535i Andrew

Michelin Primacy HP ZP tyres

65 posts in this topic

Yes, me too. I think you had the HP's before, so, really interested to see how you find them. Due to the way I drive my car (Miss Daisy), the main thing I am looking for is reduced road noise. This is my first F11, so, my Pirelli P7's seem ok, but I have no benchmark, it might be they are best in class, but I just don't know and there is no point in group test reviews as they never test RF's on a BMW.

Will do guys. Need to get them fitted to my newly refurbed rims and then swap them for the winters.

Yes Primacy HP removed and replaced with Primacy 3.

According to Michelin, the HP is an older design of tyre and reading between the lines, it will be dropped now that the '3' is available.

I figured if Michelin primacy HP were fitted from new, I won't go wrong with Primacy 3.

On 03/03/2017 at 9:05 PM, Hogie said:

I have HP Primacy on my toyota for 4 year, 4-5 mm left as I don't do much mileage and every side wall has major cracks . 

This is a common issue with these

Tyres I've had the same issues in the 

Past with Primacy tyres.

Edited by Carl-e34

The ones I took off were not cracked for tyres dated 47/11.

My rear tyres are Nexen 8000 and at 2.5 years old they are cracked.

I actually can't remember what brand my tyres are. Pretty sure they're Perilli, but I'll check tomorrow. 😂

When I bought the car I changed all 4 tyres and used Tyres on the Drive. Good prices!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

My glamorous assistant advises that there are now two huge tyres taking up space in her hallway! Delivery from love tyres has landed.

6 hours ago, 535iAR said:

My glamorous assistant advises that there are now two huge tyres taking up space in her hallway! Delivery from love tyres has landed.

Michelin Primacy 3 245/40 R19 98Y XL *

DSCN3612.jpg

DSCN3614.jpg

DSCN3617.jpg

On 3/9/2017 at 7:23 PM, nashdm2 said:

how good is the rim protection please, ie, is it substantial? A picture would be really nice please!! Thanks, ?.

Rim protector 

DSCN3616.jpg

Looks comparable with the ones on the Primacy HP tyres. Just need someone to fit them now!

Have you found any difference fitting tyres with a higher load rating than was specified from the factory, i.e. has this impacted upon the ride quality or is the difference fairly negligible using the standard factory pressures?  

Currently looking to replace my rear Primacy HP's with Primacy 3's, however I only seem to be able to get them in 100Y XL spec compared to 96Y which is what the car came with from the factory.  Would be interesting to hear your experience as the Primacy 3's are around £64 cheaper for the pair compared to the superseded HP version.    

In short, no!

The ones I took off were Primacy HP ZP 94Y.

The ones I put on were Primacy 3 98Y.

Basically, Michelin only do that size of rft in 98Y. 

Realoem state 94Y are OEM for my size, which ties in with what you are saying, the rears should be 96Y but Michelin only do them in bigger ratings.

But I don't drive it like I stole it and don't constantly use the car to find the edge of grip in the bends.

They are fine for my needs.  No slight squirreling about which the last ones did but they were quite worn and original to the car.

My rears are rubbish Nexens (cracking at 2.5 years old) which are 100W rated but not rft.  This ties in with the on board handbook telling me that my rear suspension and tyres are uprated because I have towbar option 3AC but the BMW dealer does not confirm this.   And I cannot find any other source to confirm this. 

Thanks for clarifying.  Difficult to know without testing it, how much the load rating actually changes the stiffness characteristics of the tyre and subsequently the ride comfort so it is always useful to hear first-hand experience.

With the issues of cracking on the larger diameter alloys I was initially reluctant to change to Primacy 3’s if it was going to result in an excessively stiff setup and potentially be more susceptible to damage, however doesn’t sound like that is the case. 

Slightly deviating from the original topic but has anyone tried the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 on a 5 series?  Same load rating etc as the Primacy 3, however slightly cheaper alternative.  Noticed some of the F30’s with 19’s are fitted with them.   

15 hours ago, Craig_p said:

Slightly deviating from the original topic but has anyone tried the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 on a 5 series?  Same load rating etc as the Primacy 3, however slightly cheaper alternative.  Noticed some of the F30’s with 19’s are fitted with them.   

I think these might be the ones @Lennox has.  He rates them highly.

When I looked, I didn't go for the Goodyears because they had a slightly lower wet brake performance score than the Michelins.  I went on wet braking and noise ratings for my tyres, that's whats important to me.  But that's just my opinion. 

I finally bit the bullet and replaced my tyres with 4 x 19" (M Sport staggered setup) Michelin Primacy 3 ZP (Runflat) and they are brilliant, and cost just short of £800 delivered, which I thought was a reasonable price.

The OE tyres were 19" Bridgestone RFTs and they were horrible, it felt like I had wooden cart wheels on and there was quite a lot of vibration above 70mph, I was dreading taking the 18" Pirelli winters off because they were so much more comfortable, even though the handling was a bit squidgy. The new Michelins however are a revelation, comfort is on a par the 18" winters, which I'm very happy about, and handling / directional stability are spot on. 

For anyone looking for new RFT tyres I can highly recommend Michelin Primacy 3 ZP :D

535i Andrew likes this

On 18/06/2017 at 1:52 AM, IanS100 said:

I finally bit the bullet and replaced my tyres with 4 x 19" (M Sport staggered setup) Michelin Primacy 3 ZP (Runflat) and they are brilliant, and cost just short of £800 delivered, which I thought was a reasonable price.

The OE tyres were 19" Bridgestone RFTs and they were horrible, it felt like I had wooden cart wheels on and there was quite a lot of vibration above 70mph, I was dreading taking the 18" Pirelli winters off because they were so much more comfortable, even though the handling was a bit squidgy. The new Michelins however are a revelation, comfort is on a par the 18" winters, which I'm very happy about, and handling / directional stability are spot on. 

For anyone looking for new RFT tyres I can highly recommend Michelin Primacy 3 ZP :D

Thanks for the update, I'm planning the same and that's a great price (!). Where did you source from, if you don't mind me asking?

7 hours ago, marcuslee2032 said:

Thanks for the update, I'm planning the same and that's a great price (!). Where did you source from, if you don't mind me asking?

Camskill of Whitehaven 

Edited by IanS100