d_a_n1979

E46 Touring - thoughts? *scratch that - 530i viewing on Thursday* - 530i bought -

25 posts in this topic

Anyone on here own one, or has owned one?

What are/were your thoughts? Good car to live with etc...?!

One of these is of consideration, I won't look at the saloon as it's too small (too small a boot etc) but the touring would be spot on!

How are they inside compared to the E39, but also, what are they like for room in the front?! At 6ft 4 and officially a 'wide load', fitting in cars, with the size of my back, shoulders, arse and legs.... It can be 'fun' at times! 

Those who who have had both, would you say there's a very noticeable difference between the E46 and E39, or not really?!

Cheers 

**Scratch all that; off to see a 530i on Thursday :) 

Edited by d_a_n1979

We have both. E39 every time over the e46. The e39 is better all round IMO.

Space wise unless you load it to the roof I don't think it's much better than the saloon. I've taken the 46 and an e36 saloon to France and packing was no better in the touring.

Year for year the 5s are better built. Nothing wrong with the e46 just me and it have never got on.

^^

Cheers

Anyone else with any other thoughts?

5 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

We have both. E39 every time over the e46. The e39 is better all round IMO.

Space wise unless you load it to the roof I don't think it's much better than the saloon. I've taken the 46 and an e36 saloon to France and packing was no better in the touring.

Year for year the 5s are better built. Nothing wrong with the e46 just me and it have never got on.

This^^^, I had two e39's, then an e46 touring and couldn't wait to get another e39.  

What was so bad about it; or was it just simply not an E39?!

Just not as well built or as nice to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can buy mine if you like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before i bought my latest 530i Dan i looked at a couple of 330i,s and for me although nice cars they,re just not big enough,

I,m 6ft 2in and around 20stone and i just felt hemmed in compared to either of our 5ers.

To be honest, the one I had was a good car and I couldn't really put my finger on why I couldn't get on with it, as you say it wasn't an e39! As said above it didn't ride quite as well, didn't feel quite as well built, didn't drive as nice, didn't have quite as much space, basically the e39 is a little bit better at a few things over the e46 which adds up to make a big difference. Having had v8 e39's with the recirculating ball steering though I will say the rack pinion steering on the e46 was a lot better. I wouldn't have thought it would be any better than a six cylinder e39 though?

12 minutes ago, 740mick said:

Before i bought my latest 530i Dan i looked at a couple of 330i,s and for me although nice cars they,re just not big enough,

I,m 6ft 2in and around 20stone and i just felt hemmed in compared to either of our 5ers.

That is my concern!

However; there's an E46 325i touring fairly local; so might have a look at it and see how it is for size inside, only way really! 

Just to update this

Had a sit in a local 330D touring this morning. It's out of my budget, plus it's diesel, no use to me as I only do c3k miles a year!

But, very nice car, laid out well inside and not too dissimilar from the E39 I thought... Can understand the build foibles, but didn't think they were distracting... 

Sat on 16" alloys & tyres, they looked lost IMO and it'd need 18" alloys to look right. But overall, a very nice car, so food for thought... Need to see if I can find a 325i or 330i local enough to check out properly! 

I've had an E39 530d touring and an E46 330i sport touring and liked them both. In fact, I kept the '46 for 3 years which is a record me and only sold it because the now ex moaned about me having to do jobs on it now and then. It had done 187,000 miles and still ran great and was a fun car to drive. I never saw why people on here are always saying the build quality is crap, mine felt just as well screwed together as the E39 it replaced. As for space, it depends how much you need. Yes the E39 is quite a bit bigger. I'm pretty average sized so it never felt cramped to me and with the seats down I never really felt I needed anything larger. To summarise, if they had made them in M3 form it would be the perfect car imo.

