535dean

E61 lci sat nav update via USB

Hi everyone, 

I have a 2009 e61 535d. I have the pro sat nav with 2009 maps. I brought a 2017 map update and fsc code from Bmw and have tried to update the maps via the USB port in glovebox but nothing happens? It should start straight away I thought? 

I have plugged my I  phone in to the USB port but can't get it to play music through it but it will charge? My only other aux point that I know of is in the rear of the car and is a 3.5mm jack plug which does work. My i drive only shows aux front on the menu nothing about USB? 

Can an anyone help me please? 

Thanks 

What year is your car?

i only have 1 cd slot in dash so think I have the cic nav. 

I I think I may need a firmware update for it to recognise the USB can anyone confirm this??

failing that can I get the DVDs and use my fsc code Bmw supplied? 

Firstly do you have the tick on the i like below

7c7b0f248b3775e5dca7bcfef6dafc272f0b28e6

This guide will show you how 

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682796

Its simple, once you have the 3 folders on a usb stick once you plug it in assuming its been uploaded to usb fine it will ask for FSC code then start updating. 

Should be as simple as the guide Grizzle linked to.

Do you have full 7 digit postcode search available?

If not, then the system can updated by the dealer and maybe you need that for the USB to work.

I've only bought genuine maps and FSC codes, and the 2015 maps were on 3 x CDs, however both 2016 & 2017 maps were on USB sticks, updated via the glovebox USB - apparently you can't use the armrest USB for updating.

I found that my maps only seem to update with the car running - the 45 minute drive back home from Cotswold BMW is about long enough for that to happen.

Hope that helps,

Nick

Hi thanks for the link and info. 

I I do not have the tick or the i symbol and I only have 5 digit postcode. 

My USB stick with latest maps is genuine from BMW with an fsc code but the car does not recognise me putting the USB stick in the glovebox. 

Im waiting for a price from BMW to update the cic software which will hopefully allow my cic unit to see the USB stick. 

Does this sound about right? 

BMW called me back and have told me they will update my whole cars software in a day and that should sort my problem. 

Im pretty sure I will lose my remap though if they do that. I said I thought it was possible just to update the cic but it was like talking to a brick wall. 

Can anyone shed and light on this please? 

yeh  had to get mine updated as i didnt have the tick in the i 

Full software update cost me £35 right enough lol. 

Then was £9 for the FSC code i found the 2016-2 maps free somewhere online 

25 minutes ago, Grizzle_E60 said:

yeh  had to get mine updated as i didnt have the tick in the i 

Full software update cost me £35 right enough lol. 

Then was £9 for the FSC code i found the 2016-2 maps free somewhere online 

Where did you get your cic updated? 

Bmw want to update the whole car!

£35 to just get the Nav software updated sounds pretty good, but have you been given a price for the full car update?

Surely the company that did your remap can flash it back in if it gets lost with the update...

Yes I need to speak to them and ask if they can reflash my car again if the remap goes. 

I just worry that tinkering with the electronics to much may cause me headaches that I don't have at the moment. 

It would be nice just to get the cic software updated

21 hours ago, 535dean said:

Where did you get your cic updated? 

Bmw want to update the whole car!

The whole car was updated for £35 at Douglas Park Stirling.

40 minutes ago, Grizzle_E60 said:

The whole car was updated for £35 at Douglas Park Stirling.

Grizlle_e60, I am a bit lost here a bit, by saying the whole car was updated? Is it just a Sat Nav?

I am just asking if it's worth for me calling BMW dealer and ask that but I have no idea what to ask?

Cheers

Thanks grizzle. 

Bmw said they would update all my modules for £60 to latest software which is fine but I just don't want to lose the remap. 

When i asked them if they could just do the sat nav they said no. That's 2 dealers I have tried both said the same.

4 hours ago, Vlady said:

Grizlle_e60, I am a bit lost here a bit, by saying the whole car was updated? Is it just a Sat Nav?

I am just asking if it's worth for me calling BMW dealer and ask that but I have no idea what to ask?

Cheers

no thats right the whole car had an update all modules incl sat nav which then enabled me to update the sat nav maps to 2016-2 

If you can get the remap put back in then £60 for a full update from the main dealer's got to be worth it.

Mine was fully updated before I collected it to enable 7 digit postcodes, and like I said in my previous post, no problem updating the maps via USB.

I had an E91 a few years ago, and at just over two years old I was shown a multi-page list of updates available for it, which covered petty much every area of the car, so while it didn't make it feel any different, I felt it was worthwhile having done, and viewed it kinda like a Windows/Mac OS update.

On a similar note, I've seen that Avon Tuning offer a separate gearbox software update service, which I'm going to get done soon.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by cubbyq

Hi everyone, 

just an update on this, I took my to Technosport BMW in north London. He was able to update all my control units without doing the dde and clearing the remap. My USB stick has now uploaded and I have the 2017 maps. 

Thanks again for the info 

Good news Dean, glad you got it sorted without having to get the remap put back in.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by cubbyq