Sign in to follow this  
Owen540i

535d with a DDE full of fault codes!

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping to gain some advice from the expertsHave a few ideas below.

The car is a 2006 137k miles, regularly serviced and almost all preventative maintenance carried out.

Car is not as smooth or quiet is it has been on a cold start up, performance appears normal and mpg is well... crap as expected!!

10 minute scan on inpa revealed the following misdemeanours...

P2620 Throttle position output circuit open. New throttle unit required or is a rebuild kit any good? Been there a while and consistent with shudder on turning off.

4212 Glow plug cylinder 1 Control

4232 Glow plug cylinder 3 Control

4242 Glow plug cylinder 4 Control- these codes have been consistent so perhaps the time for a controller and test plugs ?

4B90 Rail Pressure Monitoring at engine start. - I will look at this in live data in a variety of start up situations.

4185 Exhaust engine temperature sensor before Cat Signal.

4D00 Exhaust impression sensor.

480A System of particle filter - I will revisit last regent and check live data on DPF's condition. Assuming exhaust codes be related?

P1278 Engine smoothness Control correction quantity too high. Perhaps an injector out of spec, I will check live data and put a leak off tester on it.

Could be Time for all vacuum lines to be changed and some boost pipes show early signs of oily leaking from seals.

4A66 Power management Bordnet - Possibly IBS ? I have discharge message regularly when working on the car.

Any help very much appreciated

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no expert but the smooth running code you have is more than likely an injector causing your car to run rough. If it's over fuelling this may block the dpf up quicker and I would imagine it's not regening as you have codes for glow plugs which I think can stop a regen. I have also been told the throttle actuator code can stop a regen but I'm not a hundred per cent on this. I'm no expert so take this with a pinch of salt but I would carry out a smooth running test and check your glow plugs and controller. 

I think rail pressure monitoring can come up if the engine is not cranking at full speed as the fuel pump can't build up the correct pressure. 

May be worth checking your battery as you also have an ibs code. 

I'm no expert but the smooth running code you have is more than likely an injector causing your car to run rough. If it's over fuelling this may block the dpf up quicker and I would imagine it's not regening as you have codes for glow plugs which I think can stop a regen. I have also been told the throttle actuator code can stop a regen but I'm not a hundred per cent on this. I'm no expert so take this with a pinch of salt but I would carry out a smooth running test and check your glow plugs and controller. 

I think rail pressure monitoring can come up if the engine is not cranking at full speed as the fuel pump can't build up the correct pressure. 

May be worth checking your battery as you also have an ibs code. 

Thanks for your advice, my aim is to get into DIS this morning and check smooth running and DPF data.

I think the evidence is stacking up for a new AGM battery.

I have some time off in two weeks I will get inlet manifold off change vacuum lines and test/change Glow plug parts.

When you have a 480A code, the consensus here is to check your running temperature and change your stats (genuine only).

You may be onto something here sir ...

Does it flag a code just for low temps?

I have sadly fitted a gates main stat, it's the 2nd gates one due to sealing issues on first. On monitoring yesterday coolant temperatures were 97-103.

Balls!

Little update

Smooth/rough control issue are present due to correction values for cylinder 2 being through the roof at idle. Which would explain crap idle and unburnt diesel stench

Best place to acquire an injector please?!

Battery is being charged correctly when engine running but promptly discharges if you leave the boot open/ignition on for a short period with engine off. Best way to test an AGM battery? Standard drop tester adequate to condemn it?

Thanks O

The glow plug failures are probably all down to the glow plug controller failure, the glow plugs could prove to be ok. That with a blocked DPF due to lower engine temps could cause quite a few issues

Had chance to work on the car today made some progress on the faults with more found for tomorrow.

New Glow plug controller and replaced two of the plugs. **Those who tackle this with the inlet manifold on are quite frankly heroes!!

Lost two M7 nuts in the process muppet!!

Replaced all the crispy vacuum hoses, cleaned inlet out again, EGR and its throttle controller.

Changed the wonky injector!!

Found a leaking main thermostat seal. **Second Gates unit to fail to seal after a few months. I will check the cooling system more thoroughly and buy a genuine tomorrow.

Found both front track Rods seized solid in the rod ends, no amount of heat would budge them. Have the parts to replace tomorrow and will align it.

Battery is still required, has anyone moved from AGM to flooded? Wondering if the AGM is essential.

Happy Days