535iAR

Michelin Primacy HP ZP tyres

57 posts in this topic

I'm after two new front tyres 245/40 R19.

The ones that were fitted were Michelin Primacy HP ZP, I only ever drove my car on these when they were quite worn, hence why they are now scrapped.

Anyone got experience of driving their F10 on these tyres. I would welcome some thoughts on them.

These were the original tyres fitted by BMW when the car was new. If they were good enough for BMW to fit new, they must be worth reconsidering, is the way I look at it......

Thanks

Mine were yes, but still deciding on what way to go.

Interested to see what folk think of the French black circles.

I have HP Primacy on my toyota for 4 year, 4-5 mm left as I don't do much mileage and every side wall has major cracks . 

Edited by Hogie
Carl-e34 likes this

I had Michelin Primacy on my old GT for two years, very good tyres in my opinion and BMW star marked.

535iAR likes this

I have been looking for a Michelin RF for my next tyre but I cannot find one in my size (245/45/18 96Y)

I have found a Michelin HP ZP but not in my size. The only ZP I can find is Primacy 3 ZP 245/45/18 100Y with a BMW * rating on it. 

Anybody have any feedback on this tyre? (sorry for hijacking the thread Andrew)

Edited by nashdm2
535iAR likes this

18 hours ago, Hogie said:

I have HP Primacy on my toyota for 4 year, 4-5 mm left as I don't do much mileage and every side wall has major cracks . 

You know the tyre fitter who was refitting my Nexens on to my refurbed rear rims this morning said cracking can be due to lack of use. My Nexens are only 3 years old now and are cracking. I put that down to it being a budget tyre. They were cracked last year at two years old. Still reasonable tread left though.

15 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

I have been looking for a Michelin RF for my next tyre but I cannot find one in my size (245/45/18 96Y)

I have found a Michelin HP ZP but not in my size. The only ZP I can find is Primacy 3 ZP 245/45/18 100Y with a BMW * rating on it. 

Anybody have any feedback on this tyre? (sorry for hijacking the thread Andrew)

Not at all, I'm looking for thoughts on a particular Michelin but any other Micheln experience is welcome.

My dad used to swear by Michelins, but I've not owned a car with them fitted since my Senator, 13 years ago!

Thanks Andrew. I have the Pirelli's on from the factory. I have always used Conti's when I have replaced tyres. BUT, I fancy the Michelins for my next choice.

The ONLY thing I am concerned with is the fact the BMW's are SO fussy with their tyres, tram lining etc, so, am very nervous on putting 4 x £200 michelins on when I could just put the same on again for 4 x £160, but, i fancy the change to try and see if I can get a better ride and quieter noise, all within the RF spectrum. However, I have written to Michelin to check the Primacy 3's have rim protection, otherwise its a "no deal".

Hope that makes sense.

535iAR likes this

One of the many tyre comparison site allows you to tick options such as rim protection either black circles or mytyres.

Having the rim protectors on the Michelins I took off made the tyre look very stretched as the sidewall came out Along way to protect the rim.  Having just had my rims refurbed and powder coated I'm keen to preserve them so rim protectors are a big + for me, which the French circles have, and they are BMW fitment...... If it's good enough for BMW then it's good enough for me.

15 hours ago, 535iAR said:

You know the tyre fitter who was refitting my Nexens on to my refurbed rear rims this morning said cracking can be due to lack of use. My Nexens are only 3 years old now and are cracking. I put that down to it being a budget tyre. They were cracked last year at two years old. Still reasonable tread left though.

You would expect a bit better though from what's considered by many to be the best brand of tyre.

I'm not using the car at all at the moment but the cracks are so bad I'll be putting new tyres on straight away once I do press it back into action 

Whenever I search for my tyres on any tyre website, never has a michelin appeared on the search output. But, I know that the Primacy 3 ZP will fit, but, its a 100Y and not a 96Y, which will be fine.

Dunlop Sport Maxx showing as Rim Protected on Black Circles but not the Michelins. I've got the Dunlops on mine from factory and considering they're now into their 23000th mile I'll probably just get them again.

I went with Michelin on my previous 5 (same dimensions) and was very pleased with them, although I do recall thinking they were perhaps a bit louder but not dramatically so.

Whenever I search for my tyres on any tyre website, never has a michelin appeared on the search output. But, I know that the Primacy 3 ZP will fit, but, its a 100Y and not a 96Y, which will be fine.

FWIW, 5 different Michelins came up on my search - 2 of which BMW star marked (1 XL and 1 RFT)

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 09.37.35.png

Edited by jannism
535iAR likes this

Thanks for the pics above, that's from Blackcircles above isn't?  Interesting that these isn't much between those two regarding noise or wet braking which are the two main areas of importance to me in a tyre.

I'll have a look at the rim protector thing, that might have been mytyres site that gave you that option.  

They aren't bad prices for the rears, fronts are coming in at ~£40 less IIRC

Yes, Blackcircles, these are the fronts from the same search (somehow managed to not upload the pic despite editing the post about 3 times).

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 09.49.42.png

535iAR likes this

Walked past a Merc at lunchtime with Michelin 245/40R19 Primacy 3 ZP they were marked with MOL I think which is the Merc rft fitment.  Certainly had the tpms valves that I've seen on BMWs.  Tyre also appeared to have a rim protector but didn't look as proud as on my Michelins but its a slightly different tyre and possibly on a 8J rim rather than a 8.5J rims which makes it looked a bit stretched.

So whats the difference between Primacy 3 and Primacy HP then?

Edited by 535iAR

Thanks for that.

We posted at the same time, I'm looking at just getting the tyre and paying the guy who just refurbed my rims to fit them as I know he will be careful, unlike the mechanic I used to take the old Michelins off the rims.  There is good difference between supply only v fully fitted price.

Seems it's just evolution re the Michelins...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Primacy-3-Launched.htm

Yeah, thankfully my local guy is a bit cheaper, too. Also, as per @nashdm2's comment about not having any Michelins show up in search, it's clear that geography plays a pretty substantial part in what you can get and how much you'll have to pay.

535iAR likes this

Thanks so, Primacy 3 replaces Primacy HP according to your link yet your Blackcircles pics show HP are still available.  Hmm new old stock perhaps?

Thanks will have a look at the manufacturers site.

So I've just been chatting on line to a helpful chap at the Michelin website. He explains that the Primacy HP tyre is still available but the Primacy 3 tyre is a newer tyre. Their recommendations is to go for the Primacy 3 if I went down the road of Michelins for my car.

Looking at the info on the Michelin web site The primacy 3 tyre has better fuel performance better wet braking and lower noise than the older Primacy HP tyre.

On 4 March 2017 at 7:08 PM, nashdm2 said:

I have written to Michelin to check the Primacy 3's have rim protection, otherwise its a "no deal".

Michelin confirmed to me via online chat that Primacy 3 do have rim protectors but mytyres site does not confirm this.

My Primacy HP had rim protectors and with newly refurbished rims....I would like rim protectors.

Goodyear Eagle Asymetric 3 tyres have rim protectors, but they  don't quite have the same wet braking performance but are quieter and cheaper than the Michelins.

Why are tyre choices never easy?

Yes, Michelin wrote back to me and said they do have rim protection also. I might pop down to our local stockist and have a look. I still don't get why tyre sites do not list it as appropriate to my car on the search output.