cubbyq

What are you listening to?

65 posts in this topic

I was thinking of posting a thread like this a while ago but forgot about it - glad someone has done it! It's good to share music. I've found many other artists this way through forums.

I heard/watched this for the first time about a month ago and I keep finding myself going back to it. It certainly tugs at the heart strings a bit.

And Within Temptation who I've been a fan of for years but have never seen. I'd pay a lot of money to see these guys play live like this. This is a full concert below but the video introduction is quite long so this should start 5 minutes in. Any rock/metal band that can perform a live concert with nothing pre recorded, a choir and an orchestra behind them will never cease to amaze me. If you're just flicking through the concert some of the best performances are Fire and Ice at 21:09 and Our Solemn Hour at 25:20 but if you like them I'd recommend the whole concert!

I'm off to listen to whatever remains of the Stranglers on Tuesday.

LS50s are great speakers! They were on my shortlist a few years ago, but went for something else, now sold...

Picked up Faith No More's 'Album of the Year' on vinyl a few weeks ago, but not had a chance to play it yet.

Most of this weekend spent with Radio 6 on, as most weekends when we're home actually; great mix of music, and Cerys Mathews' voice suits a lazy Sunday perfectly :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, cubbyq said:

LS50s are great speakers! They were on my shortlist a few years ago, but went for something else, now sold...

Picked up Faith No More's 'Album of the Year' on vinyl a few weeks ago, but not had a chance to play it yet.

Most of this weekend spent with Radio 6 on, as most weekends when we're home actually; great mix of music, and Cerys Mathews' voice suits a lazy Sunday perfectly :rolleyes:

I've gone through all sorts over the last few years; kept coming back to the LS50's though! Really tempted with their active versions now TBH, so may get a set on home demo and see how they go!

I've tried them with loads of different amps from my ever-stead Arcam Alpha 6 (which they sound sublime with), to the Arcam A49, an SMSL t-amp (sound great too), to a few of the NAD powerhouses, but still come back to the Cyrus 8DAC as it just seems to gel so well with them!

I have just bought a set of ADAM A7X actives via hifiwigwam; absolutely stunning, but they're not perfect and are showing a crack or 2 in their armament, so to speak... Will have to seriously consider what to do with them! Had some Jethro Tull through them this morning; good, but not good enough! Just blasting some of my old Hed Kandi albums through them now and they're showing they do dance/house music VERY well indeed; but for me, their ribbon tweeter isn't as good as I'd hoped with vocals!

An Arcam A49...?!:o

Eek.

The most I can hope to aspire to is a Musical Fidelity M6Si. My B&W Matrix 802s are pretty inefficient so need a lot of drive; the current pair of Arcam Alpha 9s just don't cut it.

51 minutes ago, e60neindanke said:

An Arcam A49...?!:o

Eek.

The most I can hope to aspire to is a Musical Fidelity M6Si. My B&W Matrix 802s are pretty inefficient so need a lot of drive; the current pair of Arcam Alpha 9s just don't cut it.

Yeah; the Alpha 9s (as good as they are) will never drive the 802s as well as they deserve

Now an Alpha 10 and a few Arcam monoblocks would have done a great job :D 

I still have my Alpha 9 integrated; won't sell that or my Alpha 6, or my trusty NAD C320BEE... 

The A49 was a superb amp; but couldn't justify having c£3.5k sat in my dining room driving Neat Motive 2s (speakers I had at that time as well as my LS50s). It soon sold though and I got back what I paid for it! Stonking effortless power though, but it should be like that seeing it's the size of a house!

I've one of these on it's way to me at the end of this week: http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-28993-nad-c388-gra.aspx - it could be a contender for me to finally sell the Cyrus 8DAC! I demod their M32 digital amp last week... Wow! But at £3.5k, it would have been as mad as the A49 really... 

29 minutes ago, Too late said:

Those SMSL T amps are truly stunning for the money . A friend bought one off me . Runs a nice Marantz K CD player through it into some MAD speakers I also sold him.

the system just "works" 

Yup! Superb little things...

I've currently got a Muse M50 running Monitor Audio Silver 1s as my desktop system; it drives them really well and fairly effortlessly; don't need to be run loud seeing as it's a near-field system!

On 19/03/2017 at 7:45 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

Cyrus 8DAC & KEF LS50

Its amazing how you cant justify spending £75 on proper MTec angel eye LED's :)

6 minutes ago, ellis23 said:

Its amazing how you cant justify spending £75 on proper MTec angel eye LED's :)

Haha... Other priorities :P

Plus, I genuinely don't think they're all that, more so for £75! 

ellis23 likes this

I did actually think about modding my Alpha 9s to run in "bridge" mode - it'd be a trivial thing to do... 

