I'm starting to think maybe my Ista is the problem. I've bought a laptop with diagnosistools, including ista, installed by the seller. Do I have to be connected to a server (VPN) og something to initialize cameras?

Edited by Magnus86

No, so long as ISTA starts and connects to your car successfully you should be ok. There is no remote connection to BMW's servers from our installations of ISTA and we work totally standalone.

If you have an Internet connection to the laptop when it is connected to the car I'd be happy to log on using Teamviewer and take a look to see if I can help.

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

Probably best starting a new topic in the right section. 

Hi sshooie seems like u know a lot about BMW’s looking at ur profile , could u please help me ? Shut my boot yesterday and come up on dash boot open , now the parking sensors stopped working , reverse camera stopped working , horn stopped working and central locking stopped working , know I can’t get into the boot ,any ideas ? Thanks

Hi, the first thing I'd do is get any fault codes read by a decent independent garage. It could be a number of things or something as simple as a faulting battery (which a 2011 car would be on the cusp of a new one imo). 

Unlikely they are all unrelated (hopefully). 

Oh, and I know very very little in the scheme of things,just an interested owner. 

*mods may be worth splitting this. 

Hello Matthew,

Nice job..... 

i Have a simular failure.... Side view camera failure .

ISTA-D shows left camera failure, so i buy a (used) side view camera.

After connect the camera, what is next to do ? Has it to learn/coding in ISTA-P ?

Hope you can help me out, because after connecting nothing happens and still the error occurs. 

Thank you 

16 hours ago, GB68 said:

Hello Matthew,

Nice job..... 

i Have a simular failure.... Side view camera failure .

ISTA-D shows left camera failure, so i buy a (used) side view camera.

After connect the camera, what is next to do ? Has it to learn/coding in ISTA-P ?

Hope you can help me out, because after connecting nothing happens and still the error occurs. 

Thank you 

If there is no cable issue and the camera you've purchased actually works, you can do a diagnosis with ISTA to see if the camera is indeed being detected by the car. If the right side camera does work you can swap it to the other side and if it still works then you know it isn't the cable. I wasn't so lucky and need a new camera and cable and that is when the fun started.

Once it all works, you may find the video from the camera is upside down and then you will need ISTA to switch it the right way up.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

.... Camera's all good.... so i think the cable ..;(

In ISTA Function and stat information... Bumper Camera left... 0.00mA.... others 92.00 mA consumptions... No power on the left side.

So , i think the same problems you had !?

Where  goes the cable from the camera.. in a module   ??  

Thanks again and tips are more then welcome .

26 minutes ago, GB68 said:

.... Camera's all good.... so i think the cable ..;(

In ISTA Function and stat information... Bumper Camera left... 0.00mA.... others 92.00 mA consumptions... No power on the left side.

So , i think the same problems you had !?

Where  goes the cable from the camera.. in a module   ??  

Thanks again and tips are more then welcome .

Yes, I too had 0 current on the left camera.

The cable goes from the camera through the car to the TRSVC module in the boot. The cable costs about £160 and you get both Side view camera cables p/n 

Most of the information is in this thread.

Thanks, i saw your thread.. Hell of a job.. and what a price for a cable.. :(

but i live in The Netherlands, so we have a LHD , eveything the other way i guess ;)

Update next week.... Thanks again..

Just now, GB68 said:

Thanks, i saw your thread.. Hell of a job.. and what a price for a cable.. :(

but i live in The Netherlands, so we have a LHD , eveything the other way i guess ;)

Update next week.... Thanks again..

Yes it is the other way round , but it is actually easier on the left hand drive cars. Getting the cable through to the cabin from the engine compartment was a very time consuming process as I had to dismantle the air ventilation blower to get the cable through. Yours is on the other side so you can just feed the cable through the main cable grommet entering beneath the steering wheel.

Matthew,  sorry,.. one question left about the cable.. 

