Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Piper

Connecting to Virgin Media broadband with USB wifi connector

4 posts in this topic

All my devices connect to the new Virgin cable broadband i have now got (it pisses on everything else for speed by the way), except for the ones that have a USB wifi ariel/stick, namely my PC and ZGemma box

Any know why that would be the case?

Which Superhub do you have? 

some of the newer ones have 2 frequency bands (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz).

On looking for wifi services to connect to they should look like - VMxxxxxx - 2G or VMxxxxxx - 5G. 

do you see both of those? 

some older devices won't connect to the 5G band, as they're not equipped to deal with it, and you may need to enable the settings in your VM superhub. Out of the ox they should be enabled, unless you had the VM engineer set it up, in which case they might have been presumptuous and only enabled 5G. 

Deepan.

Piper likes this

I have had issues in the past with some devices not being able to deal with the encryption being set to 'WPA Auto'. This includes my Windows 10 Surface Pro 4. I changed the encryption on the router to 'WPA2-PSK [AES]' to solve the problem. You might want to try that. You can do so by logging onto the router, selecting 'Advanced Settings' and then going into the '2.4 GHz Primary' and '5GHz Primary' sections to update the 'Security Mode' settings.

NuckingFuts and Piper like this

On 01/03/2017 at 6:55 PM, Piper said:

All my devices connect to the new Virgin cable broadband i have now got (it pisses on everything else for speed by the way), except for the ones that have a USB wifi ariel/stick, namely my PC and ZGemma box

Any know why that would be the case?

The USB WiFi drive may not be capable of running at your broadband speed, typically you can find older WiFi sticks (and older ethernet ports) to be limited to 100Mb/s. 

NuckingFuts and Piper like this