535i Andrew

Controversial 5 Series driver blocks camera van

A police friend put this up and my take on it is to do away with fines, double the points.  If your caught speeding then you pay higher insurance. If you kill a child for speeding where you shouldn't be then you'll pay for it for the rest of your life...I think he should have been done for obstruction myself, but only my opinion...

Yes he should be charged with obstruction but I guess it was because they are manned by 'civvies', what a prick, regardless of my views on the reasoning behind the scamera vans.

^^Buy him a pint? really?

Edited by sshooie

8 minutes ago, sshooie said:

Lots of stories where the police have done wrong, I'm not condoning it so I fail to see your point?

No point really,. just that it might be a bit more controversial than a guy avoiding a obstruction charge while make a point, that's all.

Don;t turn this into a police or camera bashing thread, please! This is about whether this guy was in the wrong or not!

We all have our views on the aforementioned topics, but keep this to what it's asking!

IMO this guys a prick and deserves whatever he gets thrown at him... Get caught speeding, man up and accept the consequences! He clearly doesn't give a shite about speeding or the law... 30 in a 30 and so on...

7 minutes ago, sshooie said:

Lots of things are more controversial, someone blocking a camera is a twat.

Why? 

IMHO -

He had a an issue with that particular van location and took action - If you look at the location it's clear to me that the camera operator has parked off the road to try and maximise the opportunity to capture people speeding, it would have been better to park more visibly in order to act as a deterrent. The camera operator has actually had to cross over the oncoming lane to get up on to the verge... the whole issue of trying to maximise revenue is why people get upset.

Van loc.JPG

4 minutes ago, Seesure said:

Why? 

IMHO -

He had a an issue with that particular van location and took action - If you look at the location it's clear to me that the camera operator has parked off the road to try and maximise the opportunity to capture people speeding, it would have been better to park more visibly in order to act as a deterrent. The camera operator has actually had to cross over the oncoming lane to get up on to the verge... the whole issue of trying to maximise revenue is why people get upset.

Van loc.JPG

I'm the first to admit they look to maximise revenue, I've been caught by a van (bang to rights) and moaned about it at the time.

However someone who does this is more of a prick than they are.

Regarding my comment on more things being controversial, it was aimed at a random poke at the police, I could bring up dozens of other points, but they are moot in relation to this.

Get caught speeding by a copper - fair dos. We've all been done that way and sometimes you can walk away with a slap on the wrist. But there's something so sneaky and underhand about camera vans.

I fail to see what he did wrong.. The guy parked behind a van with his boot open.... It's not as though it was a Police van or anything. Folk park behind my van frequently.

As for those who cry about folk breaking the speed limit killing children... Please! Next time you are on the road, have a look at those driving at ten or twenty mph below the limit for no good reason, eyes glued to the speedo and nothing else... It used to be us old biffers who did that but these days it is the younger generation who are motoring fuckwitts.

4 hours ago, sshooie said:

Regarding my comment on more things being controversial, it was aimed at a random poke at the police, I could bring up dozens of other points, but they are moot in relation to this.

It wasn't a random poke at the police, It was more.... if it's ok for her to get away with murder this week and laugh about it's ok for him to get away with a bit of obstruction to prove a point.

If you think those mobile speed vans have anything to do with safety and nothing to do with another parenthetic stealth tax you are deluded to an extent I'm not going to try and educate you.

This guy got done for speeding, regardless of how he was caught, he was still breaking the law and has spat the dummy out at how he was caught, not the fact that he was actually wrong in the first place for speeding. He appears to have missed that bit.

Mibbie it's cos I'm a mug that doesn't speed and pays my taxes.

wonder if he is on here?

Pulls pin out, throws and runs away...........:P

2 hours ago, 711jrp said:

If you think those mobile speed vans have anything to do with safety and nothing to do with another parenthetic stealth tax you are deluded to an extent I'm not going to try and educate you.

I don't, so please don't patronise me by thinking that you could educate me. 

The whole thing about speed cameras having to be visible is bullshit, as far as I am concerned make them completely hidden the point is you shouldnt be speeding. 

my niece was hit by an arsehole thinking it was acceptable to be going 45 in a 30 it bloody isn't, speeding within a built up area should be an instant ban. 

Whilst I'm not condoning inappropriate speed there has been a move in recent years to lower speed limits to unrealistic levels. Going in to London on the A40 the road used to change into the A40M at Shepherds Bush, a three lane elevated motorway with a 70mph limit. Nothing has changed on the road (apart from no longer being called a motorway) yet the limit has been lowered to 40mph. There are loads of other examples where the limit is just too low and inevitably everyone speeds. 

14 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Get caught speeding by a copper - fair dos. We've all been done that way and sometimes you can walk away with a slap on the wrist. But there's something so sneaky and underhand about camera vans.

I agree entirely with this comment - but more than this, widespread use of cameras has meant a huge reduction in the number of traffic cops patrolling our roads.  Seriously, think about it - when was the last time you saw a jam sandwich patrolling the motorway?  An actual police car which was out there monitoring not just speed, but driver behaviour, road hazards etc.  Cameras have their uses, but mostly they are there to raise revenue.  A camera teaches you nothing.  A good Police Officer has real value.

Funny - you hear about all these budget shortfalls leading to cuts and misery - and yet the Government tax take is more than ever.  I wonder where all the money goes?

I don't think anyone is saying they are not a cash cow and yes I do c 25k per year and rarely see a marked car, this in turn leads to the total demise of driving standards we see today.

I'm in my 40's but as a young driver I often drove like a tit and as above when stopped you were often given a bollocking, but this was about someone blocking the camera van, which, I stand by my original statement the guy is a prick.

I'm certainly no advocate of the police, but I don't envy them and wouldn't do their job for a gold pig (pardon the pun) 

19 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Funny - you hear about all these budget shortfalls leading to cuts and misery - and yet the Government tax take is more than ever.  I wonder where all the money goes?

I think it disappears on all these bloody Select Committee hearings that seem to take place as soon as anyone in public office farts...as well as all the toothless regulators to govern telecoms, water, gas, electricity, advertising etc etc...

The majority of people associated with these bodies tends to be given a lot of high value tech supposedly to help them do the job and budget holders will spend money rather than return it to the public purse for fear of losing it in future financial years ... 

+1 ^ I remember Wakefield Council used to spunk tens of thousands each year on flowers and roundabout displays etc. towards the end of the FY so they kept the budget for the following year.