Where is the cable going into the car exactly ? Is the cable going into a module under the driver seat ? 

Thanks again..

13 hours ago, GB68 said:

Matthew,  sorry,.. one question left about the cable.. 

Where is the cable going into the car exactly ? Is the cable going into a module under the driver seat ? 

Thanks again..

On 11/5/2017 at 8:01 PM, Matthew Ashton said:

The cable goes from the camera through the car to the TRSVC module in the boot. The cable costs about £160 and you get both Side view camera cables p/n 

Boot in England, Trunk in America, Netherlands...

The TRSVC module is found on the left hand side of the boot behind the trim cover. There are 6 cables going into the unit which makes it quite easy to find.

Washed my car yesterday using the jetwash and got a rear camera failure when selecting reverse. Also get a side camera failure when activating, yet they all work and show a picture normally.

I suspect I got a bit too close with the jetwash gun on the front bumper cameras and will see if it clears during the week. If not, I'll open up the front bumper cameras first....Actually I'll check with ISTA first to see which side is playing up...

The cameras are very well sealed, it's more likely to be the plug on the rear, be careful if you remove it as they can get brittle. Personally I'd leave it and let it dry out. 

19 hours ago, sshooie said:

The cameras are very well sealed, it's more likely to be the plug on the rear, be careful if you remove it as they can get brittle. Personally I'd leave it and let it dry out. 

Hmm, thanks for that, might be a hair dryer job from the outside then.

16 minutes ago, 5SPORT said:

Hmm, thanks for that, might be a hair dryer job from the outside then.

I doubt a hairdryer will work as you won't be directing the air to the water ingress point. Your best bet is to remove the camera from the bumper - relatively easy job - gently detach the cable and check that the 4 tiny pins are still intact on the camera and that the socket on the cable seems all intact. Dry it once removed if all looks ok. As it has stopped working now, I think you will probably find replacement is the only resolution.

All of the cameras work as in they show a picture on the idrive when the relative button is pressed or when reverse is selected. It's just the 'bong' that won't go away. I'll try the hair dryer  and see what I can do with ISTA over the weekend...

Ok so just a quick update...I've noticed that on the birds eye view on the idrive the left hand side is greyed out so I suspect this is the suspect camera that has packed up.

Question is, where is it located, on the mirror housing somewhere? I will look at the realoem to see if I can find it....

Wonder how much they cost to replace.

20 minutes ago, 5SPORT said:

Ok so just a quick update...I've noticed that on the birds eye view on the idrive the left hand side is greyed out so I suspect this is the suspect camera that has packed up.

Question is, where is it located, on the mirror housing somewhere? I will look at the realoem to see if I can find it....

Wonder how much they cost to replace.

That is not a common issue. The camera for the birds eye view is in the mirror housing so is generally well protected from the elements. The side view camera is available on the bay for around £80 but they are slightly different from the in-mirror ones. I'd get it plugged into ISTA and go through the diagnostics there. It will show you the voltage being drawn by each camera so you can see if it is an electronic glitch or a camera failure. 

Top View camera: 66539240274

Side View camera: 66539240352

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Hair dryer on the wing mirror camera has brought it back to life in terms of getting a normal picture but I still have the bongs going off for the rear and side view cameras even though they are all working fine.

I'll have to run through the initialisation process over the weekend using ISTA which I hope will resolve it once and for all....

1 hour ago, 5SPORT said:

Hair dryer on the wing mirror camera has brought it back to life in terms of getting a normal picture but I still have the bongs going off for the rear and side view cameras even though they are all working fine.

I'll have to run through the initialisation process over the weekend using ISTA which I hope will resolve it once and for all....

You will probably just need to "Learn in" the cameras to stop the error. But there could still be a short in the wiring, water ingress related, that the system isn't happy with.

Started her up this morning and all good, no errors  and all cameras working. Think I got lucky this time and will be extra careful with the jet wash next time, in fact I'll probably use a watering can for those sensitive areas going forward....