Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yokozuna

That actually happened yesterday....

59 posts in this topic

I woke this morning having had a dream where I was given a E36 vert! 

Well it wasn't a dream!!!! 

Thanks to a very kind man called boots I am now the owner of a 1998 323i silver convertible E36! :shock: 

there is a few issues with the car, the main one being its soaking wet inside, this is down to the roof so that will be my first job on it, well to get it dry at least and makes sure all the electrics have dried out before fiddling around with electrical stuff.

im going to see if I can DIY it all, and what costs will be involved in getting it rd worthy for summer. 

I'll be going through it as and when I can and will update in due course 

will put a couple of pics up in a bit 

and boots thanks for the coffee. 

Cheers Dan 

but to be fair it's all there, I just need to get it dry and then see if the damp has killed anything. :shock: 

Well cleaned off all the green mold from the roof today and took out about 5ltr of water from the rear footwell, everything seems to be drying out now so will take a look at the roof next I think? 

Oh the radio started working today :D 

heres some pics as promised 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

sshooie likes this

None internal pics yet as it needs a good de-molding and a very good clean

its developed a problem though? Every time I open either door or the boot the indicators flash for about 2 min and the same when I close them? Hopefully it's just moisture and will sort itself out :lol: 

No they flash no matter what with the engine running or not

Please run a project thread on this, like I did with the Weed Patch  M5, it provides lots of fun and relieves a lot of personal stress and makes the spend a little less aggro.

good save by you both

8 minutes ago, urquattro said:

Please run a project thread on this, like I did with the Weed Patch  M5, it provides lots of fun and relieves a lot of personal stress and makes the spend a little less aggro.

good save by you both

Is this not a project thread? :? 

Well cleaned off all the green mold from the roof today and took out about 5ltr of water from the rear footwell, everything seems to be drying out now so will take a look at the roof next I think? 

Oh the radio started working today  

heres some pics as promised 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I would get the carpets out, I guarantee they are sodden underneath in the foam backing. I had similar issues with Z3's. After fixing the leaks, I stripped interior out completely to dry carpets out properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is in the rear footwell, it's like it's got it's own little spring :lol: there's a hole from the floor mat in the carpet and the water is pushing up out of it! :shock: 

i could do with a wet-dry Hoover 

will give it another go tomorrow?

chopp likes this

Mmmm sounds like you got nice project! And right attitude!:rolleyes::D good luck with it man always fancied doin something like this myself only my garage full of motorcycles! and carp fishin gear!:D:rolleyes: hey ho!!

Cheers dunc! But that's £9.99 more than I want to pay! :lol: 

Then make sure it's not leaking and get the carpet and underlay out and up to dry then mop out t the moisture and condensation every day. Leave it roof down on sunny days too.

Good news! 

I found why the roof was letting water in, it wasn't shut tight! :rolleyes: 

anyway, almost got the roof working think a bit of WD40 and it'll be right! :) 

still not cleaned the inside yet, waiting for the carpets to be a bit more drier. 

It's getting there though :) 

sshooie likes this

Good news! 

I found why the roof was letting water in, it wasn't shut tight! :rolleyes: 

anyway, almost got the roof working think a bit of WD40 and it'll be right!  

still not cleaned the inside yet, waiting for the carpets to be a bit more drier. 

It's getting there though  

you will not get those carpets even remotely dry unless you remove them. The foam backing will be saturated literally full of water!! my Z3 carpets had litres and litres of water in them, not joking was shocking. Get the carpets out.

1 minute ago, kjb1 said:

you will not get those carpets even remotely dry unless you remove them. The foam backing will be saturated literally full of water!! my Z3 carpets had litres and litres of water in them, not joking was shocking. Get the carpets out.

Yep I know! I have no where to put them once removed, likewise the seats! So I know you're concerned for my carpet but that is the only way I'm going to get it dry, I've been squeezing the water out and soaking it up! 

It's a lot better today. 

you wont get it out, you are getting 1/10 of it. Only way is carpets out. Those e36's will be easy enough to strip out.

I hear what you are saying....

infact fuck it, I'll take the seats out and put them next to the car then take the carpet out and drape it over the fence that the car is parked next to and see just how much wetter it is when I put them back in! :rolleyes: 

i take it when I said I've no where to store them you thought I was joking? 

The carpet aint coming out....

Then you'll never dry it.

Take seats out, remove carpet and under lay. Put seats back in car. Hang carpet on washing line.

You've been gifted a nice car. Put a bit of effort in

Lads the carpet ain't coming out! 

The wife wasn't best pleased with it to begin with! If I start draping smelly dirty carpet over our bath both me and the uncarpeted car will be down the rd! 

As for putting effort in, it's day 3 in my ownership! It'll get to a good enough standard as I juggle my time with my job, family and life in general! 

Rome wasn't built in a day and a carpet wasn't dried in 3 in winter....

Edited by Yokozuna
boiliebasher likes this