Sign in to follow this  
luv2vexx

E60 Heating Problem

Hi

I am new here and starting to learn about these cars. 

I have a 520D 2007.

Recently my car heating system has been failing and getting luke warm in the car after hours of driving. So i read a few threads online and thought i go ahead and change the main thermostat. After installing the new one it made no difference. Maybe i bought the rubbish part from Eurocarparts - Circoli Thermostat. So i goes to my local indy and he said the part maybe rubbish or it may be my EGR thermostat. I didnt want to waste more money on parts i dont require so i did the hidden menu test. This morning the car started at 13c. Drove 8 miles to work about 46min and the temperature got to 80c. i dont know if i should change both thermostat with oem part. Anyone can help me. Thank you

That temperature is on the verge of just about OK but ideally should be high 80/low 90.

There are varied opinions on here whether to go genuine BMW, OEM, ECP, or fit a separate stat in the top hose.

When my E60 was running cool I got both stats replaced with BMW items - no problem since.

The EGR stat is easy to change as perhaps you've already discovered, and most people seem to go for a genuine one I believe.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Although I have the petrol N35 rather than an oil burner, I changed the single stat not long after I got the 5. I opted for a Mahle one from a German seller on Fleabay. 'Interesting' job on an N53 but been great since.

I've looked at various ECP parts for various cars/repairs and I have to admit the last time I got a Circoli stat was for a 3.2 V6 Vectra and it didn't even fit!

If it were me I with that engine I would replace BOTH stats and would be happy to go with Mahle parts again. Look around for best prices and you'll safely undercut BMW prices and most likely your issue will be sorted.

Many thanks for your reply's. It turned out to be the EGR thermostat. I got the old one out and i could blow through it, so it was knackered. 

Car back up running nice and hot again. :) 

Did a test and it was going up to 93c