Mazi

Im SHAFTED big time

34 posts in this topic

I bought a Toyota GT86 a few months ago for what I thought was cheap. Anyway it had an oil leak,

Took it to my local dealer as it was still under Toyotas 5 year warranty.

Toyota told that the car has had a short block and almost a new engine from another dealer down south about a year ago and 

the car has a hole in the rocker cover and would be covered under warranty and they will not know until the rocker cover is removed what damage 

has been sustained inside the engine causing something to burst through the rocker cover.

Almost a week passed......................................................................

The service manager called my to tell me some bad news. The engine was replaced/rebuilt by Toyota about a year ago and the engine sitting 

in my car is not that engine!!!

Someone has taken out that engine and put in a another from a salvage car and as a result would not be covered under warranty.

My car is now sitting with engine out and in bits and they will be expecting payment for the work they have done stripping it. 

Should the not have checked the numbers on the engine before going this far??

My car drove into the dealership and now I am sitting with a car in bits and a bill.??

What are my rights and where do I stand

When you purchased the car, did the V5 engine number and the car match up?

Also are Toyota saying the engine in the car doesn't currently match the one originally supplied or the replacement? It could be as simple as them comparing the current engine # with the original supplied and not the replacement # hence showing a discrepancy. 

Do they know what car the engine came from? You may find that the engine (even though from a salvage car) is still under 5yrs and should therefore still be covered?

Wouldn't say your shafted, just need to get to the bottom of a few more facts and find a way. Are you still able to contact the seller?

If you bought it privately then the onus would have been on you to check the vin and engine numbers all match the v5. Playing advocate here, but why would Toyota need to check the numbers before they started working on what is still a relatively new car which should still have the original engine.........

sounds like a nightmare scenario 

9 minutes ago, sanjx said:

When you purchased the car, did the V5 engine number and the car match up?

Also are Toyota saying the engine in the car doesn't currently match the one originally supplied or the replacement? It could be as simple as them comparing the current engine # with the original supplied and not the replacement # hence showing a discrepancy. 

Do they know what car the engine came from? You may find that the engine (even though from a salvage car) is still under 5yrs and should therefore still be covered?

Wouldn't say your shafted, just need to get to the bottom of a few more facts and find a way. Are you still able to contact the seller?

I checked the VIN and not the engine number. How many people do?? 

Toyota service manager said the engine needed to come out to check the numbers??? But why have they stripped it to bits?

It is not a mix up with numbers from replacement engine as I have already suggested that to them.

10 minutes ago, GStarrr said:

If you bought it privately then the onus would have been on you to check the vin and engine numbers all match the v5. Playing advocate here, but why would Toyota need to check the numbers before they started working on what is still a relatively new car which should still have the original engine.........

sounds like a nightmare scenario 

I agree with your view. Who could have forseen this. 

I am still in deep shit though. I drove a car into the dealer and now its in bits with a big bill.

I would have thought they would do their due diligence by checking VIN numbers and Engine numbers before proceeding with warranty work 

especially large value stuff like engines.

Can't blame the dealer really, you appoint them to do work and carry a proportion of the risk. You'll be able to negotiate it down abit. I would speak to Toyota HQ and see what they can do. The model of car isn't that old and the current engine may well be under warranty all be it under a different reg so may well be covered in any case. 

TBF I don't check engine numbers either but then I buy main dealer so less onus on me to check. Do still try contacting the seller, they maybe able to shed some light 

do they know what caused the damage to the cam/rocker cover? 

as its from a salvage car possibly just crash damage and not an escaping component given you said it drove in?

as for it being in bits, I'd imagine a fair bit needs to come off to remove it from the engine bay as much of the ancillaries sit straight on top of these boxer engines, though they are nice compact assemblies and most of it is particularly accessible, think yourself lucky there isn't a turbo or two in there complicating things :D

that said, as its sat so low in the engine bay, it has to come out to do the cam covers I think, top of the front tyres is higher than the top of the engine block.

47 minutes ago, sanjx said:

Can't blame the dealer really, you appoint them to do work and carry a proportion of the risk. You'll be able to negotiate it down abit. I would speak to Toyota HQ and see what they can do. The model of car isn't that old and the current engine may well be under warranty all be it under a different reg so may well be covered in any case. 

TBF I don't check engine numbers either but then I buy main dealer so less onus on me to check. Do still try contacting the seller, they maybe able to shed some light 

I am not blaming the dealer. I am pushed into a corner here.

The car drove into the dealer. (It wont dive out even if they put it back together)

I just feel they should have checked VIN/Engine numbers before 

dismantling the engine into pieces. 

