Dannydub

Best iPod connectivity

Hi all,

Recently purchased my first E60 5 series and I really want to play my own songs in the car. 

What would people recommend to get as the best connectivity for the iPod in the car?

Thanks 

30 minutes ago, Rcaddicted said:

This iswhat it looks like it's pretty rare now I've seen them go for excess of £300 just looked on eBay not seen anything but something similar

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

You didn't look very hard ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E65-SERIES-7-IPOD-INTERFACE-WITH-CABLE-/282294108529?hash=item41ba0a4171:g:KIYAAOSw5cNYVJnn

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E60-E61-E63-E64-E65-E90-E70-E82-E84-Interface-Module-Alpine-OEM-0411033-/252221086178?hash=item3ab98c59e2:g:fXQAAOSwnDZT1Aiy

Just now, Dannydub said:

Thanks mate. Is that everything I need to run the iPod? Any other cabelling etc?

The first one has the cable to connect the iPod - You then just unplug the cables from your existing cd changer and plug them into the iPod interface, and it all should work.

26 minutes ago, Dotcom1970 said:

The first one has the cable to connect the iPod - You then just unplug the cables from your existing cd changer and plug them into the iPod interface, and it all should work.

Awesome. Thanks very much 

2 hours ago, Dotcom1970 said:

Another quick question mate...

obviously that top one is from a 7 series. Take it they have the same connections as the 5 series?

Cheers 

8 minutes ago, Dannydub said:

Another quick question mate...

obviously that top one is from a 7 series. Take it they have the same connections as the 5 series?

Cheers 

The part number of the interface is identical, so yes

Item 02....

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NJ72-EUR-06-2004-E61-BMW-530d&diagId=03_1294

Edited by Dotcom1970

7 hours ago, bmpaul said:

are these units plug and play?

Only if you already have the CD Changer fitted.  Otherwise they need coding in

7 minutes ago, bmpaul said:

Yeah, I have the cd changer. I just wondered as everything else on these things need bloody coding 

In that case, just remove the CDC and connect the iPod interface in it's place and all should be well :)

On 22/02/2017 at 6:23 PM, Dotcom1970 said:

Hi mate,

just connected up the interface (bought the one off eBay above) and it doesn't work. 

Any ideas?

Cheers 

On 22/02/2017 at 6:23 PM, Dotcom1970 said:

the only way I got it to work was by loading a cd into the changer when it was plugged in then unplug it and plug the interface in. But I couldn't change songs on the iDrive. When I pulled the key out and put it back in it goes back to the radio. The CD sign isn't highlighted so I can't select it 

Edited by Dannydub
Update

On 2/23/2017 at 8:08 PM, bmpaul said:

Yeah, I have the cd changer. I just wondered as everything else on these things need bloody coding 

I seem to recall it's best to disconnect the battery and let the car electronics fully drain.  connect up the ipod interface and then once it's all powered back up, everything should then work, but don't take my word for it...

2 hours ago, Dotcom1970 said:

I seem to recall it's best to disconnect the battery and let the car electronics fully drain.  connect up the ipod interface and then once it's all powered back up, everything should then work, but don't take my word for it...

Unfortunately that doesn't work. When I powered the car back up the iDrive wouldn't work until I disconnected the interface. Very strange 

I fitted an iPod interface to mine three or four years ago and seem to recall needing to have MP3 playback enabled.  I think you can check by putting an MP3 CD into the single CD slot in the dash to see if it plays. Luckily mine did.  Memory's a bit hazy though as it was a while ago now but a search on here should give more definitive info.

I can confirm that you do access the iPod interface using the CD option on the idrive.