Kalpesh

A handful of issues and I don't know where to begin

Hi,

I need some serious direction here please as I don't know where to begin

I'm going to try and keep this simple and I hope I'm not rambling on.

Ok, so my mechanic tells me that my engine management light doesn't work, so I do some searching on the net which I'm led to believe that some models don't show it on ignition.

I recently bought a donor car, took out that instrument cluster to do some testing, and compare what I saw on both of them.

With both clusters on ignition I noted the following not illuminating up on my original cluster:

- Parking Brake "( ! )" Warning Light
- ABS Warning Light
- Air Bag Warning Light
- Traction Control Warning Light

On the Instrument Cluster Test I've noted the following:

- Engine management light comes on both clusters whilst on test 
- Parking brake "( ! )" warning light flashes red&amber on the donor cluster whilst on test

So I kept the donor cluster in the car so I can see which warning light I get whilst driving around town. Now I do have a DSC issue as I have to turn it off as car goes into limp mode, and that highlights on the cluster.

Here is what's confusing me, I have diagnostic software and from the readings I do have a faulty o2 sensor pre cat, Wouldn't this show the EML on the cluster?

I also have the ABS warning light on the cluster too and diagnostic shows as wheel speed sensor.

I really don't know where to begin tackling all of this so any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated, I got my piggy bank at the ready 

NB: the pictures of both clusters are at ignition, the original from my car is the one without the silver rings.

Thanks

Kalp

image.jpg

image.jpg

What lights actually remain illuminated when the engine is running?

A faulty 02 sensor may not throw an EML. It will if it upsets the fuel injection performance. But if, for example a sensor heater fault is detected but the sensor is still functioning then it will be logged as a fault code but not trigger the EML because the engine will still run ok.

If you have a wheel speed sensor fault its probably 50:50 between a wheel speed sensor and a faulty ABS module - there's plenty info on here about that.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, MJM said:

What lights actually remain illuminated when the engine is running?

A faulty 02 sensor may not throw an EML. It will if it upsets the fuel injection performance. But if, for example a sensor heater fault is detected but the sensor is still functioning then it will be logged as a fault code but not trigger the EML because the engine will still run ok.

If you have a wheel speed sensor fault its probably 50:50 between a wheel speed sensor and a faulty ABS module - there's plenty info on here about that.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Hi,

the DSC light as I have to turn it off to drive anywhere, and the ABS light are illuminated whilst running

kalp

If you are very lucky the ABS and DSC  lights will indicate a fault on one of the wheel sensors ( a cheap fix) but in my experience it will more likely derive from a fault in the ABS module (an expensive fix).

have you had/done any work to the steering ? the steering angle sensor if out of sinc will cause abs and dsc to light  can be re calabrated /reset  with software (long story) but i had to do this after reto fitting electric column

2 minutes ago, supertramp101 said:

have you had/done any work to the steering ? the steering angle sensor if out of sinc will cause abs and dsc to light  can be re calabrated /reset  with software (long story) but i had to do this after reto fitting electric column

I've had a set of push & pull hand controls fitted when I bought the car, the DSC issue came several months after those were fitted.

I wouldn't have been aware of the ABS light (and the DSC) coming on, as I only recently tried the other cluster to compare against each other.

11 hours ago, e39liam said:

Really sorry for chirping in on this subject feel free to put me in my place, but are those silver dash rings for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna be keeping these clocks I'm afraid