OAPINGT

Near side rear suspension dropped!

7 posts in this topic

Hi looking for some advice I have a 2012 520 G T with 52 k miles on the clock.

The other morning i went to the car and I noticed the car had dropped at the near side rear, the tyre top was level with the wheel arch ! but the offside was a few inches off the tyre.

On starting the car I could hear a creaking/groaning sound at the rear as it lifted up into the correct position!

it felt  a bit bumpy for the first few miles, but seamed to settle down now!

There was nothing on the dashboard warning or anything!

I tow a caravan with out any problems 

hope some one can shed some light of similar experience!

I must add this is the first BMW I have owned and it's the first car I have owned in 49 years of driving! That I look forward to driving every day ! And the first car I have no desire to change It which is a first for me.

Alec

Most likely a leak from your rear air Spring. Really common problem on most F11s and F07s which is what you have.

Get it checked for an air leak.

Hi 

Just an update 2 new rear airbags fitted 2 new bags ex Aerosus £268.00. And labour £60.00 at my local garage,he likes working on my car ! He says it's been built by someone who has a good idea how to build cars!

His main job is rebuilding and restoring TVR sports and classic cars!

I've got say what a difference it's made to the car it's made it so smooth ! I suppose you just get used to it feeling all the bumps etc.

Even her lady ship commented with out me prompting her!! But there was no offer of any financial help!!

You can see from the photos there is like fine hair line splits in the near side one and a tare in it.

But nothing in the offside one but pleased I replaced it.

Good job done and not to expensive, dread to think what the stealer would have charged!

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

sshooie likes this

On 12 February 2017 at 11:52 AM, 535iAR said:

Most likely a leak from your rear air Spring. Really common problem on most F11s and F07s which is what you have.

When there are 15-20 year old E39's still on the originals, it's disgraceful that 5 year old airbags are dropping like flies.

18 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

When there are 15-20 year old E39's still on the originals, it's disgraceful that 5 year old airbags are dropping like flies.

They don't build them like they used too! 

I think we've seen failures at less than 5 years old on here, haven't we?

Saying that my rear coil Spring broke at ~37k and 3.5 years old.

My offside failed about 6 months ago, nearside was near mint, so somebody must have replaced previously. 4.5 years old on about 60K. £50 quid part from German ebay supplier and fitted myself.