Phil2k

Dpf, still there or not?

17 posts in this topic

Can anyone who has had their dpf removed, drilled or gutted, tell me what readings they get on a back pressure test in DIS. I appear to get 0 m/b for all tests which leads me to think it has been gutted. The actual shell of the dpf is there but not sure about inside. It doesn't throw any error codes in dis either, but I would like to be certain. I don't get any smoke on acceleration either which I assumed I would if the dpf was removed, but the inside of the tailpipe is black

Can't tell you what the pressure reading would be, but i can tell you your car does smoke, you just can't see it as it's hardly noticeable. Of course the tailpipe will blacken and once it gets a good coating depending how you drive, a good layer of it will come off if you give it a good bootfull.

Have you had yours remapped?

I don't know if its remapped, I only found out about the dpf issue after a friend told me to check it on DIS just to be safe, if the dpf has been removed and its not giving any codes I assume it's been mapped out. If that were the case I would assume a remap had been done too. The only real way to find out would be to read the ECU and compare it against a standard ECU

A good DPF gives something in the region of 8mbar at idle. You will see the backpressure climbing as the rpm increases.

Exhaust pipe is the easiest method. With a DPF it will be pristine inside if you finger it (bar any corrosion).

OK. Seems like it has been done then, exhaust pipe is black inside, I can hear the turbo and even some wastegate flutter at low revs, the previous owner said he was the 3rd owner and the car had been in the family since new,  but he didn't know anything about this being done. I think someone was telling me lies

If someone is telling lies, it's a pretty good one. They are nothing but trouble.

There is a risk it could be identified on an MOT but at this time, I have not seen any reports that gutted DPF's have failed an MOT.

Sorry I ment telling lies about it being in the family since new. I have friends with garages who will turn a blind eye to things like that 

My old Audi A3 2.0 TDI sailed through all emission tests at multiple garages with no cat or dpf. Nothing to worry about on a diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you got a 525d and you can hear the turbo whistling at very low revs you *may* have a problem .... 525d only has one turbo.

It is my understanding that you should be able to hear the 535's if dpf and cat are removed at low revs ... but not the single turbos.

Could be wrong tho :P

Edited by Wabby

1 hour ago, Wabby said:

If you got a 525d and you can hear the turbo whistling at very low revs you *may* have a problem .... 525d only has one turbo.

It is my understanding that you should be able to hear the 535's if dpf and cat are removed at low revs ... but not the single turbos.

Could be wrong tho :P

Think your right, mine is a 535d and had the whistle and sounded like a jet taking off, was one of the reasons for putting another dpf back on 

Hear a slight howl on my 530d at 1500rpm which disappears as the revs rise and then I hear the crisp whistle of the turbo as the pressure builds...

I think i need to install the new F1 tyres on mine, pulled out of a junction today wasn't much of a gap but certainly enough for mine to get up to the 60 speed limit and beyond before the car was on top of me.. I only gave it half throttle and the sodding traction control light stayed on for ages.

If you push the button just once just quickly, is that snow mode so it allows more spin?

If you push the button just once just quickly, is that snow mode so it allows more spin?

Yep that's the one. Keeps the stability program enabled to keep you in a straight line but allows more spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobby likes this

I just tried once, and it enabled DTC and limits DSC.

I like DTC mode ... Even with very low tread tyres it seems to enhance grip in the bends and on full chat, without slowing me down or cutting power ;)

Edited by Wabby
Westy likes this