gbrownings

London £10 emission toxicity charge for older cars going into the city

On 02/08/2017 at 8:04 AM, Hoopyfrood said:

It's actually worse than some realise.

The T-Charge is applied to any vehicle that is considered polluting whilst travelling inside of the uLEZ which is currently the same as the CCZ inside the city, and will be applied to all vehicles from October this year. Polluting vehicles will be any diesel below Euro-6 (roughly older than 2015 vehicles) and Euro-4 petrol vehicles (est 2009, 2007 for motorbikes).

That isn't quite accurate. My 2004 car is exempt from the T-Charge for example, as would be a 2001 E39 530i from a search I did with an actual plate. For petrol engines anyway it is based on actual emission when new, and BMW were clearly well ahead of the game with emissions reductions. I think mine is a Euro 3, but of course Euro 4 didn't exist then. The actual emissions on mine are within the Euro 6 standard - and the T-Charge understands this, despite it being officially Euro 3.

Edited by Tuvoc

The T-Charge is applied to any vehicle that is considered polluting whilst travelling inside of the uLEZ which is currently the same as the CCZ inside the city, and will be applied to all vehicles from October this year. Polluting vehicles will be any diesel below Euro-6 (roughly older than 2015 vehicles) and Euro-4 petrol vehicles (est 2009, 2007 for motorbikes).

However. .....

The uLEZ limits now coming into force are expected to be adopted and applied to the whole of the current LEZ in 2021, that's pretty much everywhere inside the M25.

After recent court battles going against the government regarding air pollution, other cities will be required to tackle the issue and London may well be used as an example for other authorities around the country. Expect to see this issue growing and becoming more of a concern.

Well that makes commuting in my E39 or E34 impossible for me then. The LEZ is 24/7 as well so actually driving them at all will become very expensive if that is carried through. 

The uLEZ limits now coming into force are expected to be adopted and applied to the whole of the current LEZ in 2021, that's pretty much everywhere inside the M25.

No decision yet as far as I can see.  The most recent consultation which resulted in bringing forward these current plans said:

Later this year, we plan to consult on proposals to expand the ULEZ on behalf of the Mayor. No additional information regarding the emerging ideas for expanding the ULEZ is included in this consultation. However, any relevant consultation responses received as part of this consultation and responses to the previous Stage 1 and 2 consultations, will be taken into consideration when developing proposals for expanding the ULEZ.

Enforcement of all vehicles residing and driving within an area like the M25 would be an expensive nightmare.