535dean

E61 LCI USB sat nav update help

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I have a 2009 e61 535d. I have the pro sat nav with 2009 maps. I brought a 2017 map update and fsc code from Bmw and have tried to update the maps via the USB port in glovebox but nothing happens? It should start straight away I thought? 

I have plugges my phone phone in to the USB port but can't get it to play music through it but it will charge? My only other aux point that I know of is in the rear of the car and is a 3.5mm jack plug which does work. My i drive only shows aux front on the menu nothing about USB? 

Can an anyone help me please? 

Thanks 

Hiya,

on a car that old unless your firmware has been updated you will have to update the nav via DVD's. the first couple times i updated maps had to do with 3 dual layer DVD's. then last October i had the software in my car updated, since then i can now update nav maps via the USB in the glove box.

best thing to do for the phone is to get a Bluetooth a2dp adapter and plug it into the 3.5mm in the cubby hole and power it from the usb next to it, this will give you Bluetooth streaming from your phone and is super cheap :D

Cheers
Dazzler

just to add if you plug a usb flash drive with music on it into the glove box usb it will let you copy it onto the internal hard drive.

Thanks for the reply. 

Fubnily enough my phone pairs to my car with Bluetooth fine it's just when I plug it in with a USB cable it doesn't. 

I have brought a genuine usb from BMW so would like to use that as its easier to update than transferring the files to a DVD. I am waiting for a price from them for updating my cic unit. 

Do do you know what the difference between cic firmware and software is? 

Thanks 

the cic firmware is the base version this is best updated by a professional which the right equipment.

once bmw or an indy have updated the software you will be able to update from usb, although i doubt that BMW will do this for you. I had to go to an independent to have this done.

also it does risk bricking a module... which is a gamble you have to take, mine failed first time but then completed second time and it cost me £130 i think.

Cheers
Daz

1 hour ago, Dazzler22 said:

the cic firmware is the base version this is best updated by a professional which the right equipment.

once bmw or an indy have updated the software you will be able to update from usb, although i doubt that BMW will do this for you. I had to go to an independent to have this done.

also it does risk bricking a module... which is a gamble you have to take, mine failed first time but then completed second time and it cost me £130 i think.

Cheers
Daz

Thanks for the info, can I ask where are you based and who did you use? BMW have told me they need to update my whole cars software. I'm worried I will lose my remap though as I only want the cic updated. 

When yours failed the first time do you mean it bricked the module and was then recovered it is it a case of once it's bricked it's game over?  Sorry bit slow on the tech talk! 

hiya, im in cornwall and had mine updated by howards in redruth,

it initially bricked the module but they managed to recover it, this is apparently rare... normally is new module job, they did update the whole car took 2 full days including the bricking and recovery!

although was worth it for me as now everything works properly....

Hi everyone, 

just an update on this, I took my to Technosport BMW in north London. He was able to update all my control units without doing the dde and clearing the remap. My USB stick has now uploaded and I have the 2017 maps. 

Thanks again for the info 

Sweet glad you got it sorted, the newer version of the firmware is better too, seems to work much better than before for me anyway!

Yes haven't had a good play with it but it all seems to be that bit sharper and quicker. Maybe it's a placebo effect but it's working!