something useful with it - they could feature Piper's used spares for sale for example! emoji6.png

Lol I was just thinking I have an whole E39 in parts in my garage

Lol I was just thinking I have an whole E39 in parts in my garage

Ideal! Get the team to put it together against the clock!

I really like the new show, they are doing a really good job so far, they look like they have a good relationship building and the content is pretty good so far, still not a patch on the old top gear, but they had over a decade to become friends and have the chemistry that most enjoyed

I enjoyed this series.  Le Blanc is a good host, and the BBC should hang on to him.  Harris is improving, still not sure about Reid.  Top entertainment though.  Everything has worked out for the best I think - Top Gear AND The Grand Tour.  Two car shows instead of one.

I'm going to be honest here - and I expect to get flamed - but I preferred this series of Top Gear to Grand Tour.

I though this series was good, all Reid needs to do is stop repeating every sentence twice and Harris should drop the grumpy old man act and just do what he used to do in his YouTube vids, drive the nuts off the car.....

Le Blanc.....he's a pro

Mo_1986 likes this

I haven't got access to The Grand Tour and I missed the first series with Evans, but I quite like Top Gear with its new presenters. More about the cars, less about them. And I quite like Harris's grumpy crosspatch schtick. I think Reid will grow into it.

You're not missing anything with Grand Tour, it's like old Top Gear with all the car stuff taken out.

New Top Gear ... Le Blanc & Harris are getting there, Rory Reid is pointless and the thing he did with Sabine at the Nurburgring shrieking and squealing every time they passed something was one of the most cringe-worthy things I've ever seen on TV. He needs stuck in the same skip as EJ.

I like the way they use guests through the show and the GT86 is ace but Monkey Harris's grumpy act isn't fooling anyone and is just embarrassingly contrived, like the worst of old Top Gear without the saving grace of at least being funny.

Happily the camerawork and editing remains stunning though, they set the bar.