9 hours ago, e60neindanke said:

I did actually think about modding my Alpha 9s to run in "bridge" mode - it'd be a trivial thing to do... 

It's just an internal switch to flick, isn't it?!

On 19 March 2017 at 10:01 PM, Too late said:

Heard they are touring.  radio 6 music  had a great interview a month or two ago with Burnel . I am truly jealous !

The drummer stepped back a few years ago and Hugh Cornwell went his own way years before but I'll let you know how it goes. Then it's off to see Paul Weller in a couple of months.

Really enjoying ZHU - Generationwhy currently; again, sounds great through the ADAM A7Xs; seems these speakers just like to be pushed hard to sound their best... Not ideal, so back to the drawing board with them!

Broadband has been down here today with VM doing some local work and replacing the main boxes around the corner from where we live; have had time to sit and enjoy some music and remembered the haunting song from Spectre; where he's at the funeral towards the beginning of the film; it's sung by Andreas Scholl

Needs to be played loud as it's not great quality, even the iTunes version isn't superb; but it's haunting through the LS50s

2 hours ago, sharkfan said:

The drummer stepped back a few years ago and Hugh Cornwell went his own way years before but I'll let you know how it goes. Then it's off to see Paul Weller in a couple of months.

II saw them a fairly recently with their newest line-up and they were great.  I liked the new front man, Jet Black was too ill and old to play.  Seeing Weller too in April oddly enough !

Well they were bloody good. As you say the front man is likeable, nailed every note perfectly on lead guitar and save for trying to make the lyrics of Strange Little Girl a little bit more 'his' did the job superbly. JJB's bass rif to Nice and Sleazy rocked the house and despite one weird singing departure the keyboards guy gave the Stranglers their distinctive sound. They opened with a few B sides, started the A's with Nice and Sleazy and closed the encore No More Heroes, still an epic track and perhaps more relevant than ever. 

My Weller gig is April too.

On 21/03/2017 at 8:03 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

It's just an internal switch to flick, isn't it?!

The switch in the 9 disconnects the power amp from the pre-amp. I should have been more specific - the two lumps I have are 9Ps and as far as I can tell, a U-link outside makes them a dual mono amp, not a bridged amp.

9 minutes ago, e60neindanke said:

The switch in the 9 disconnects the power amp from the pre-amp. I should have been more specific - the two lumps I have are 9Ps and as far as I can tell, a U-link outside makes them a dual mono amp, not a bridged amp.

I think you might be right!

My uncle had a similar set up but with the Alpha 10Ps using the Arcam Alpha 10 integrated he had with the DAVE installed, but as the pre-amp

They were running some KEF speakers IIRC and then he bought some B&W 605 S2's in a 2.2 system... 8)  Even though they had active subs; he still sat them with partnering PMC subs (he played a lot of games etc) and it was a brilliant system... A bit too bass-loving even for me, but still bloody brilliant!

Anyways... On todays menu

I've been playing:

Beastie Boys - The In Sound from Way Out ;) 

Colter Wall - Imaginary Appalachia

Caribou - Our Love

We Were Soldiers soundtrack

Keeno - Futurist

Had these on both my Adam A7Xs and my Cyrus/KEF system... It's made me decide to sell the A7Xs on; they're not for me

But, I've pulled my NAD C320BEE amp out alongside my very first speakers I ever bought back in 1996, Acoustic Energy AE109s and they're now sat in my office, behind me, playing slow & low and sound frikkin awesome :D 

KEF are playing their LS50 wireless speakers at Metropolis Studios in Chiswick this weekend for The Headroom Show B)

IMG_5272.JPG

d_a_n1979 likes this

42 minutes ago, cubbyq said:

KEF are playing their LS50 wireless speakers at Metropolis Studios in Chiswick this weekend for The Headroom Show B)

IMG_5272.JPG

I've sold my ADAM A7Xs and got exactly back what I paid for them; so will be ordering the LS50 wireless (gloss black/blue drivers) next week and will drive up to Peter Tyson's to collect them :D 

12 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I've sold my ADAM A7Xs and got exactly back what I paid for them; so will be ordering the LS50 wireless (gloss black/blue drivers) next week and will drive up to Peter Tyson's to collect them :D 

From what I've just heard with them giving it the beans with Leftfield and System Of A Down filling that studio, you'll be pretty chuffed with them!

I've heard them on demo before; but never in my own house! Thoroughly enjoyed them

Already have the LS50 passive speakers; but the wireless ones will give me some clutterless living etc

I've got a 3-month return deal with the seller; I'll know within a week whether I'm keeping them! Selling the Cyrus 8DAC will give me evens on the money spent, but I'll keep the LS50s just in case I start faffing with another system... Thgey may live on my desk for the time being!

What a great near-field system that'll be 8) 

cubbyq likes this