Stunt

New F11 owner - Headlight condensation

Picked up a 2011 F11 520d touring last week , BMW main dealer.

Drove home on the motorway in the pouring rain only to notice that the headlights (xenons) had condensation in them , and they havent yet cleared completey.

i have spoke to the dealer and we are going to monitor the situation. The car is obviously under warranty, but havind scoured the internet it seems that condensation in the lights can be a normal occurance. In 30 years of motoring this is the first car ever that has had headlights that has condensation in them.

Surely the soulution on a £40k (when new) bmw isnt to have silica gel bags hanging in the headlight units ?

Your experiences please, any comfort for me.?.

+1 again. All cars do it.

My dad has noticed this in his F10 of same vintage as mine and he got worried about it.

Ive noticed mine do it a couple of times. Noticeable after washing it.

Lights will get warm from engine bay then can get cooled by rain or from washing it, tiny amounts of water vapour in the air in the lights condense on the now cooled lens. 

I kinda disagree that 'all cars do it' as I have owned a few that have never done it at all. OK I get what you're saying that potentially any car can do it under certain conditions so yes, it is normal. In fact I've seen it on my F10 once a little bit.

Saw a brand new Audi A6 parked up a while ago and the headlamps were seriously condensated.

The moral of the story is it isn't something to worry about.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I am glad this has been discussed and is deamed "normal" as I fitted into 535iAR's Dad's state of mind when I saw I had condensation in my headlights recently.. :-)

Agree it's normal, esp on F10/F11.  How bad it gets depends upon how long the car's been stood or how much the lights have not been used.  You'll also find LED headlights are worse than xenon which are worse than halogen because halogen are the least efficient so generate more heat, then xenons, then LEDs.

1 hour ago, c00lh4nd said:

I am glad this has been discussed and is deamed "normal" as I fitted into 535iAR's Dad's state of mind when I saw I had condensation in my headlights recently.. :-)

Lol He's just fussy after buying his 'dream' car with his retirement pension pot.

I'm quite disappointed then, my F11 have never done it but I bought a bag of silica bags in anticipation after reading on here ages ago, seems I've wasted my 2 quid. None of my previous cars have done it either the last two being xenons.

38 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Mine rarely does it and even then only minor but mine is garaged and hardly ever used, or washed.. 

That probably sums up what I've seen on mine and my dads F10.

Its not like there is water sloshing around or even droplets, it's more like a feint mist on the inside.

Update

Headlights replaced under warranty. .  Still some condensation but not as bad , although it is a few degrees warmer these days / nights

Silica gel bags have arrived.