Agree, that a phone call from dealer warning of need to dismantle engine was missed out, particularly as it drove in - seems to me they dived in a touch early and overlooked a call to the customer, horrific mess now.

Tottally down to the op, it's not the dealers fault you asked them to work on a potential ringer. You will have to pay up then sue the person you bought it from. I would suggest you contact the police as well the engine may be from a stolen vehicle so you need to protect yourself from the charge of receiving stolen goods. Sorry if that seems harsh but that's the reality of the risk you might face.

Simple question. Did you authorise them to take it to bits? From what I can see, you only authorised them to remove the rocker cover to inspect for damage. If that is the case, the can put it back together again at their own cost. If that's what you want.

4 minutes ago, alpinaman said:

Engine has to be removed to remove cam cover

Are you sure. Can it not be removed from underneath? I am almost certain it can but I am not a mechanic.

IMHO, it should have been explained to OP that engine removal was required and that costs would reflect this. I'm not clear how he can be charged for work he did not authorise. Of course, the garage has possession of the car. And if the engine is stuffed, it had to come out anyway. But deal or no deal, I don't imagine the dealer will be happy to fit anything other than a new engine    

They have offered to fit a used engine supplied by myself which is a bit unusual to say the least for a main dealer.

9 hours ago, whiskychaser said:

IMHO, it should have been explained to OP that engine removal was required and that costs would reflect this. I'm not clear how he can be charged for work he did not authorise. Of course, the garage has possession of the car. And if the engine is stuffed, it had to come out anyway. But deal or no deal, I don't imagine the dealer will be happy to fit anything other than a new engine    

Are they supposed to use magic to know what's wrong? 

Remember.. this is a new car with a major fault... 

The main dealer aren't to know it's dodgy history... I dare say they went ahead with work under toyotas authority until they found that something dodgy had gone on with the car..

Then stopped and informed the customer..

7 hours ago, Mazi said:

They have offered to fit a used engine supplied by myself which is a bit unusual to say the least for a main dealer.

Sounds like that's the cheapest option for you and they are trying to help you out and get you out of a corner ..

How much is the estimated labour costs of the complete job? 

"Due diligence" by the dealer seems to be the phrase of the day.If the engine number was that imortant to the dealer AFTER they'd taken it apart,surely that would have been the very first thing they should have checked to ascertain the fitted engine was the one that should have been there.I would labour that point to the dealer,and,if they're offering to fit a used engine that you supply,something perhaps that they'd never normally do,that sounds a little fishy to me!.Good luck with it,and as has been said,remind them that unless you'd given theM Carte blanche to do whatever they thought was needed,they should have informed you what they were doing BEFORE doing it.

SuperDave likes this

My only experience with main dealers is they do as they please when it involves paying out and there is wiggle room, I remember having a massive row with Bristol street Ford because I took a faulty stat in to them, they refused to refund me as I needed to take the car in with the stat still installed, they said it was in there terms and conditions on the invoice so I shown them that it clearly wasn't on the invoice, he then said I needed to go online and read the terms and conditions before buying stuff from the parts counter, I asked him to show me where it was on their website and he couldn't even find it :lol: in the end the service manager just refused to do anything, I left the stat there as it was useless and never got my money back either, apart from hitting the fella which I felt would of been justified, I had nothing else I could do, I also spoke to citizens advice and that was a lengthy process so didn't bother with that either :(

3 hours ago, Too late said:

Not been smart, but i always check the engine number . It takes a few mins to google the location etc . 

I feel sorry for you .

I never have done this in my lifetime of buying cars, but it's an eye opener and I hope you get it sorted.

Apt name though...^^

I never have done this in my lifetime of buying cars, but it's an eye opener and I hope you get it sorted.

Apt name though...^^

Nope 25 years and never checked an engine number either

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I feel sorry for the OP 

He probably gave the ok on the assumption it was all under warranty.

This may boil down to a case of the interpretation of who said what and unfortunately the dealer seemingly is holding all the cards right now.

A couple of things to check - ask Toyota Warranty a direct question - what due diligence process a dealer should follow re warranty claims.

If the very first thing they are supposed to do is verify the providence of the vehicle they are working on and they did not, then the OP may well be able to at least get the vehicle reassembled at the dealers cost.

I am curious what the V5 says in relation to the actual engine number in the car if it does not match up then his insurance could well be invalid until corrected.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate

Their is clearly a sticker with the number on the front of the engine but I can't work out where the actual stamping is from these pics

https://www.jspecauto.com/engine_details/2817

Are the engines in these cars a bit fragile then?

This car is what, 5 years old, and potentially heading for its 4th one .......... eeek!

Edited by Alexak
typo