pauliexjr

Amazon Fire, Now, Freeview? looking for alternatives to Sky

I am sick and tired of shelling out 60 quid a month for Sky only to have my wife scroll through every night and moan that there is nothing on!

We both watch BBC1 and 2, very little iTV, next most popular is Watch (or W as it's now called) but the majority of programmes on there are repeated on Home or some other channel, so what is the best bet?

I am already an Amazon Prime member as I get a lot of books for my iPad and other things, so what's actually involved in using Amazon Fire, does it have more/better channels than Sky or would I be better unhooking my Sky box and using the Freeview on my TV through the WiFi Internet connection?

I'm a bit of a dinosaur with things like this and I want a simple solution without subscribing to countless apps just to see my favourite programmes so any advise welcome.

So here's what I'd do.

Stage 1

Take Sky box out the equation (unplug it!), so no recording device.

Forget about Now TV, Amazon etc for a couple of weeks and see what you *really* miss that isn't on normal, live TV ("Free to Air", or FTA).

Make a note of anything you *genuinely" miss.

If you survive, you've saved £60/month.

If there's things you genuinely regret missing, ask yourself if they're worth the £23/£30/£60 per month you might have paid for them.......I doubt it!

Stage 2

If you've found that there were occasions where there were 2 live programme on (FTA) at the same time but you could only watch one (because no recording device), then go out and buy a Freesat (not Freeview) recording device such as a Humax. Make sure it is FreeSAT, and is a twin tuner version. You can use the Sky dish and cables you already have, it's a direct replacement.

Most newer Humax devices also connect to internet and have iPlayer etc buiilt in, another bonus. Expect to pay about £200 for a decent model though. (Sounds expensive, but how many months of Sky is that?)

We seldom watch live TV (never commercial infested channels), always record/playback. Do have a NowTV box as well (£7/month) because there is the odd thing on Sky that the Mrs watches, can justify that. 

One last thing to watch out for. You can use your Sky box to watch *most" FTA channels, but there's a couple you can't get (ITV1 HD and CH5 I think) without paying a one-off £25 fee to Sky (remember, they are both FTA channels on Freesat). But here's the biggest con. YOU CAN'T USE YOUR OLD SKY BOX TO RECORD UNLESS YOU PAY £10/MONTH !!

Now that is a disgraceful rip-off. Sky's "justification" for it that they are providing a "service". Absolute bollox - they're charging  for something you can get for free using other kit.

So, rant over, hope that's helped - PM me if you want a chat about it off forum.

S

+1 for Freesat and Humax DVR. Took that option about 8 years ago, never regretted it for a moment. Although our Humax hard drive is much smaller than current models it still holds a couple of hundred hours worth of recordings.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

KODi...Say no more. Plenty of cheap or expensive boxes on eBay.

I've got an MXQ box. Old now but still good. Have live TV (including all sky and BBC channels and all of the on demand stuff)

Get a little windows based PC then Google FreeTelly (it's a KODi edition)

J

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

The days of KODi [other similar products/platforms are available] being able to use the, errrrm, "Add On" features may soon be limited in light of some of the new internet traffic enforcements in the pipeline. There's also the question of legality.....I'll say no more.

S

I have an Amazon Fire Stick - brilliant little thing, which has now replaced my Apple TV. It has apps for Nexflix and most of the UK catchup services (BBC, C4, C5, ITV)

I bought it with a trial of Amazon Prime - content was ok, but not worth paying for (IMO). I did consider the Netflix trial, and paying for that, but I now have KODI loaded on it and for now....I'll selectively watch through that. I have a lot of content on a local network hard drive, and I also use KODI for playing that - nothing illegal there - or even close to it.

I've been happy with what's available on Freeview (have a Humax HD PVR - my third Humax device) - never been tempted by Sky or cable TV. So all in all, I pay for nothing on top of the TV licence, and whatever content i decide to purchase. Humax pretty much the best Freeview PVRs and there is an active community of developers extending the functionality through customised firmware (with the full blessing/participation of Humax themselves).

Edited by gbshahaq

I dumped Sky when I took Voluntary Redundancy it was the ideal time to do so but Sky even then went out of their way to stop me going they really are a bunch of persistent leaches! I eventually said I was emigrating that finally got them off my back.

Other than F1 in HD I miss absolutely nothing personally but the family did initially miss some of the endless American drivel I guess.

I bought a Humax freesat box and also a Youview box we can record four things at once I tend to as said above record anything with adverts so I can strip out the dross, when you consider some programmes are so padded out with what happened 5 minutes ago plus advert plus previously on ... you will often find an hour programme may only have 20 -25 minutes of actual content so definitely worth watch recordings and recovering all that lost time to watch something else....

I also have a fire stick running Kodi which is dog slow but usable and the best thing about using that to watch pre recorded streaming TV is some kind person has already stripped out all the adverts :)  

I find Kodi ok for Series and Movies but rubbish for Sports I have a second Satellite dish pointed at Astra and Watch F1 via RTL.

Edited by Alexak

Also consider NowTV if it's just a couple of Sky channels you actually use. Always some sort of offer on. I think Argos currently have 6 months entertainment pack for £20!

I've got BT TV and really happy with it, I kicked Sky into touch as they were getting too expensive, 

Most of the content comes over the digital network (Freeview) and the rest over the Broadband, you can add on apps if you wish.

I bought Netflix, costs about £8 a month.

I have Kodi downloaded onto my laptop,the only thing about it is that if your watching an English language film and someone decides to speak Johnny Foreigner language,theres no subtitles.Yes i have tried the "subtitles" button.:)

I looked into this a while ago, and came to the conclusion that really, there's no substitute for Sky.  The more you try other things, the more you realise that while a lot of the other services are good with some things, there isn't really an all round package that comes close.

I have Sky, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV.  I got the Amazon thing to watch some of their series, and to have a look at the Grand Tour thing.  Surprisingly, the benefit of this for me has not come so much from the TV element, but the free next day postage I get using Prime while shopping on Amazon.  Membership has paid for itself handsomely.

The Apple TV I only use for buying the odd movie, however I have it set up so I can access my entire iTunes music library on it, and play through the Bose sound bar I have hooked up to the TV, do that's useful at times.

If I live to be 1000, I won't ever have Kodi.  I consider watching stuff for which I should be paying to be theft, and I just can't do it.  I don't think it will last anyway - pressure is mounting on ISPs to block this sort of stuff.

Finally, I would say that the satellite setup is infinitely more reliable than most internet based streaming services.  If your internet goes down, you're screwed for all the other stuff.

Pay for the Sky.  It's worth it for a peaceful life.