535i Andrew

Top Gear

75 posts in this topic

I thought it was so much better now with Evans gone. One of the only challenges I've ever enjoyed watching as I normally despise them.

And I'm still trying to figure out who this Rory guy is, where he's come from and what he's doing on Top Gear. He's almost annoying me as much as Evans did.

Thought it was slightly better than Grand Tour and much better without Evans.

I want one of those jet washers hehe :wub:

I liked it, and the opening Ferrari bit was nicely filmed.

Comparing TG first episode with GT I prefer GT and I'm not a clarkson fan but he is funny. 

13 hours ago, E39Man said:

I liked it, and the opening Ferrari bit was nicely filmed.

Comparing TG first episode with GT I prefer GT and I'm not a clarkson fan but he is funny. 

Nice 530i there in your signature. You wanna get rid? :P

I thought it was okay. For me it was as good as The Grand Tour, but brought a slightly refreshing side of things whereas the Grand Tour just brought the same jokes etc. It was certainly better than last Top Gear with Evans. Love the new studio too. It was like 5th Gear with a hint of old Top Gear which I'm fine with. All in all, as a car guy, we have two good car shows to watch now.

From this episode, I can already tell that Chris Harris is the serious one and best driver; Rory is the fun, thinking out of the box guy, and Matt brings everything together. I think they have definitely distanced themselves from making people compare them to Clarkson and Co. I'm sure that they will get better as time goes on :) 

ROB163, Blobby and e60neindanke like this

I had free tickets to go to Top Gears live show last Sunday, but chose not to after watching the first episode last Saturday.

Then I watched the second episode of the Top Gear this Monday and really enjoyed. Not sure if I made a mistake not going.

I am a Chris Harris Fan, and enjoyed watching him driving/drifting the Alfa, as it was awesome.   

If they keep making shows like epsiode 2, they may well be able to compete with GT, which sometimes I don't like, because of the old man pervey jokes and when they use cars as toys for playing battle ship etc. 

Edited by Mr_530i

Caught up with this on iPlayer yesterday and enjoyed the first two episodes of this series.

My only gripe is Harris, great driver and car reviewer but he's trying too hard IMO. He tries to be funny in the GT86 but just comes across as an angry cock! He also tries too hard in the interviewing, and the way he slaps the stars repeatedly on the back is cringe worthy.

Keep him out of the studio and let him do the road tests and road trips. ;)

C.

Harris is one of the better real road testers, he's a real car geek and great showboater (watch his Ferrari F40/F50 video), however, I agree he is oncer egging it a bit.  Maybe time will give him the confidence to be himself.  

On 08/03/2017 at 1:27 PM, Saint said:

Missed it as didn't realise it was on again. Caught it on iPlayer. That Harris chap rather ruins it. Bit too formulaic and returned to the Clarkson formula. If they wanted to do that, then they shouldn't have sacked him. Rather than try and recreate him, they should have done something different. Maybe be a little more serious with their reviews rather than the forced laddish behaviour in far flung places. But apart from that, it was a lot better than Chris Evans TG.

Haha, go type in chris harris into youtube. He hasnt changed just because hes now on topgear. Hes just playing himself!

All they have done is put a guy who is fanatical about cars, as a presenter. You know, one who can actually drive. Because hes quite a sucsessfull racing driver. 

I personally think they do have a bit of chemistry. Its only gonna get better with time. Thankfully they have folk that can actually drive a car to its full potential this time. 

Lennox, Mo_1986 and Mr_530i like this

Yesterday's episode was reasonably awful. Matt Le Blanc - whatever i've said about him in the past - is the only one I can watch. Cannot stand the other two, Reid being by far the worst.

It was just cliche ridden laboured television, high on production values, short on imagination.

Edited by Sir Anthony Regents-Park

I thought the Bond take-off was utterly junk! Can't they work out how to review an Aston & a Merc without such awful copying of other people or ideas?

It still feels to me like they're trying to copy or re-hash all the "old" Top Gear jokes and set pieces... they need to just come up with their own material rather than apeing Clarkson & co.

I watched all of The Grand Tour, and while some of it was mediocre, (especially the "guests" getting killed each week) the major pieces were just so much funnier, even if they're now predictable.

Really good so far and much better than with Evans at the helm. Enjoyed last nights episode, I'd drop Rory Reid and the special guest bit which is pointless..

Mo_1986 likes this

4 hours ago, Too late said:

Am I allowed to say crap ? ! 

It it truly is rubbish .  

Agreed. I think the whole lot is just utter shite, and it's probably only a matter of time until they axe it. Le Blanc is just about watchable but the quicker the bbc realise it will just never be the same again the better. Complete waste of OUR (tv licence)  money. 5th gear for the win, much better show and at least they are not trying and failing miserable at imitating a former show and or hosts.....

2 hours ago, Fezzy16v said:

Really good so far and much better than with Evans at the helm. Enjoyed last nights episode, I'd drop Rory Reid and the special guest bit which is pointless..

You must be watching something else! 

It's worse than 5th gear! 

They even look awkward when stood there.....

Mr potato head should stick to being a potato and then there's him

image.jpeg

Who is he?

Edited by Yokozuna

10 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

You must be watching something else! 

It's worse than 5th gear! 

They even look awkward when stood there.....

Mr potato head should stick to being a potato and then there's him

image.jpeg

Who is he?

Nope it's very likeable and reviews also highlight that.

Rory Reid is rubbish and doesn't fit in but the other two are pretty decent and it's work in progress.

Not been a fan since the Clarkson days but watched part of it last night. Enjoyed Sabine's driving of the Golf GTi (306 bhp in a Golf has to be fun) but were the 'supercars' overtaken really going for it? Were they cruising for the sake of the programme?

As for the shed and Volvo shredder, total irrelevance IMO. Might give it another try, might not.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

AnilS likes this

It was a tired format towards the end of the Clarkson era and it's even worse now. I'm not sure there is a place on mainstream TV for a proper car show but that's what top gear needs to be IMO. 

I quite enjoy it as a bit of entertainment.

Some people like Ant & Dec  :lol:

1 hour ago, pidgeonpost said:

Not been a fan since the Clarkson days but watched part of it last night. Enjoyed Sabine's driving of the Golf GTi (306 bhp in a Golf has to be fun) but were the 'supercars' overtaken really going for it? Were they cruising for the sake of the programme?

Those cars were cruising. The camera car was also overtaking them. Having driven that Golf, it is fun, but so is the much cheaper Golf R. And seriously, my previous GTR would have pulled it's trousers down.

Show is fun but I'm not warming to it. Rory is enthusiastic, which I like, but there is a serious lack of chemistry. That said, it's better without Chris Evans.

Edited by AnilS

The show is shite; simple as that!

Won't waste my time watching it again; it would have been better if they'd just left it and not attempted to re-hash it... You can never follow on from Clarkson & Co IMO

As mentioned before, It's a car show and I like car shows. I don't watch TG with the kind of enthusiasm that I used to but unlike the Evans debacle which I turned straight off on the first episode, I'm now catching up when I can.

I have tried to watch the last episode twice now, but kept missing bits.

I also appear to have missed the launch of a new manufacturer.  Matt kept talking about a manufacturer called Feeeeee at, never heard of them before.