Just to add, rusty wings and rear arches are a very common E46 issue. I did a very enjoyable thrash down to the Italian side of the matterhorn which was a complete joy. 8b5a65749b1cc8a570ba6c6906e6e6d6.jpg

I have a e39 m5 and just got rid of a 450/6 that I used daily, I bought my old woman a E46 nearly five years ago and apart from one wheelbearing it's been faultless. As both my cars are quit juicy I tend to use her oil burner on longer trips and they have always been very enjoyable drives, i don't find myself missing my E39 at all.

I have an E46 320i Touring as well as an E39 530d Touring. Build quality is the same really, i.e. nothing rattles or feels flimsy and the car feels solid. The E39 has some better quality materials here and there and feels even more solid (if the E46 is a house, the 39 is a bunker)

E46 definitely a bit smaller up front, the boot is also substantially smaller. The E39 standard seats are better than the E46 ones (sports seats definitely a plus on those).

The E46 is lighter and more fun to chuck around corners. It's also simpler in some technical aspects (especially some trouble-prone spots on the E39 like the headlights, air suspension, suspension control arms)

My E39 had significant rust on one door and on the bottom of rear hatch. E46 had it on the rear wheel arches. Brake lines rusted on both. Headlight covers went dull on both (E46 replacement headlights are much cheaper though, unless you want xenons)

In all I'd say it's worth cross shopping both, each has their charm. At the age these cars are getting to be, it's important to drive a few examples though, as the state of maintenance has a big impact on how the car feels to drive. Trim level matters on both cars, the higher end trims have better materials (handbrake and gear levers with a leather grip instead of plastic, plastic or leather lined door pulls etc) and all this will definitely give a more upmarket feel to both cars.

^^

Thanks for that

Not overall interested in boot size, there is only 2 of us currently

Must admit; I prefer the E46 touring looks over the E39 touring; to me, the E39 looks a bit dated

I was set to go and see a nice 325i touring today in South Manchester, alas, it sold last night... :roll: 

The only other one available now, that's of interest and looks to be well looked after is over in Nottingham...! 

However, come across a few nice 530i and 525i saloons today on my searching, so one of those could be worth looking for... All a trek across/down the country though, so lots of questions being asked and extra pics being requested etc...

Trains booked to go and see a black 530i on Thursday

Spoke to the seller, already connected to him on LinkedIn haha... Small world!

Car looks to be solid with a great service history and solid MOTs to back this up. A bit of rust on the rear panel below the boot lid (usual places), a spot on one of the sills and a scuff to the rear bumper, but all easily repairable etc...

Interior looks very good, drivers seat is discoloured(cream leather interior), so that'd need a good scrub and clean, again, can soon be sorted. Rest of the car looks spot on and bang on price-wise IMO as well

Will report back on Thursday, hopefully with good news! 

Fingers crossed for you Dan.

d_a_n1979 likes this

11 hours ago, Nomis said:

Good luck. Where is it?

Cheers

Down near to Oxford... Train lands just after 2pm tomorrow; so will update thereafter

Nomis and pidgeonpost like this

If your interested I could sell my e46 330i touring. I bought it because I thought I would be buying a house soon and could do with the boot space, while still being a nice car to drive daily. 

But doesn't seem I will be buying a house anytime soon. If your interested please PM me. 

^^

Thanks, but as above I'm off to see (and hopefully buy) a very nice 530i tomorrow

Plus I'm only after an auto, can't be arsed with manual for my daily car

Back home; 4 hour drive from High Wycombe thanks to the crappy M42 being chokka and the bloody 50mph zones on the M6 just after the Toll...

Car drove superbly on the way home

Needs body work; found stuff that wasn't mentioned, so got a fair whack knocked off the price

I'll take it to my pals bodyshop tomorrow and see what he says, IMO it'll be a £500 job easy enough!

Will sort pics and info out sometime over the weekend!

Car all sorted; lovely to be back in a 530i!!! Knew I shouldn't have sold my Slate Green one :lol::roll::oops: 

NWJW, AnilS, 740mick and 1 other like this