535i Andrew

Energy Providers at it!

33 posts in this topic

I've switched my Energy supplier to one who will cost save me some cash I can put towards some new front tyres.

The old Energy supplier wrote to me today to tell me the switch is complete and how they will settle up etc.

If I have a credit of more than £5 they will refund me.

If I have a credit of less than £5, I then have to contact them to ask for my money back.

I know its a only few quid, but if everyone that switches doesn't contact them, that will add up to a good few quid for them.  

So I'll have my money back as its not like I am going to get anything from them for it and they will be earning interest on my money.

Robbin Bast@rd$

ustbutler likes this

Atleast they'll automatically refund you over a fiver. At our old place we had built up a credit of almost £1000 which we only found out about when we where about to move out. No letters (e-billing) yet they didn't have our email address. It's probably my fault for not bothering to check and just keep paying a fixed amount. Monthly readings now (refuse to have a smart meter till v2 come out)

Jerome likes this

I think all energy suppliers are cnüts tbh. I went down from paying 600 quid a month to just over 200 and now got a letter last week saying it's going up.

£600 a month FFS. You must be growing weed surely?

I saw something on the news last night that the Police had busted a major weed farm in a former nuclear bunker.  We all now know where they were getting their leccy from

9 hours ago, inkiboo said:

£600 per month?!?? How big is your house?

6 bed but I think it's the shed and the tub that's using all the juice.

Yeah, mine is about that now too. 240 I think.

Underfloor heating (electric) in both bathrooms doesn't help either.

I could do with changing to LED but still quite expensive. Upstairs hallway is all halogen spots, so are both bathrooms and the office.

"I could do with changing to LED"

We moved into a place with 15 halogen spots in the kitchen. A couple of them had died and when I checked for replacements they were GU10s at 50 Watts each, so 750 Watts just in one room. Swapped them all for led at around 3 Watts a go.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

ustbutler likes this

Yeah mine are 50w. Them two pin things you twist in.

4 in office, 8 on landing, 4 in bathroom and 7 in the other bathroom… :ph34r:

What LED lamps did you get?

ustbutler likes this

Bought mine from an EBay trader - no record of the seller, sorry, but lots to choose from. Ours have 80 LEDs per bulb but this was 6 years ago and there are better ones now with fewer LEDs. There are a few failed LEDs in a few of ours. I'll be looking for replacements with just 3 or 4 LEDs as and when ours die.

1 hour ago, Raymond said:

Yeah mine are 50w. Them two pin things you twist in.

4 in office, 8 on landing, 4 in bathroom and 7 in the other bathroom… :ph34r:

What LED lamps did you get?

Screwfix is your friend for LED bulbs. If you want middle of the range stuff then it's fine.

What it will cost you to change the halogens to LEDs if the halogens are not blown will take a noticeable length of time to claw back in reduced bills. I.e it costs a small fortune to change 15 bulbs just for the sake of it.

pidgeonpost likes this

I think Aldi are having 1 packs of LED bulbs coming in for £8 - available to order online with free delivery. Plus they are warm white in colour. Worth a punt perhaps?

ustbutler and Raymond like this

Screwfix is your friend for LED bulbs. If you want middle of the range stuff then it's fine.

What it will cost you to change the halogens to LEDs if the halogens are not blown will take a noticeable length of time to claw back in reduced bills. I.e it costs a small fortune to change 15 bulbs just for the sake of it.

Yes, it's a long payback time for sure, though the LED prices for mid range 'bulbs' have come down. In our case we had several dead 50W bulbs so we needed to at least replace those. I was also concerned at the amount of heat the originals pushed out. Think there were a few reports of fires in certain circumstances, but can't remember details.

535i Andrew likes this

I'd agree with just getting lamps from screwfix, they only start getting expensive if you want lamps that can be dimmed, none dimming led's are cheap and cheerful, get warm white too as cool white IMO is more for commercial properties and not suited for most rooms in houses, could work in garage or a room that you need the bright light.

you'd only have fires with halogens if they haven't been installed correctly to BS regs, or have been disturbed from above, but they do run really hot, halogen spot lights consume an enormous amount of energy overall and now led's have become affordable it would be stupid not to swap over, we don't have spots in our house but we run led lamps all through our house, makes a massive difference on usage overall.

ustbutler and 535i Andrew like this

When I changed 11 halogen 50watt spots to LEDs, I noticed squat difference to my bill but what I did notice was my head got cold in the kitchen as there was no heat coming from the halogens to keep my head toasty!

My wife now hates me even more. We have smart meters at home thus we have a wee screen that tells us how many rainforests we are killing with our energy use. Playing with it last night I managed to find the setting that tells you your current usage, which meant me running run the house seeing what things draw what power, much to the annoyance of swmbo.

Having TV on with 10 small halogen bulbs in the living room, over and above the base load (fridge freezer clocks etc) we were only using 350w, which is nothing really. That's less than 2amps.

Save the pennies and that means more pounds towards alloy wheel refurbs!

pidgeonpost likes this

On 24 February 2017 at 6:30 PM, sanjx said:

I think Aldi are having 1 packs of LED bulbs coming in for £8 - available to order online with free delivery. Plus they are warm white in colour. Worth a punt perhaps?

I'll have a look tomorrow. They just opened a new store round the corner from me.

My wife now hates me even more. We have smart meters at home thus we have a wee screen that tells us how many rainforests we are killing with our energy use. Playing with it last night I managed to find the setting that tells you your current usage, which meant me running run the house seeing what things draw what power, much to the annoyance of swmbo.

Having TV on with 10 small halogen bulbs in the living room, over and above the base load (fridge freezer clocks etc) we were only using 350w, which is nothing really. That's less than 2amps.

Save the pennies and that means more pounds towards alloy wheel refurbs!

Yeh, easy to become a bit OCD! I can't get out of the habit of switching lights off whenever I leave a room. Drummed into me as a kid, I still do it automatically and subconsciously irrespective of the fact that I'll be going back into the room minutes or seconds later.

Cooperative Energy are cranking their prices up 7.5% for our tariff. Nice of them.

535i Andrew likes this

12 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

I can't get out of the habit of switching lights off whenever I leave a room. Drummed into me as a kid,

Well it clearly wasn't when my wife was a kid!:angry:

^^^^ lol 

i must admit I'm one of them that turns lights off when leaving rooms but only when I/we have finished in there! 

We have just changed tariffs again and it's something like £80 per month for both gas and lekky! ;) and that's fixed for 24 months! 

Im in a 4 bed with a tub and out buildings