c00lh4nd

First Attempt at Coding - Using Carly

Well, I puckered up and plucked up the courage to try the Carly product and adaptor to change some of the codes on my F11. Having spent the £40+ on the OBD wireless adaptor and £40 or so on the IOS application I nervously tried the product. For coding I tried some of the simpler tasks activating folding mirrors 0 seconds after remote locking, enabled the easy entry/exit steering tilt and auto-activating the Active High Beam option when the headlights are active. I found the process simple and easy to-do. There were however a couple of disappointments.

1) The product does not, as yet, support NBT iDrive (mildly disappointing and my fault for not doing enough due diligence)

2) The diagnostics found 15 error codes that could not be cleared. Many I was not bothered about but the ODC sensors are showing a short circuit despite working and with the immobiliser system.

On the whole an easy product to use but it does lack some options that appear on the F10 cheat sheet, e.g. HUD settings being one set of obvious odes.

Hope this helps anyone who like me was intrigued by the idea of coding but was put off by the need for German and the MS Windows Like Registry structure when playing with their pride a joy

C00lh4nd

I have used Carly for my initial experiment as it was more akin to "plug n play", which as I say does not support NBT. However reading around e-SYS there are plenty of options and support for NBT iDrive. As for the HUD, again in Carly there is no support for the Fxx but some basic for the Exx. Not sure about ISTA, however when I looked at e-SYS and the cheatsheets there are plenty of options for the hud and the NBT. Foir the HUD the following seems to be supported

• Brightness
  • Indicators
  • Radio Channels
  • Telephone Contacts
  • Music Tracks
  • Adaptive Cruise Control - Break Distance
  • Digital Tacho

See the thread below for the cheetsheats.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794469&page=2

Good web page for intro into e-SYS coding

http://codingf10.com/getting-started/

Yes, I want the following on mine (suitable for a 2014 Luxury):

• Indicators
  • Radio Channels
  • Telephone Contacts
  • Music Tracks

I am too "nervous Nerys" (for those of you who are OFAH fans) to do mine on my own!!!!  

Edited by nashdm2

NashDm2

Forgive my naivety but are all but the indicators not settings under the HUD setting in iDrive ? I have a late model 2015 F11 and they are for me.

HUD Options.jpg

Settings HUD.jpg

Depends which model/year.  My old 2012 GT didn't have these options but my late 2015 does have all of the ones in your picture.

I am sure mine does not have those options as "user ticks". I will check next time I am in the car.

It does annoy me that if there is an option available to code, then give it to the owner as a tick option for goodness sake!!!! 

Nash

Leaning on an open door with me on this. If it is there for coding then and it is asthetics (Number of Indicator Flashes, Intesity of DRLs, HUD Coontent etc) then why not make it a tick option ?

Yes, otherwise, why is it there?

I know the cars are set up different for various countries, which must be a nightmare for BMW. So, to cure this, set every codeable item in a menu for owner users to select what best works for them (within country laws etc)

Am I being too over simplistic here?

Yes, imagine the amount of visits to the dealers they'd have with people inadvertently changing things, imo kiss (keep it simple, stupid) and let those who want to change parameters pay for it.

Nash

I think TopGear addressed this with their review of the last but one M5. Their message was there was simply too many options that got in the way of a pure driving experience. I am with sshooie (spookily on many things) KISS is my motto to life. Plus it is kinda naughty to think you are hacking your car (when you are not in reality). :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Understood. But, I think they were talking about options that change per drive in the car. What I am talking about is potentially options that you could select if you wanted it on or off for the life of the car, not a config per drive. ie, indicators showing in the HUD, i would select that "on" for the life of the car, not configure it per drive. Just my opinion. As has been mentioned above, otherwise, why are they there? Give the owners the choice, don't remove that choice, our cars are complex enough, adding extra idrive options would not make that more complex than it already is.

Coding is amazingly powerful I just re-coded my car and ended up with this :)

Seriously though even for my BMW bike I had to buy a GS911 simply to be able to bleed the servo brakes which have four separate reservoirs!

r1200st-p1010390.jpg

Omitting stuff from available options gives BMW the opportunity to fleece us for more money. Advanced Bluetooth is a good example, it's easily coded but BMW will charge us a sizeable wedge to have it :(

I am am wondering if lane departure warning is a similar example. If you have the adaptive headlights with adaptive main beam then you have the KADAR camera. Apart from the code I am struggling to find anything else lane departure uses..

3 hours ago, c00lh4nd said:

I am am wondering if lane departure warning is a similar example. If you have the adaptive headlights with adaptive main beam then you have the KADAR camera. Apart from the code I am struggling to find anything else lane departure uses..

Personally I wouldn't bother, it's fitted to mine but I turn it off, a complete waste of time unless you don't know how to straighten a bend that is.  

Yep I added LDW because I already had all the hardware except the on off switch

I rarely use it except on Motorways and then it is really only a great tool as a reminder to indicate every time using it for anything else like a going to sleep warning is plain ludicrous yet that is what they originally were supposed to be for!

LCW otoh is fantastic. great for warning about twats undertaking on slip roads and people in blind spots