cocomillion

Any mechanics about

I've seen a smart fortwo for sale . The below are some MOT advisorys from last test.

Anyone able to explain,telly up the cost of repair please

Advisory notice item(s)

sump wet oil

Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive rear subframe corrosion (2.4.A.3)

front Shock absorber has slight corrosion to the casing both sides (2.7.2a)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

sounds like a slightly over zealous tester, nothing of concern particularly unless these have a known history of rotting out subframes?

where on the sump is leaking?  the drain plug or the joint to the engine block?

or its just a case of these items may need attention in a few years time.  Things to watch out for.

My E60 went thru a few MOTs with advisories (corrosion on brake lines) which then became MOT failures a few years later, but nothing too dramatic and easy fixed.

Edited by 535iAR

Agreed, MOT tester seems rather thorough and the advisories seem to be very minor areas of concern. I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of cars on our roads have a " sump wet oil" lol :rolleyes:

OP, I wouldn't worry too much about the issues stated, and are probably not worth splashing out money unless you really, really, want to.

The sump gasket is probably weeping (like millions of other cars on the road lol)

Corrosion on the rear subframe depending on how bad, could probably just be sorted with a wire brush and some paint, then under sealed.

And the shock absorber casings being rusty is again, really nothing to worry about ^_^

All in all, I really shouldn't worry too much about those advisories and they really are minor in the grand scheme of things lol ;) I would personally say the advisories listed are hardly deal breakers on something like a fortwo lol :rolleyes: I would be more concerned about an up together service history, general appearance of the vehicle and making sure everything is all above board like hpi clear, mileage corresponds to MOT certs etc more than anything else.

4 minutes ago, Blackman said:

A leaking sump - not a big deal, rusty shock absorber casing - same thing, however the subframe corrosion could be a concern, depending how bad it is...

Agreed, but my logic being the MOT tester is being picky on advising the sump and shocks so chances are the subframe in reality is probably not that bad at all. Difficult to gauge without photos or physically inspecting it your self. Sometimes it really does depend on the individual MOT tester at the time and his definition of "corrosion" may be completely different to another's...... 

13 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

Sometimes it really does depend on the individual MOT tester at the time and his definition of "corrosion" may be completely different to another's...... 

Agree, E60 went for MOT, examiner picked up loads of advisories on my rear suspension "rear suspension bushes showing signs of wear but not resulting in excessive movement".

His boss MOT'd it next year and the phrase he used was "there is F&£k all wrong with they bushes, he's talking out his @rse".

Before that, different garage same E60 had an inner track rod balljoint picked up as slight movement as an advisory. Next year, same garage and same examiner, never mentioned it again. Funny that!

2 hours ago, 535iAR said:

.....different garage same E60 had an inner track rod balljoint picked up as slight movement as an advisory. Next year, same garage and same examiner, never mentioned it again. Funny that!

I've had advisories that seemed to mend themselves too.:-)