boiliebasher

Warning to M60 owners...

19 posts in this topic

Hi all, just wanted to share a small problem I have had recently from some parts......

I have recently just changed my engine mounts on my M60b40 with some brand new, straight from the shop, out of the box, Febi bilstein ones to replace my original ones..... Well what happened next I've never quite seen before, having gone through the not so simple task of removing and replacing the BMW ones, I then had everything in place sitting nicely where it should be on lovely new mounts and this happed:

012.JPG

I thought, well bugger me what just happened there?! Bearing in mind I am using a proper 3/8 torque wrench using specified BMW torque settings. The nut that was being tightened at the time didn't even manage to get to the specified Newton meter setting when........... It just snapped, just like that....... Bollox I thought.......

Time to do the other side..........

006.JPG

Yep you get guessed it............ Other side went as well...........

*(%&&%^%&&% You got to be joking me right?! BOTH sides of the studs snapped BEFORE actually reaching their required torque setting.......

So off to BMW to get some genuine ones this time. Shock horror, NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.......

So lessoned learned here always try to fit OEM as and when possible.......

And most importantly to everyone else on the forum here as a friendly heads up:

DO NOT BUY FEBI BILSTEIN ENGINE MOUNTS FOR YOUR M60!!!

Edited by boiliebasher
Carl-e34 likes this

I would add Meyle water pumps for the M60 as bad news. I know of many going between 700 and 2k miles

The replacement pump my indie fitted on our old 540, lasted 900 miles.

it cost him a replacement radiator ....

He did price the pump as BMW knowing the water pump was not ! So had to bite the bullet

Edited by Carl-e34
boiliebasher likes this

I think Febi Bilstein parts are generally overrated, possibly due to the fact that there's "Bilstein" in the name, which makes you think it's a quality brand.

In reality, Bilstein is obviously a totally separate company and has nothing to do with Febi. I personally had a bad experience with Febi exhaust rubber mounts on my E30. They lasted less than a year (simply split in half, both of them) and that's considering that I do very low mileage, approximately 4-5k per annum.

Since then, I avoid FB whenever I can.

Edited by Blackman
Carl-e34 likes this

5 hours ago, Iain525 said:

Daft question but it's not a different thread is it?

Its all standard metric size thread. The larger size one is standard M10 which is according to BMW is torqued to 47N/M and the smaller one is M8 which goes to 22 N/M respectively. I had the torque wrench set at 40 and 20 and they didn't last that long! Cheap nasty threads! Got the OEM ones and no problems at all!! Just got shafted with lack of quality control and poorly made parts!!

Carl-e34 likes this

After this incident and reading up on the quality of Febi/ Meyle stuff apparently a lot of it now made in China (like everything else lol) and not quite up to the standard is used to be! I'm definitely gong to think twice now about ordering stuff up my E34!

Oh and for everyone's info, when I ordered up the engine mounts for my M60, I got an oil filter at the same time from BMW and the make stamped on it was HENGST. To be precise it was this one: http://www.hengst-katalog.de/en/filter/284130000/02/E202H01%20D34

The code stamped on it was Hengst E202H01 along with BMW 11427510716

Carl-e34 likes this

Febi stuff has been ok in my experience. Never had engine mounts though.

Where did you buy them from? 

33 minutes ago, 540i/6DB said:

Febi stuff has been ok in my experience. Never had engine mounts though.

Where did you buy them from? 

France...... Just brought them back to the motors factors this afternoon and sent back to Febi for analysis..... For me it was pretty clear cut that they used cheap shit monkey metal threads/studs made in china for mounts that are supposedly capable of restraining the torque and weight of a 286hp 4.0 V8 but oh no, it's got to back to Febi which according to the sales representative, could take anytime between a week to two months. :unsure: No one is ever in a hurry out here, so just got to deal with it I suppose........:(

whats the torque setting? Ive also used alot of febi bilstein parts and never had a problem so far

1 minute ago, Bumbaclut said:

whats the torque setting? Ive also used alot of febi bilstein parts and never had a problem so far

Written here:

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:30 PM, boiliebasher said:

Its all standard metric size thread. The larger size one is standard M10 which is according to BMW is torqued to 47N/M and the smaller one is M8 which goes to 22 N/M respectively. I had the torque wrench set at 40 and 20 and they didn't last that long! Cheap nasty threads! Got the OEM ones and no problems at all!! Just got shafted with lack of quality control and poorly made parts!!

Maybe I'm just unlucky?! But seems odd that the febi ones mangled up straight away and the OEM ones where fine...... Look at the thread that snapped on the very first pic. Doesn't look like decent steel for it to end up breaking like that to me? Where it snapped it looked like micro bubbles/fissures or poor casting? Didn't look great either way....:unsure:

Edited by boiliebasher
Carl-e34 likes this

i'm not disbelieving whats happened but i am surpised.  You won't get that sort of stuff happening on main dealer parts

20 minutes ago, Bumbaclut said:

i'm not disbelieving whats happened but i am surpised.  You won't get that sort of stuff happening on main dealer parts

Agreed, I'm as surprised as you, but I've never personally seen a M10 thread break quite as easily as that.....Honestly it was just ridiculous..... When I got the OEM ones, it was obvious that the steal used in the threads was completely and utterly different compared to the febi ones....

Even cheap pattern parts usually perform some sort of function. They just don't last very long!

Manufacturing something so poorly that it breaks when you're fitting it seems somewhat illogical so I can only guess they are part of a poor batch or complete fakes in Febi boxes.

i could suspect fake parts myself, my chain guides on my e36 are febi and 60k later still doing the business. Somethings not right for sure, be interested in knowing the result of this if you get one

20 hours ago, Bumbaclut said:

i could suspect fake parts myself, my chain guides on my e36 are febi and 60k later still doing the business.

That's because they're BMW parts with the logo and part numbers filed off. Febi don't make much (anything?) but are a large distributor of car parts. A lot of Meyle stuff is junk. Hella and Behr aftermarket radiators are useless. If it's made in China, it's generally a load of crap made on the cheap.

Lemforder stuff is okay because they actually make it. As for budget brands, Anschler dampers and Eicher brakes (Both ECP brands) are actually better than you'd think and I've used both with no problems.

urquattro likes this

Well just thought I would update this thread as I got a response from the Motor factors where I bought the duff Febi mounts......

They mounts were sent back to Febi Germany for analysis and............. I got a full refund......... No questions asked.......

I kept asking what exactly Febi had to say when they looked at the defective parts and they guy at the counter had nothing to say other than he was instructed to give me a full refund (in cash no less!!) and that was that, nothing more was said about it. I just would like to have known what Febi had to say about their threads that where made out of fromage and supposedly capable of restraining a 286 HP V8.......... Absolutely no follow up, no response, nothing. I'm sure as hell going to think twice about ordering Febi parts in the future........

The mounts where clearly made from some cheap inferior metal and other than physical size, bore not much resemblance to the genuine bmw ones........ Let that be a warning to some of you out there.......

Carl-e34 likes this