daniboy71

Engine noise under load

Any ideas - (2011 520d with 130k)?

When cold, and only when under load (i.e. not when revving in neutral, and only when pulling away) there is a distinct, fast paced clattering/tapping noise from the engine, rising with the revs. It goes away once the engine is warm, but is very noticeable.

Thinking glow plug/injectors - but why would it only happen under load and are there any ways of confirming it without a garage?

Edited by daniboy71
Updating

Is the noise from the rear of the engine?

Put your vin into here to see if it's the N47 engine.

If it's an N47 engine, it might be the dreaded timing chains, engine out job to fix. Not cheap.

Get it checked out.

That could be it - it does have a bit of an exhaust leak sound about it & is a lot louder than I've ever heard from diesel injectors before. I'll see if I can get a look at the manifold.

thx GJJ

Hi @daniboy71 - Did you get this diagnosed/fixed?  I have the exact same issue, happens about 50% of the time from a cold start and an unhealthy knocking noise, again only under load, until warm - then all good.

Any ideas?  I see lots of threads on something like this but no answers! :( 

Thanks in advance....

9 hours ago, Simo_UK said:

Hi @daniboy71 - Did you get this diagnosed/fixed?  I have the exact same issue, happens about 50% of the time from a cold start and an unhealthy knocking noise, again only under load, until warm - then all good.

Any ideas?  I see lots of threads on something like this but no answers! :( 

Thanks in advance....

My 520d auto does something much the same from cold but is perfect when warmed up, hold it on the brake in drive and its quite loud and you can feel the car under load pop it into neutral and the noise goes almost completely. Could be the torque converter or old oil in the gearbox so going to have a transmission service when the car goes for its normal service in a few weeks time and I'll report back.

Edited by Markn47

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, Markn47 said:

My 520d auto does something much the same from cold but is perfect when warmed up, hold it on the brake in drive and its quite loud and you can feel the car under load pop it into neutral and the noise goes almost completely. Could be the torque converter or old oil in the gearbox so going to have a transmission service when the car goes for its normal service in a few weeks time and I'll report back.

Thanks @Markn47

Called a couple of indies that I expected to say "oh that, yeah its the …." but nothing.  Plus trying to get them to diagnose will be a right pain in the ****, they'd have to have it from cold, and only have about 10 mins to find the problem!