gbrownings

London £10 emission toxicity charge for older cars going into the city

19 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, welshpug said:

E39 is euro 3, manual CO2 is 346g/km.

Thanks.  This must impact on the second hand value of cars that might be used in and around central London (not mine on a regular basis anyway)

I doubt it, anyone that can afford central London and an M BMW wouldn't blink an eye at that kind of small change.

Most people working in and around London don't live anywhere near the centre and so rely on public transport or cars to get into work. This new charge will mean any cars older than about 2005 will be devalued or at least harder to sell, not just BMWs

1 hour ago, welshpug said:

E39 is euro 3, manual CO2 is 346g/km.

Warming the planet up, good stuff, keep it going!:D

Very happy in London and with my M5!

It is the one place in this country you couldn't pay me enough money to live in.

Do you get out of 1st gear?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Carl-e34 likes this

It is the one place in this country you couldn't pay me enough money to live in.

Do you get out of 1st gear?

No, only ever in 1st gear and never go above 5mph because we are too busy counting all the money we have that supports the rest of the country.

NuckingFuts and Hakon like this

London is code for shit hole! 

You  can call it an expensive shit hole if you want (after my last trip to a certain country it's not that bad!) but it's still a shit hole! :lol: 

If it stays within the current congestion charge zone then it's not that much of an issue TBH. There are plans to extend it out to within the north/south circular roads though which would make it a huge pain. £21 a day would cost you around £5k a year to commute to work in your pre 2005 car. Not funny at all. 

19 hours ago, inkiboo said:

No, only ever in 1st gear and never go above 5mph because we are too busy counting all the money we have that supports the rest of the country.

And, we the rest of the country are too busy paying the central collection agency (HMRC) which subsidizes the central bureaucracy. 

On 2/17/2017 at 7:30 PM, welshpug said:

I doubt it, anyone that can afford central London and an M BMW wouldn't blink an eye at that kind of small change.

Not necessarily. You find people that have lived somewhere for years yet if they were to come into the area as newcomers they would not be able to afford it.

If I were to get the equivalent job in London I'd earn 25-30% more, yet my house would cost 2.5-3 times as much.

My commute takes 8 minutes from my front door to my desk, is it still as good as you think?

On 21/02/2017 at 1:04 AM, Doddy666 said:

If I were to get the equivalent job in London I'd earn 25-30% more, yet my house would cost 2.5-3 times as much.

My commute takes 8 minutes from my front door to my desk, is it still as good as you think?

emoji13.png

...and your house would appreciate in value 2.5-3 times as quickly too ;)

Edited by M5 London

...and your house would appreciate in value 2.5-3 times as quickly too

Doesn't matter much if the next house you has done the same, justifying to me ain't gonna work....its still in london

Fair point, but surely you would prefer your own asset to be appreciating strongly (whether or not other houses are too).  

Gives you an option to exit the market and place your new wealth in a cheaper market....

duncan-uk likes this

19 hours ago, M5 London said:

Gives you an option to exit the market and place your new wealth in a cheaper market....

^^^ This .... Pretty much guaranteed - worked for me...left London in 1995 but kept a small foot hold in Crystal Palace with an ex-council flat which cost £25k in 1995... sold last year for £205k and over the 21 years was only empty without a tenant for a total of 4 months...  All mortgage payments, ground rent, maintenance etc all covered by the rent.